The Student Room Group

Endsleigh Insurance - when they say 'PC' do they include laptops?

We've had Endsleigh insurance for the last two years but they've stopped doing the group insurance we had. It seems the equivalent version is the 'room cover' which says it includes 'Up to £2,000 cover for individual items (including PCs and TVs)' - but later when you get a policy document it says laptops are only included if specified. Obviously the actual definition of 'PC' includes laptops, but we want to be sure.

Are there any endsleigh reps out there or people who've taken out the 'room cover' who can tell us?

Also the numbers don't add up - basic cost is £15 + £19 for the room cover, but it gives a total of £42

:s-smilie:
Reply 1
Probably not. It usually doesn't cover portable devices (i.e. mobiles, tablets, laptops) so you need to add them separately, from what I remember.

I had a desktop, so I didn't have to add anything on to my cover, but I remember most of my flat mates adding on for laptops. Not entirely sure, but given it's so much easier to steal a laptop it's logical.
Reply 2
The insurance we had last year and the year before cost £39 each and covered anything up to the value of about £1000 - I can't believe how much it appears we'll have to pay to get the same cover this year - seems like about £100 each!

Anyone got suggestions where we can get cheaper insurance? We've looked at a few but they're even worse :frown:
Original post by zephyrdragon
The insurance we had last year and the year before cost £39 each and covered anything up to the value of about £1000 - I can't believe how much it appears we'll have to pay to get the same cover this year - seems like about £100 each!

Anyone got suggestions where we can get cheaper insurance? We've looked at a few but they're even worse :frown:

Why don't you just look after your things properly, and not take out expensive insurance? It's not hard to put your laptop in a case and drawer, and lock your doors and windows at night and when you're not in during the day.
Reply 4
Original post by Groundearth
Why don't you just look after your things properly, and not take out expensive insurance? It's not hard to put your laptop in a case and drawer, and lock your doors and windows at night and when you're not in during the day.

There is a reason insurance exists - not just because there are stupid people out there who don't close their windows when they go out (I believe that often invalidates insurance actually)! It's not hard to break a window and take something, and it's hard to hide a large TV. Hiding things won't necessarily deter a burglar either - if they know it's in the house but might be hidden somewhere it's probably not that difficult.
Original post by zephyrdragon
There is a reason insurance exists - not just because there are stupid people out there who don't close their windows when they go out (I believe that often invalidates insurance actually)! It's not hard to break a window and take something, and it's hard to hide a large TV. Hiding things won't necessarily deter a burglar either - if they know it's in the house but might be hidden somewhere it's probably not that difficult.

The main reason insurance exists is to scare people into giving insurance companies ludicrous amounts of money. Burglars assume a laptop and TV are in every house; that point is irrelevant. Why are you being so security concious? Realistically you are not going to get burgled and you will be paying extortionate insurance premiums every year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending