The Student Room Group

AQA GCE A2 Geography Unit 3 -12th of June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1360
Totally forgot about a decent case study for the Conflict 40 marker apart from the UN Millennium Development Goals so made up my own one with Afghanistan and the help of security from the UK & US Armed Forces helping development
Original post by hassanakhtaruk
what did u write about the bar chart in weather? :smile:

I said that the tropical storms were increasing in intensity shown with the average rising, which was due to the warming of oceans and the subsequent rising and instability of air. There wasn't a lot to write about to be honest I talked about latent heat and some anomalies in the data as well!! What did you write?
Original post by smooshmeh
Did anyone do the weather and climate essay or was it just me? :frown:
Also how did people find the tectonics questions?

I did it too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did weather and cities questions and tectonics essay what about everyone else?
Unofficial mark scheme for weather tectonics and world cities would be lovely right now!!
Original post by smooshmeh
How did you not like thoes questions? What evidence did you give for tectonic plate movement?

The fact that south america and africa have jigsaw. Alfred wegener
mid alantic ridge, and paleomagnetism
gegoligical evidence
tropical evidence
Reply 1366
Original post by Donnerz
Just had a look at the mark scheme for this question. At the end it says 'any conclusion can be credited as long it's reasonable and relatable to the proceeding content and argument' does that mean I can make a one sided argument as long as it's reasonable? Or do I need discussion between 'for' and 'against'?

Don't worry too much I found it hard to write a decent against argument for it as well
Original post by Donnerz
I said that the tropical storms were increasing in intensity shown with the average rising, which was due to the warming of oceans and the subsequent rising and instability of air. There wasn't a lot to write about to be honest I talked about latent heat and some anomalies in the data as well!! What did you write?

OMG I Said the same! Talked about climate change mostly and how that affected warming of ocean etc
Original post by Donnerz

omg saaaame!! soo happy!! thank u :biggrin:
Original post by oJNAo
Don't worry too much I found it hard to write a decent against argument for it as well

Nice, the question itself kind of sent us down an alley and didn't really allow us to argue our point, so I don't think they'll penalise us for the lack of argument- I hope not anyway
Original post by Alp1
I found world cities a hard 7 marker, I would be interested in what themes plate tectonic essay people used?

Alfred Wegener
Various plate margins
Hotspots
Paleomagnetism
Mesosaurus - found in South America and Africa

Oops, that was for the 10 marker
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha, that exam was hilariously interesting. I did the following:

Section A - Tectonics
Section B - Dev & Glob
Section C - Conflicts

In the Dev&Glob section, for the 10-marker on "new markets and new technologies" did other people write about the Arab States? I starting talking about how as North Sea oil in the UK and Alaskan oil in the USA have depleted they have become more dependent on the Gulf States such as Saudi Arabia who have over 200 billion barrels of oil and a sovereign wealth fund in excess of $450 billion. I then also talked about how how these economies have begun to diversify - tourism in the UAE with cities like Dubai amalgamating Western consumerism with an Islamic state. I then spoke about South Korea and how they hope to become the world's largest trader in robotics by 2050 and how this suggests that there is a new age of globalisation - we had the first wave in the manufacturing industry with China, the second wave with the services industry with India and now a third wave of robotics, perhaps? It's very tenuous - I have done terrible!!

And don't get me started on the Conflicts essay - 'No development without security and no security without development'...

I started talking about Afghanistan and then I started talking about Somalia and how there is potential for great development with their proximity to the oil-rich Arab countries but this is being stifled by piracy in the Gulf of Aden and internal conflicts which prevent development taking place. I then linked that to neighbouring Ethiopia - they suffer with the 'bad neighbour' effect - and said if Somalia can utilise the potenial for oil on it's coasts by making them secure then that should lead to better infrastructure and therefore wider development in the region, particularly for neighbouring landlocked country. I then did a paragraph on the Gaza Strip and how they have developed substantially considering the disastrous security issues regarding Israel so if that conflict is resolved and security in place then Palestine can utilise its youthful population - more then half are under 18 - and begin development further.

tl;dr --- I talked about a load of rubbish and this exam is an absolute fail of an event. :frown:
Original post by Kumis
OMG that exam was so easy wow. I'll get full marks easy. Thank. God for easy AlevelsAlevels

are you for real?
Original post by LukeH96
I mentioned technology about predicting the earthquakes and new buildings being able to be designed to withstand earthquakes. I constantly comapred pros and cons of technology using my two case studies, l'aquila and Kashmir then mentioned about other ways such as planning, evacuations, education, emergency services and concluded by saying the best way to reduce the impacts is a mix of all factors

I essentially wrote the same as this. I thought it was a reasonable question
Didn't go as bad as I thought!
The only questions which went bad were the ones on island arcs and trenches (forgot what island arc was so wrote in loads of detail about trench with diagram)
And the photograph in conflict structured wasn't great

Also, hypothetically speaking, what is the max mark you can get in a 40 marker with absolutely no case studies? (Don't worry I put them in)
I did the tectonics 40 mark essay and I wrote the wrong type of plate boundary for my earthquakes! Majorly worrying now that it will really affect my marks! D:
I did the TNCs 40 marker:

intro: define globalisation and TNCs, plus outline their relationship
para1: South Korean Chaebols evolving into modern day TNCs + boosting asian growth
para2: TNCs and India as a service economy
Para3: Free trade groups and TNCs
para4: Apple case study + spatial organisation
para5: social impacts
para6: economic impacts
para7: geographic impacts
That was an easy exam but Kumis is still a dick.
Did anyone else bring in the ISIS group that have started taking control of towns in the past few days?

I used that example in the Conflicts essay! :tongue:

The British-US troops trained the Afghan National Army which would suggest that the nation can begin securing parts of the country BUT with Western-trained troops in Iraq fleeing at the sight of insurgency from the Iraqi militia group ISIS taking control of cities in Iraq, there is little sign of hope for the Afghan National Army protecting Afghanistan from the Taliban!
How do we revise morpeth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending