The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bkw321
Remain cool. What I do is -if i find that i have too much to write- that i quickly rate the things that are most important. Plus planning has always saved me from lagging behind. It's gonna be hard, but with hard work, it;ll be worth it. I'm just struggling with chronology, I'm focusing on that for now. Get that done, and it should be fine. I hope i get the A*.

Thanks for the advice :smile: I too would like an A*, but I can't see it happening now :frown: Good Luck to you!
What topic did you do your coursework on? And do your teachers give any clue as to what mark you got on it; my class isn't told anything at all, not even the general Grade. :smile:
Original post by FringeGal
Are we allowed to pick any 2 questions or is there some sort of rule?

I heard that there would be 3 questions and we can pick any 2, so would I be allowed to pick 2 Elizabeth questions? Or?

There will be three questions and you can pick any two :smile:
Original post by iheartdjokovic
There will be three questions and you can pick any two :smile:

Ah thank you :3

Also, do you know the dates that I must remember?
& any good revision resources?
Reply 143
Hi :smile: Have you managed to find Chapter 5 yet?? Thanks x
Hi I'm freaking out a bit because it seems relatively likely that France might come up and thats a bit of a weak point for me. I was wondering if anyone has a summary on all things French?? Thanks :smile:
I'm just reading through the AQA syllabus, and they seem to think we should be talking about the "growing influence of Puritanism" between 1589-1603: I have almost no evidence of this!! Even the AQA textbook doesn't seem to note this at all...does anyone have any ideas what this could mean?
Reply 146
Original post by sophie231996
Thanks for the advice :smile: I too would like an A*, but I can't see it happening now :frown: Good Luck to you!
What topic did you do your coursework on? And do your teachers give any clue as to what mark you got on it; my class isn't told anything at all, not even the general Grade. :smile:

Oh we did Nazi Germany and I got an A* on that thankfully, well that's what I was told. I only now need a c on liz to get an A but i'm not content with that in any form or way. Good luck to you too!
Reply 147
Original post by brendonbackflip
I'm just reading through the AQA syllabus, and they seem to think we should be talking about the "growing influence of Puritanism" between 1589-1603: I have almost no evidence of this!! Even the AQA textbook doesn't seem to note this at all...does anyone have any ideas what this could mean?

Growing influence? WTH, those years experienced a decline in their influence!
Original post by bkw321
Growing influence? WTH, those years experienced a decline in their influence!

Yeah that's what I thought! Maybe it's sarcasm...?
Reply 149
I really struggle with Puritanism/Presbyterianism and can't find any example essays anywhere, does anyone have any good essays or essay plans? Or just a summary and some knowledge? It would really help me out
Also I really hope France doesn't come up. What would you write about for 45 marks? I don't think I could do that. Praying for the decline of Elizabeth's authority and a good Edward and Mary question but last year's paper was really good so this year it will probably be disgusting
Reply 150
Original post by brendonbackflip
Yeah that's what I thought! Maybe it's sarcasm...?

Puritanism and especially Presbyterianism started dying out didn't it? The leading puritan sympathisers at court such as Walsingham and Leicester started dying out, and the religious predicament/unity by the end of her reign shows clearly that Puritanism's growing influence had long passed. Like god knows how many years past!
im super nervous the exam is a couple of days away :s-smilie:
does any one have any predictions for what might come up, in particular predictions for the synoptic question
Can anyone really motivated make a list of all the past questions and then compare them to the example questions in the book?

to see if the exams do questions from the book sometimes
Original post by annmcc
I really struggle with Puritanism/Presbyterianism and can't find any example essays anywhere, does anyone have any good essays or essay plans? Or just a summary and some knowledge? It would really help me out
Also I really hope France doesn't come up. What would you write about for 45 marks? I don't think I could do that. Praying for the decline of Elizabeth's authority and a good Edward and Mary question but last year's paper was really good so this year it will probably be disgusting

I suppose for France it would be a question on what was the main influence on French (they may do France and Scotland) foreign policy across the whole of the reign, religion or security?
that would be easy enough to make comparisons between-especially with the St Bartholomew's day massacre.

I have some summary/plan type thing of radical Protestants (prezzies, purritans, separatists), on how much of a threat they posed to Elizabeth I's religious conformity.
i think now though, the question on the Protestants would be something like how well did Elizabeth deal with their threat.
so that plan would be kind of useless.
Original post by bkw321
Puritanism and especially Presbyterianism started dying out didn't it? The leading puritan sympathisers at court such as Walsingham and Leicester started dying out, and the religious predicament/unity by the end of her reign shows clearly that Puritanism's growing influence had long passed. Like god knows how many years past!

Puritanism got assimilated into the mainstream Church.
it was never a separate thing to begin with really, just a very radical part.
Reply 155
Original post by IllmaticDragon
Puritanism got assimilated into the mainstream Church.
it was never a separate thing to begin with really, just a very radical part.

There were those who wanted to reform it from within such as Grindal, Cox etc, but they were seen as sellouts by there much more radical contempories, those deprived were in fact those outside the C.OF.E. Sepratists themselves were aiming for change outside it, and those who did petition for change. Please do explain how they assimilated. They had many bitter congregations that just gave up didn't they? It'd be helpful if you can :biggrin:.
Reply 156
I suppose for France it would be a question on what was the main influence on French (they may do France and Scotland) foreign policy across the whole of the reign, religion or security?
that would be easy enough to make comparisons between-especially with the St Bartholomew's day massacre.

I have some summary/plan type thing of radical Protestants (prezzies, purritans, separatists), on how much of a threat they posed to Elizabeth I's religious conformity.
i think now though, the question on the Protestants would be something like how well did Elizabeth deal with their threat.
so that plan would be kind of useless.

I think if there were to be a puritan/pres question it'd be: "Puritanism and Presbyterianism was a major threat to Elizabeth" - Assess the validity of this view.

If there were a french question could it be a synoptic in all 3 reigns, in a ways. NOW THAT'D BE AWESOME!
Can anyone really motivated make a list of all the past questions and then compare them to the example questions in the book?

Here's a document my teacher did for us which has the questions from the new syllabus and the textbook- plus some my school have done. For the questions under the old style papers, I'm not sure if they are possible questions or have actually appeared :/

June 2011

‘The rebellions which occurred during the reigns of Edward VI and Mary I were mainly political in origin.’ Assess the validity of this view.

How serious a threat to Elizabeth I’s position were Catholic missionary priests and Jesuits?

To what extent was Elizabeth I well served by her ministers throughout her reign?

June 2012

To what extent did royal authority decline in the years 1547 to 1558?

‘Elizabeth I was never able to control her parliaments.’ Assess the validity of this view.

‘It was the impact of war in the Netherlands that was responsible for the deterioration of Anglo-Spanish relations in the years 1558 to 1585.’ Assess the validity of this view.

June 2013

‘Tudor monarchs experienced more failures than successes in dealing with religion in England in the years 1547 to 1587.’ Assess the validity of this view.

To what extent was the deterioration of Anglo-Spanish relations in the years 1559 to 1585 due to disputes concerning overseas trade?

To what extent did royal authority decline in the years 1589 to 1603?

=======================================================
AQA The Triumph of Elizabeth Questions

(The mid-Tudor crisis, 1547-58)
'Between 1547 and 1558 England was torn apart by religious revolution.' Assess the validity of this view.

(The consolidation of Elizabeth's rule, 1558-71)
'By 1571, Elizabeth I had solved most of the internal and external problems that had faced her at the start of her reign.' Assess the validity of this view.

(Defending against internal and external enemies, 1571-88)
'Between 1571 and 1588, the Catholic threat to Elizabeth, both at home and abroad, was easily dealt with.' How convincing is this view?

(The last years of Elizabeth, 1588-1603)
'During the last years of Elizabeth's reign, England became an unstable kingdom, menaced by crisis.' Assess the validity of this view.

'Throughout the whole of her reign, Elizabeth I was faced with significant opposition in parliament.' Assess the validity of this view.
Reply 159
This might be a stupid question but if there was a question on Puritans could you write about Presbyterians as well? And vice versa

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending