The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crazy92
I expect to earn at least £52k pa straight out of uni.

Do you think my bubble will burst, or is it unrealistic?

What do you think?

If you have an S&T/Prop Trading offer in hand, then it's completely realistic. Your total comp could be in £60-70k
Original post by CJKay
I just looked through all the links on that page and I can't find anything mention those four.

In all likelihood you will be slaving away on almost little sleep and being bored out of your mind on £100k as well. It's pretty much a bell curve of salary:slavery.

Use the arrow keys to the right of the pictures.

Or here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9441915/Graduate-jobs-top-10-starting-salaries.html?image=6
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9441915/Graduate-jobs-top-10-starting-salaries.html?image=8
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9441915/Graduate-jobs-top-10-starting-salaries.html?image=9
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9441915/Graduate-jobs-top-10-starting-salaries.html?image=10

I do agree with you to a point: the hours tend to decrease as you rise throughout the ranks though - albeit not by much.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CJKay
There is nowhere that is going to pay a new graduate near that amount. New grads are risky enough without paying them such huge salaries. The vast majority of degrees will start you out on about 18k-25k, with the higher end ones reaching around £30k.

It was a bit of a loaded question to highlight the inaccuracy of the information in this thread.

That is roughly (+/- 2k) what my starting salary is in my offer letter. My job starts next week.

So, clearly there is somewhere that is willing to pay someone that kind of money as a fresh graduate.
Solicitor. Hope to earn approximately 40k while training and 100k once qualified.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
If you have an S&T/Prop Trading offer in hand, then it's completely realistic. Your total comp could be in £60-70k

That's the case.

It was a loaded question aimed at the guy who said that we should all wind our necks in and stop being "unrealistic".

People who encourage other people to not be ambitious drive me crazy.
Original post by Undisclosed 15
Solicitor. Hope to earn approximately 40k while training and 100k once qualified.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are aiming for city firms, then that sounds realistic for the training salary. 100k once qualified is a bit high, but 2 years+ PQ and 100k would be more accurate, just not straight away PQ. (I'm not sure if that's what you meant though).
Reply 206

I get completely different slides to the ones you've linked but okay.

All but law and investment banking are "around £30k", like I said. Neither IB nor law are near £52k though. Regarding law, it seems only the London firms pay particularly above average (http://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/law-solicitors/310759-how-much-will-you-earn-as-a-trainee-solicitor) with £23k to £36k outside of London (which is certainly well above average, but nothing spectacular for what most people expect).

IB, expectedly, is ridiculously high, but then again they have some of the highest stress levels of the population, and not even for any good reason (other than, obviously, to make money).

Original post by Crazy92
It was a bit of a loaded question to highlight the inaccuracy of the information in this thread.

That is roughly (+/- 2k) what my starting salary is in my offer letter. My job starts next week.

So, clearly there is somewhere that is willing to pay someone that kind of money as a fresh graduate.

What is roughly +/-2k?
Original post by CJKay

All but law and investment banking are "around £30k", like I said. Neither IB nor law are near £52k though. Regarding law, it seems only the London firms pay particularly above average (http://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/law-solicitors/310759-how-much-will-you-earn-as-a-trainee-solicitor) with £23k to £36k outside of London (which is certainly well above average, but nothing spectacular for what most people expect).

IB, expectedly, is ridiculously high, but then again they have some of the highest stress levels of the population, and not even for any good reason (other than, obviously, to make money).

What is roughly +/-2k?

Plus or minus £2,000. I never give my exact salary. It means my starting salary is in the range of £50,000 to £54,000 in simple terms.
Original post by Crazy92
That's the case.

It was a loaded question aimed at the guy who said that we should all wind our necks in and stop being "unrealistic".

People who encourage other people to not be ambitious drive me crazy.

Ah, right! Haha, didn't quite catch that.

Yeah, it really irks me too.
Original post by CJKay

What is roughly +/-2k?

That's completely incorrect. Please stop commenting on something you clearly know nothing about.

The total comp for IB grads in London this year is between £50,000-£54,000. Last time I checked the average of this range is £52,000. Which, surprisingly, is close to £52,000.....

I can't speak for law though, I don't know as much about it.
Reply 210
Original post by Crazy92
That's completely incorrect. Please stop commenting on something you clearly know nothing about.

The total comp for IB grads in London this year is between £50,000-£54,000. Last time I checked the average of this range is £52,000. Which, surprisingly, is close to £52,000.....

I can't speak for law though, I don't know as much about it.

So then why are you giving me links that contradict that and claim they support your argument?
Refreshingly realistic expectations from most people :h:
Original post by CJKay
So then why are you giving me links that contradict that and claim they support your argument?

He didn't give you links, I did. And, yes the £45k figure is slightly old as most banks have increased base to £50k
Original post by Crazy92
If you are aiming for city firms, then that sounds realistic for the training salary. 100k once qualified is a bit high, but 2 years+ PQ and 100k would be more accurate, just not straight away PQ. (I'm not sure if that's what you meant though).

You are correct. I meant 100k after 2-3 years experience. On qualifying, I am hoping for a salary of around 65k assuming I a 'make it' at a city firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scienceisgood
Anyone know the average wage for a science teacher at secondary school (including sixth form) some 10 years after getting your PGCE?

Probably about 30k. Depending on whether you take an additional responsibility or can prove you deserve a pay rise from the 21k starting wage.
Original post by CJKay

I think that you will find that I didn't provide you with any links. That was another user.

So, I hope that answers that question....
You are correct. I meant 100k after 2-3 years experience. On qualifying, I am hoping for a salary of around 65k assuming I a 'make it' at a city firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh I think those numbers are pretty spot on from what I have heard.

Best of luck, hope you make it!
Reply 217
Original post by Crazy92
I think that you will find that I didn't provide you with any links. That was another user.

So, I hope that answers that question....

My bad. I'm losing track of my notifications.
Original post by Datta10
Is expecting a starting salary of 28k ok for software engineers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds pretty reasonable - I'm paid 18K pro rata for my summer job software engineering and they offered me 40K when I finish my degree if I wish to take it and they have a vacancy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wildly unrealistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending