The Student Room Group

Two dads meet their newborn son

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MostUncivilised
Studies show children are actually better off in families where the parents are a gay couple

Surely that's only because two men can only adopt, and families willing to adopt are those who are better off anyway?
Original post by interact
A childs need should be considered first and foremost. Forcing children to be raised without either a mother and fathers love, when it is not necessary is child abuse imo. No studies have ever been made into what the lasting impact of all this is going to be be, but we already have cases of children who have been been born with IVF, with a donated sperm having major psychological issues, with mothers themselves regretting taking away their children's right to a father. Adopting and fostering are altogether a different situation.

I don't want a pathetic, moronic response but is it child abuse when a mother dies in a car crash, and the father has to raise them by himself? They are isolated incidents.

How can you access the needs of a child who is not even born yet? Every child is different. You have a pre conceived idea that the new nuclear family unit is best. But children from nuclear can also have psychological issues. Many children in the world right are raised fatherless but doesn't stop them being successful i.e. President Obama.
Original post by MostUncivilised
So I take it by your avoidance of a straight question that you have no evidence that there was bias in the study?

I do have evidence, you're clearly just bias towards them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by interact
I do have evidence, you're clearly just bias towards them.

:lol: You haven't even mentioned this evidence, which would suggest there is none.
(edited 9 years ago)
I bet they will be better parents than most heterosexual parents. Gay men are bullied, threatened and abused an awful lot, and become stronger because of it. They will understand that their child will grow up to be an individual, no matter what sexuality.
Does anyone else find it weird how the two "fathers" pushed the surrogate out of the way? Like they gave birth to the baby? I get that they want to get the bonding in ASAP however something is quite wrong in that image.
Original post by Marky Mark
Does anyone else find it weird how the two "fathers" pushed the surrogate out of the way? Like they gave birth to the baby? I get that they want to get the bonding in ASAP however something is quite wrong in that image.

I agree. There is something quite creepy about the photo (no homophobia, I am gay myself and I want to have children... but these fathers seem unbelievably self-absorbed, and more than pushing the surrogate aside, I think they've almost pushed the baby aside.. this moment is clearly all about them)
By 'nature', I mean the normal and natural way in which God designed a male and a female to have a child. Two dads having a son, therefore, is not natural and so is going against nature.
The fact that you went through university studying philosophy and claiming that you know the different ways in which the word 'nature' is used is quite shocking as you couldn't understand a simple concept. But I'm guessing you're just trying not to understand it as it involves God and I'm guessing you don't believe in God so there's no point arguing with you as your rigid views won't change.
Just cleared out a massive off-topic argument. Refrain from insulting each other and going off topic when responding, or I will close the thread.
Original post by Nadine_08
If things like this are being accepted in today's society and being considered 'normal' then in a century, you'll be seeing something like a brother and sister getting married.

Ah, the slippery slope argument. Anything to actually back this up? Because the same sort of thing was said when inter-racial marriages were legalised - that'd it'd lead to incest/polygamy/bestiality being legal, and yet that's never panned out. The slope isn't as slippery as you think it is.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Ah, the slippery slope argument. Anything to actually back this up? Because the same sort of thing was said when inter-racial marriages were legalised - that'd it'd lead to incest/polygamy/bestiality being legal, and yet that's never panned out. The slope isn't as slippery as you think it is.

Nope, I don't have anything to back it up as nobody knows what the future holds but the fact that in the past, homosexuality wasn't accepted but now it is tells us something, doesn't it?
You never know- incest, polygamy and bestiality may be legalised in the future. Homosexuality took time for it to be accepted into society.
By the way, have you heard about that mother who wanted to marry her son because she claimed that they 'fell in love with each other'. Cases like this just show how the world's society is changing.
Nope, I don't have anything to back it up as nobody knows what the future holds but the fact that in the past, homosexuality wasn't accepted but now it is tells us something, doesn't it?
You never know- incest, polygamy and bestiality may be legalised in the future. Homosexuality took time for it to be accepted into society.
By the way, have you heard about that mother who wanted to marry her son because she claimed that they 'fell in love with each other'. Cases like this just show how the world's society is changing.

This doesn't show how society is changing at all. Incestuous attractions have existed since time immemorial and just as they were deemed inappropriate back then they are still regarded as so today.

However homosexual relationships were recognised and accepted along side heterosexual relationships BEFORE abrahamic religions came about and altered that fact. The legalisation of marriage between homosexuals hasn't changed anything but rather it has reversed a change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And if we'd sat here 2000 years ago, you could change that round - homosexuality was accepted and now isn't. Still, what you're arguing is because this happened, unrelated thing you don't like could happen - those who opposed interracial marriages said the same thing 50 years ago - it's as wrong now as it was then.
By 'nature', I mean the normal and natural way in which God designed a male and a female to have a child. Two dads having a son, therefore, is not natural and so is going against nature.

If it was made that way by god, it's not natural.

So you are linking that story about the incest to homosexuality.....how exactly?
You're not God to decide that.

Cthulu spoke to me and said it was ok and that homosexuality and gay marriage wouldn't lead to the end of all things as we know it. But then I stubbed my toe so......slippery slope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111ONE
Original post by thunder_chunky
So you are linking that story about the incest to homosexuality.....how exactly?

Incest is going on now and just like homosexuality is now accepted, incest could too in the future. That's how I'm linking it.
Incest is going on now and just like homosexuality is now accepted, incest could too in the future. That's how I'm linking it.

That's poor. You'll have to do better than that.
Original post by thunder_chunky
That's poor. You'll have to do better than that.

Why is it poor?
Original post by limetang
Oh absolutely. You cannot approach this issue from a 'rights' perspective it is far more important that we consider the needs of the child above anything else.. That said gay parenting is generally exceptional for two reasons: Firstly any gay couple wishing to start a family must do so very deliberately, and secondly in most circumstances there is a vetting process for them as parents simply because of the avenues they must go down (adoption etc.)

Oh I agree. I am completely in favour of gay parenting. I simply hate this notion of having children being a "right" that gets bandied about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending