The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Accommodation - Find your new housemates 2014!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi,

If you give us some more information about your situation, we should be able to point you in the direction of people who can help you.

Firstly, are you planning on applying for University accommodation (i.e. accommodation owned and managed by the University of Sheffield) or private rented accommodation? Because if you're apply for University accommodation, you will definitely be given a set moving in date in September of either Saturday 20th or Sunday 21st. Moving dates for private accommodation will vary depending on the letting agent, whether there is a previous tenant that has to move out, etc. This may mean you can be more flexible on moving date, but it also might be slightly more difficult for you to find a place if you do not live in Sheffield, as you will have to arrange viewings and meet any existing housemates etc.

When you will receive funding will depend on what type of funding you are applying for - are you applying for a Student Loan through the Student Loans company? Or are you applying for funding/ a bursary through the University or the through the NHS?

If you can give us a few more facts about your situation we'll be able to advise you more specifically.

Let us know!

Best wishes,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield

Thanks Georgie
It's private rented accommodation that I'm looking at. I applied for a deluxe room at Endcliffe too, but if that falls through (as there are only 29 rooms) I will then move into privately rented accommodation.
I've always lived in Sheffield, so I'm hoping to receive the city scholars bursary. I'm also from a low income family so I should receive the maximum amount for grants.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by lara_disco
Thanks Georgie
It's private rented accommodation that I'm looking at. I applied for a deluxe room at Endcliffe too, but if that falls through (as there are only 29 rooms) I will then move into privately rented accommodation.
I've always lived in Sheffield, so I'm hoping to receive the city scholars bursary. I'm also from a low income family so I should receive the maximum amount for grants.

Hi Lara,

If you're applying for a student loan through Student Finance England (or equivalent) then you can expect to receive your money just before the start of Intro Week in September. This will include your maintenance loan and maintenance grant. I am unsure when University bursaries are confirmed as it tends to vary depending on circumstance, but you can email our Financial Support Team on [email protected] and they should be able to give you a clearer idea.

Are you awaiting A Level results? If so, you won't have your room in university accommodation confirmed until after you've received your results and had your offer at Sheffield made unconditional. The University Accommodation team guarantee a place in university accommodation to all full-time study applicants who put the University of Sheffield as their first choice on their UCAS application (more on this here). If you fulfill the terms of the guarantee, the Accommodation Team will find a place to house you, and will try their best to make sure you get your first choice accommodation. You can contact them for more information about this by emailing [email protected] (or they also answer queries on Twitter - @SheffUniAccom).

Also be aware that they type of room you have applied for is not the most popular (hence why there are fewer of them) - the majority of students will apply for single en-suite rooms in mixed-sex apartments. This may help your chances of securing the room you want, although again this is something you might want to check with the Accommodation team as obviously we can offer no guarantees of this. However (as stated above) if you meet the conditions of the guarantee, the Accommodation team will have a room for you regardless - you won't be homeless!

The time you can move into privately rented accommodation depends on circumstances. If you are looking for a small flat to rent on your own or a room in a shared house, you should be able to start your search now, if you want to. However, be aware of moving dates when you are looking - if a flat says it is available now, the landlord will be wanting a tenant to move in as soon as possible. Even if the moving date is further down the line (say August or September), the landlord will want to secure tenants as soon as they can, so it is unlikely that they will be willing to hold the property until after you've heard about whether you've secured your university-owned accommodation, especially if someone comes along who can definitely say they will be moving in on a set date.

However, I wouldn't get too worried about waiting until after you've heard about university accommodation to start your search properly (if you need to, that is). There is plenty of private accommodation in Sheffield and you should be able to find something to suit you, either by yourself, in a shared house or in one of the privately ran student-orientated halls that operate in every university city. That being said, it's definitely a good idea to do some general research in advance (decide on the type of accommodation you want, where you want to live, and have a list of potential properties you'd like to look at) so that you're not totally in the dark when you start booking viewings. Use sites like Rightmove and Zoopla to find properties or, if you're after a room in a shared house, use Gumtree or accommodationforstudents.com.

Be aware that the process of finding a room in private halls of residence may be different, as they specifically cater to student needs (and function in much the same way as university halls), so they might have a different application process - it is worth getting in touch with these directly to ask what this application process might be. Some go through letting agents, some deal with students directly - it really does tend to vary, but its no information you can't find out through a couple of quick phone calls.

Please be aware that all of this is based on personal experience - I have lived in Sheffield since I started as an undergraduate student in 2008 and have plenty of experience property hunting and moving around the city! With this in mind, I would always advise speaking to the landlord/ letting agent of a property you like before you book the viewing and outlining your circumstances - they will always be honest if they think its worth you viewing the property or not.

If you want more advice about renting private accommodation as a student, I definitely recommend getting in touch with our propertywithUS team and discussing your situation with them - they are a university team who are dedicated to helping and advising students looking for private accommodation. This is their website and you can contact them on 0114 2226058 or by emailing [email protected]. They also have a great list of rooms in shared houses on their books, which is very useful.

I hope that information has helped you out a bit - if you have any more questions, I'm very happy to answer them.

Best wishes,

Thank you so much for your help and advice doll! Xxxx
Original post by lara_disco
Thank you so much for your help and advice doll! Xxxx

No problem at all :smile: Any more questions, either drop us a message on here, tweet us @SSiDSheffield or send us a message through our Facebook page.

Best of luck with your accommodation plans!

Reply 44
Hi, we thought we'd make this thread to try and find anyone else who will be moving into Ravenstones D5 this September. We have been living in the apartment over the past year with some third years who have now graduated. Between us we study Biomedical Science, Maths, Landscape Architecture and History :smile:

Hi, is there any way that I can move in earlier?
Heyy, I'm in the flat below you. Just hoping this year that the person in the room above me is aware that I can hear an awful lot of what goes on in their room.

That poor matress took some serious abuse.
Original post by kaypeekaypee
Hi, is there any way that I can move in earlier?

I know some of the internationals who come for 'orientation week' move into halls on the friday (This is how we didn't realise one of our flatmates had arrived - awkward...) Whether home students can, I don't know. Email accommodation to ask, worst case scenario, you'll be told no.
So it looks as though the accommodation contracts are coming through today! I thought it would be nice to try and find our future housemates for the next year~
As for me, I'll be in C3 Yarncliffe, studying Biomedical Sciences, what about you guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in Yarncliffe G1 and studying Bioengineering! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same building, different floor :biggrin: Well, I look forward to meeting you in September :smile:
Ravenstones D4 baby! 3rd year Chemist, I'll warn you now, I bake a LOT when I'm stressed.
I dunno why they'd start giving them out Friday if they don't work Saturday and Sunday as the people who didn't get rooms first will start freaking out probably.
(totally one of them)
Original post by Nigerian Knight
I dunno why they'd start giving them out Friday if they don't work Saturday and Sunday as the people who didn't get rooms first will start freaking out probably.
(totally one of them)

You're a gap year-er I assume? Your offer will come through, I promise. If you applied for Endcliffe, you'll probably get it. If you've gone for Ranmoor, then you DEFINITELY will get it.
Original post by .snowflake.
You're a gap year-er I assume? Your offer will come through, I promise. If you applied for Endcliffe, you'll probably get it. If you've gone for Ranmoor, then you DEFINITELY will get it.

Nah, I'm an EU student but I got my exam results a month ago so my offer's unconditional.
I just want to see what room I got, I'm worried it'll be on the first floor and I really don't want it to be :frown:
Nah, I'm an EU student but I got my exam results a month ago so my offer's unconditional.
I just want to see what room I got, I'm worried it'll be on the first floor and I really don't want it to be :frown:

If you do end up on first floor, they'll be a few doors between the hallway and your flat. I know someone who was in the ground floor flat in my block, and he never complained about the noise..
Reply 56
I know it's early and a lot of people don't know about their accomodation yet but for those who have I think it'd be nice to say hi, I'm looking forward to meeting you all in September!
(There's also a Cratcliffe Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/608126849307942/ for those who are interested, there are only two of us so far and it's pretty lonely!)
(totally one of them)

I know how you feel. What part of Europe are you from?
Reply 58
I'm from Italy, strarting MSc East Asian Business and staying at Broad Lane Court, flat 29! :smile:
Reply 59
Hi anybody staying in Howden?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending