The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redferry
I feel like that is genuinely what a footballer SHOULD do in that situation.

Tactically it makes sense.

SLF is criticising the rules, not the player.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Not necessarily though, the prime. Example is Suarez v Ghana back in WC2010 - handling it stopped the goal that would have knocked them out, and they went on to win on penalties. Now, how do Ghana benefit in that situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They get a penalty to still have a chance of scoring and one man extra on the field? It's not Uruguays fault that Ghana missed the penalty straight after and then lost on penalty shoot out.

No different to a last defender fouling a striker inside the box who could of scored to concede a penalty and get sent off and if they miss its their own fault.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Midlander
In the case of somebody preventing a goal by deliberate handball I think a 'penalty goal' should be awarded and the offender booked.

For cases where it's denying an 'obvious goalscoring opportunity' it's a bit harder. I recently re-qualified as a referee and we were told that IFAB is considering an amendment to the rules on this whereby only if the penalty is missed does the offender get sent off and if it's outside the area I assume automatic red.

This is still open to abuse though as a team might decide to deliberately miss to get a one man advantage.

But even if the penalty is missed they were still given the 'obvious goalscoring opportunity' by having that penalty - there is no guarantee that the attacking team would have scored had the foul not been committed...
Original post by alex_hk90
But even if the penalty is missed they were still given the 'obvious goalscoring opportunity' by having that penalty - there is no guarantee that the attacking team would have scored had the foul not been committed...

No but it's as much to do with the intent to stop someone scoring as it is with the goal being prevented. It's the sort of attitude FIFA want to phase out. A penalty 9 times out of 10 will be harder to score than the opportunity which got denied by a foul.

Open goals, for instance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SLF is criticising the rules, not the player.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I know, I just don't really have a problem with them as they are.
No but it's as much to do with the intent to stop someone scoring as it is with the goal being prevented. It's the sort of attitude FIFA want to phase out. A penalty 9 times out of 10 will be harder to score than the opportunity which got denied by a foul.

Open goals, for instance.

I can see the logic, but I'm not sure if I agree that the penalty will be harder to score than the chance that was denied. A quick search suggests that 85% of penalties are scored (OK, those are stats for the Premier League but I don't imagine the Football League will be too different), whereas I would guess less than 85% of the chances which result in a red card for denying a goal-scoring opportunity are scored (the attacker could miss, the keeper could save it, one of the defenders might get back and make a fair challenge). I couldn't quickly find any stats on one-on-one chances though, so maybe it would be over 85% scored I don't know...
I can see the logic, but I'm not sure if I agree that the penalty will be harder to score than the chance that was denied. A quick search suggests that 85% of penalties are scored (OK, those are stats for the Premier League but I don't imagine the Football League will be too different), whereas I would guess less than 85% of the chances which result in a red card for denying a goal-scoring opportunity are scored (the attacker could miss, the keeper could save it, one of the defenders might get back and make a fair challenge). I couldn't quickly find any stats on one-on-one chances though, so maybe it would be over 85% scored I don't know...

I think what is being got at is that cheating your opponent of a clear chance of scoring a goal is the sort of thing the higher ups are keen to phase out. It's a difficult thing to decide on as both sides of the coin are equally valid I think, but stopping a ball going in with your hands being punished with a penalty is something I don't agree with. You take what would have been a certain goal and replace it with a chance of missing.

A penalty goal and yellow card for the offender would be enough.
I think what is being got at is that cheating your opponent of a clear chance of scoring a goal is the sort of thing the higher ups are keen to phase out. It's a difficult thing to decide on as both sides of the coin are equally valid I think, but stopping a ball going in with your hands being punished with a penalty is something I don't agree with. You take what would have been a certain goal and replace it with a chance of missing.

A penalty goal and yellow card for the offender would be enough.

In that case maybe deliberate handball by an outfield player to stop a goal should be a separate offence, not "denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity" but rather "denying a clear goal"? To punish that with a penalty goal though, the officials would have to be sure it was actually going in (think Oxlade-Chamberlain against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge this season) or they would be making up a goal that never was.

The situation where I do agree to an extent is where the foul happens outside the box when it was a clear goal-scoring opportunity (one-on-one with the keeper with the defender having little to no chance of making a fair challenge in time) - that is a bit harder as a free-kick won't have as high a chance of being converted as a penalty or probably even the chance that was denied.
In that case maybe deliberate handball by an outfield player to stop a goal should be a separate offence, not "denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity" but rather "denying a clear goal"? To punish that with a penalty goal though, the officials would have to be sure it was actually going in (think Oxlade-Chamberlain against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge this season) or they would be making up a goal that never was.

The situation where I do agree to an extent is where the foul happens outside the box when it was a clear goal-scoring opportunity (one-on-one with the keeper with the defender having little to no chance of making a fair challenge in time) - that is a bit harder as a free-kick won't have as high a chance of being converted as a penalty or probably even the chance that was denied.

The key thing is that whatever rules we have are as simple to understand and apply as possible. If the referee thinks that the ball is going in and a player stops it with his hands then that's denying a clear goal as opposed to the chance of one so I agree they should be different. To help with this at higher levels you could easily implement a hawkeye type system where the trajectory of the ball is made unambiguous.

Lower down the ladder obviously this isn't possible but I think we'd all agree that the present 'double punishment' needs changing.
I hate QPR more than the next guy but I can't have that what O'Neill did was cheating, if my teams player hadn't done that I'd be all over him for stealing a living - I can understand the hurt, but their needs to be a bit of understanding of the difference between gaining a advantage and full out cheating.
Orient-Rotherham heading to penalties.
NOOOOO, Orient lost on penalties :frown:

Ahh well, I'm not really an Orient fan but it would of been nice to see my local club get promoted.
(edited 9 years ago)
That's 5 play off finals in a row where the team i've been rooting for has lost.
Steve Evans in the Championship :rofl:
Rotherham were the best team we played this season but how can you not be gutted for Russell Slade, both are better than a third of the teams in the championship.
I'm not sure whether to be sad or happy about Rovrum going up. On one hand they're essentially a rather annoying and small section of Sheff Utd with Steve Evans at the helm. The only benefits being a local away day and a 'derby' cup final to look forward to. Think i'm sad more than anything :lol:
It's Miller delight! Rotherham United beat Leyton Orient on penalties to get to the Championship!

I've got to say, it was captivating stuff. Rotherham tbf, didn't play that badly in the first half to be 2-0 down but had Leyton scored a third, it really would have been game over. Revell's second goal was a beauty (even big Evans did a jog down the touchline!) and had they really pushed, might have nicked a third quickly after that.

You can tell these two teams were tied on points in the league, really close battle but both sides looking to win. Penalties from Leyton Orient were all well taken besides the two missed but brilliant moment for the town. Steve Evans, despite his errors in behaviour in the past, has done a brilliant job but with the right spending, could do enough to survive in the Championship next season.
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
I'm not sure whether to be sad or happy about Rovrum going up. On one hand they're essentially a rather annoying and small section of Sheff Utd with Steve Evans at the helm. The only benefits being a local away day and a 'derby' cup final to look forward to. Think i'm sad more than anything :lol:

Being in the league below Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Brentford and now Rotherham. What a bloody piss take.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Regardless of the money they've spent, all these promotions in recent years are a brilliant achievement. Congratulations Fleetwood.
I'm pleased for Fleetwood, but a special mention to Nathan Pond. Not only did he play for my hometown team Lancaster City but he's been with Fleetwood from the beginning and has now made it to League One after just 10 years. Crazy.

1401140613818.jpg

Here's the league table from Fleetwood's promotion in 2005. Although most of you probably haven't heard of most of these teams, it's strange for me as I've actually played at 4 or 5 of these teams.

Quick Reply

Latest