The Student Room Group

Working Out What I Need For A 2:1

I recently got back my results for my second year, which I wasn't too happy with. There were reason for a few bad modules that I won't go into here.

I'm trying to work out what I need to get in my final year to get a 2:1.

The weighting for my course is 40:60 (2nd:3rd year), and for the second year I got an average of 51%.

Maths isn't my strongest area. It's a good job I'm not doing a maths degree...

Thanks.
Reply 1
If my maths is correct, to get an overall average of 60% (2:1) you'd need to get 66% in your final year. One thing to bear in mind is that some universities may consider you for a higher degree classification if you're on the borderline, so you could potentially get a 2:1 with an overall average of 58/59%.
Reply 2
Original post by Elmand
If my maths is correct, to get an overall average of 60% (2:1) you'd need to get 66% in your final year. One thing to bear in mind is that some universities may consider you for a higher degree classification if you're on the borderline, so you could potentially get a 2:1 with an overall average of 58/59%.

Thanks Elmand.

Getting 66% is definitely doable. I usually average around there. Unfortunately, I had three bad modules and a couple of bad exams this year. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Will_SCC
Thanks Elmand.

Getting 66% is definitely doable. I usually average around there. Unfortunately, I had three bad modules and a couple of bad exams this year. :frown:

Easy way to work it out - 51/100x40=20.4
60-20.4=39.6
39.6/60x100=66

It's definitely doable my friend.
Check your universities policy too - in my university if a certain percentage of modules are at a 2.1 including the dissertation and your overall average is 57.5 or higher, you get a 2.1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending