The Student Room Group

Argument with Father

Basically, I help my dad with money in terms of loaning him lets say £400 etc so he pays his bills. And recently, my dad used really bad words for simple things I do for a joke. and I told him, he should give me some respect because I am not like any other son but I help him with money and financially, even though he pays me back. My mum then told me you were so wrong of talking about money and could have just said give me respect because of my age (im 20). I feel really bad cos he's my dad but then again he started all this by using disrespectful words, event though in hindsight he said it casually and didnt mean it. Whats worse is he came up and said sorry to me first and I said it back but still I feel hella guilty? Any tips or comments or anything would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, I help my dad with money in terms of loaning him lets say £400 etc so he pays his bills. And recently, my dad used really bad words for simple things I do for a joke. and I told him, he should give me some respect because I am not like any other son but I help him with money and financially, even though he pays me back. My mum then told me you were so wrong of talking about money and could have just said give me respect because of my age (im 20). I feel really bad cos he's my dad but then again he started all this by using disrespectful words, event though in hindsight he said it casually and didnt mean it. Whats worse is he came up and said sorry to me first and I said it back but still I feel hella guilty? Any tips or comments or anything would be appreciated.

I lost my dad in 2021... All I'll say is, now the main thing I hold onto is being able to help him financially and always being a loving daughter. This doesn't mean let him be rude to you, let him know that hurts when he makes certain jokes, but don't make him feel less for having to ask for money. It's good that you feel guilty, I can tell you're a loving son. When I used to argue with my dad, I always felt super guilty - it just shows you're kind hearted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending