The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Help with choosing courses.

Hi Folks.
I am seeking abit of advise. Im starting my education out again (age 19) I had some personal issues at school but over the last 2 years have been focused and determined to get back into education. I would like to go to Anglia Ruskin University and study a BSC Hons in computer science. I have worked in the Industry for 5 years hands on experience in consultancy, and have taken various certifications that Unfortunately in terms of education don't stand for much, the first is CompTIA A+ 801/802 , I also took a IGCSE in ICT, both of which went well, I need to take at least 3 more GCSE's and maybe 2 / 3 A level Cambridge Regional college recommended i take the 2 year extended diploma, I am not keen to spend 2 years at college but will If i have to, I was thinking about other options maybe doing the 1 year fast track diploma (equivalent to 1 A level) and maybe taking external candidate A levels. I am happy to study every living moment and put every bit of effort it, what would the recommended route be? Ruskin is a popular university so i want to make my application as strong as possible.

Thanks
James
Reply 1
Original post by JamesDavidKnight
Hi Folks.
I am seeking abit of advise. Im starting my education out again (age 19) I had some personal issues at school but over the last 2 years have been focused and determined to get back into education. I would like to go to Anglia Ruskin University and study a BSC Hons in computer science. I have worked in the Industry for 5 years hands on experience in consultancy, and have taken various certifications that Unfortunately in terms of education don't stand for much, the first is CompTIA A+ 801/802 , I also took a IGCSE in ICT, both of which went well, I need to take at least 3 more GCSE's and maybe 2 / 3 A level Cambridge Regional college recommended i take the 2 year extended diploma, I am not keen to spend 2 years at college but will If i have to, I was thinking about other options maybe doing the 1 year fast track diploma (equivalent to 1 A level) and maybe taking external candidate A levels. I am happy to study every living moment and put every bit of effort it, what would the recommended route be? Ruskin is a popular university so i want to make my application as strong as possible.

Thanks
James

Personally I would not do the fast track diploma and A-levels at the same time. I would either do the 2 year diploma, or just do the 1 year fast track on its own and then apply for the extended degree at Anglia Ruskin http://www.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/prospectus/ugft/media_internet_tech_g450.html
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
In these cases, I'd possibly try and contact the university admission tutors directly and explain your situation and see what they would recommend as a course of action. It might very well be that you may still be able to apply with the years of experience you have instead of having to needlessly spend money on education.

Give them a call and see what they have to say. :smile:
Hi, thank-you for taking the time to respond, unfortunately when I contacted then university the basically said I could apply but have little chance, they suggested I should have at least the minimum entrance requirement being a popular university.

I am happy to study and a lot of my fees have been covered until now because of my circumstances so finance isn't too much of an issue, I'm just very un keen to spend 2 years at college. (But if needs must) I will. I am strongly considering the diploma (because of my experience already I have the equivalent to this in terms of my professional cert) and maybe a A level in IT again because of my experience I'm hoping I won't find it too difficult and one last a level in business studies in which I focus most of efforts?

Thanks
James
Unfortunately they entry requirements for that course are the same "2 A levels , 3 GCSEs)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending