The Student Room Group

Biology Unit 5 Synoptic Essay

How is everyone revising for the synoptic essay? I'm finding it hard to do well, I've done loads of essays as practise and my teacher marks them as 7-12/25. I really want to be getting 24/25 out of 25 on the essay because I am no good at the rest of the paper. Somebody help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Hello again :smile: I promise I'm not stalking you haha
It's jus that I'm in the same situation
If u don't mind me asking where do you seem to be losing your marks ?
I'm so scared about the essay the fact they could ask us absolutely anything is so annoying :/
One thing that I find I can't get my head around is how do you know if your being relevant for example if the essay is about ATP and u talk about respiration both anaerobic and aerobic in great detail isn't that too much and some parts may be irrelevant :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by aishaahmed96
Hello again :smile: I promise I'm not stalking you haha
It's jus that I'm in the same situation
If u don't mind me asking where do you seem to be losing your marks ?
I'm so scared about the essay the fact they could ask us absolutely anything is so annoying :/
One thing that I find I can't get my head around is how do you know if your being relevant for example if the essay is about ATP and u talk about respiration both anaerobic and aerobic in great detail isn't that too much and some parts may be irrelevant :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Carry on stalking me.. I love it ahaha..
I loose my marks on the scientific content, I honestly don't know what else they want me to write,
It is actually quite scary because I know on the exam I'm probably going to freeze.
Haha :smile:
Hmm I think the only way to solve that is to maybe plan more essays and look at mark schemes to see wat they expect from u and what kind of topics u should have included
I'm usually ok with breadth becoz I always tell my self to include at least 3 or 4 different topics but jus get worried about how much I should write for each section :/
I think if u can plan ur essay and come up with quite a few topic areas that are relevant u will be fine becoz the rest is just regurgitating information from the syllabus and making sure u answer the question in each paragraph
I think the hardest bit is possibly coming up with all the relevant things u can talk about under timed conditions in the exam becoz I would start panicking and think the question is too hard wen it probably isn't :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Haha :smile:
Hmm I think the only way to solve that is to maybe plan more essays and look at mark schemes to see wat they expect from u and what kind of topics u should have included
I'm usually ok with breadth becoz I always tell my self to include at least 3 or 4 different topics but jus get worried about how much I should write for each section :/
I think if u can plan ur essay and come up with quite a few topic areas that are relevant u will be fine becoz the rest is just regurgitating information from the syllabus and making sure u answer the question in each paragraph
I think the hardest bit is possibly coming up with all the relevant things u can talk about under timed conditions in the exam becoz I would start panicking and think the question is too hard wen it probably isn't :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its hard to know how much to write because my teacher always tells us that we need to write enough but if we write too much then the examiner will start to think were just trying to cram a whole load of rubbish into the essay..
Original post by Melon girl
Its hard to know how much to write because my teacher always tells us that we need to write enough but if we write too much then the examiner will start to think were just trying to cram a whole load of rubbish into the essay..

Exactly I worry about waffling too much and writing irrelevant stuff :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Exactly I worry about waffling too much and writing irrelevant stuff :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

its so hard to balance
Have u tried having a look at some model answers ? I reckon that will help us to see the basic structure and see how much detail we need to go into :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Have u tried having a look at some model answers ? I reckon that will help us to see the basic structure and see how much detail we need to go into :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I brought a book but it's very confusing looool
Haha which one is it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha which one is it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-A2-Biology-Writing-Synoptic/dp/1907769005
Omg I do not understand the essay at all!!! :s-smilie: do you literally just have to ramble as much as possible?!
Can I manage to do okay in an essay without including any AS topics? I seriously can't remember anything that I did at AS and I don't have enough time to revise AS biology! :/
Original post by someone01
Can I manage to do okay in an essay without including any AS topics? I seriously can't remember anything that I did at AS and I don't have enough time to revise AS biology! :/

I checked with my teacher an AQA Examiner who has been marking Biology essays each year. He said u can but if you only include content from Unit 5 you cancel out 3 marks for breath but are capable for the rest of the marks assuming SC/QoL/ etc are included.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Freyagator
Omg I do not understand the essay at all!!! :s-smilie: do you literally just have to ramble as much as possible?!

Pretty much but u have to be careful that u don't include irrelevant stuff and make sure u include a couple different areas of the spec from different topics/units as well as off the spec stuff which is worth 2 marks I believe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PharmacyDoctor
I checked with my teacher an AQA Examiner who has been marking Biology essays each year. He said u can but if you only include content from Unit 5 you cancel out 3 marks for breath but are capable for the rest of the marks assuming SC/QoL/ etc are included.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about if I include content from unit 4 as well? Would I straight lose the 3 marks for not including any AS content, or would they give me at least 1 or 2 marks?

Hmm I'm not sure about that I guess if u include different topics from unit 4 and 5 u should be ok but if not u would probably lose one mark for breadth
I would say if u can't remember anything to mayb spend a few hours quickly skimming though the As content at the very least
Also have a look at mark schemes and model answers and make lists to plan your essay rather than writing them if u don't have enough time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm I'm not sure about that I guess if u include different topics from unit 4 and 5 u should be ok but if not u would probably lose one mark for breadth
I would say if u can't remember anything to mayb spend a few hours quickly skimming though the As content at the very least
Also have a look at mark schemes and model answers and make lists to plan your essay rather than writing them if u don't have enough time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I will try to have a quick read through my AS book if I have any time left but I rather losing 1 or 2 marks for breath than losing a lot of marks on the rest of the paper for not having revised unit 5 properly. The only thing I can remember from AS is probably enzymes, but I have forgotten the rest of the book! :frown:
Yeah, I will try to have a quick read through my AS book if I have any time left but I rather losing 1 or 2 marks for breath than losing a lot of marks on the rest of the paper for not having revised unit 5 properly. The only thing I can remember from AS is probably enzymes, but I have forgotten the rest of the book! :frown:

I think you will remember more that that
I was in exactly the same situation I thought I had forgotten everything but luckily I have friends who are resitting unit 1 and 2 bio so they would ask me for help and I would revise with them and I realised I remembered a lot more than I thought :smile:
Mayb u could get someone to ask you questions from ur AS book and see how much u remember and then only go over bits that u really can't remember at all good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending