The Student Room Group

AS/A2 Additional Further Maths

Has anyone on here self studied Additional Further Maths?-how did it go?did it help with STEP?(I'm presuming so because the harder modules have harder more advanced questions that are actually university level so should be good prep for STEP and it helps cover over areas you haven't really studied in enough depth to answer questions on in STEP like I only will have done S1 and people on here told me I should at least look over S2 and surely Mechanics questions would be easier having done M4/M5 and it also gives you something to do to prepare for STEP whilst you don't know whether you will get an offer/interview asking you for STEP(studying straight away for STEP completely would thus be inadvisable although some study would be useful))how did you cope with prerequisite problems like needing to self study M4 but you won't have finished M3 until too late at college-I'm not sure about what order my second year modules will be so I'm not sure how this will work I know I can do S2-S4 how I like because I have done S1 but I want to spread modules of the same type over the year so I don't forget how to do statistics.

I really want to do Additional Further Maths because it will be helpful for my application and STEP because universities like self-study and also very helpful for university because a lot of course have a lot of statistics options and I have only done S1 and statistics is really useful especially for Meteorology which relies on knowing the probabilities of certain types of weather/storms occurring.I also know that due to module rearrangement if I work really hard for Maths/Further Maths they should be able to bail me out if I do bad at Additional Further Maths.I am not sure how much support I would get for Additional Further Maths/STEP but I know I could ask my teachers if I got stuck on a topic in Additional Further Maths/ a problem in STEP.

Would you recommend it? and do you think I should do AS or A2 which would be 3 or 6 modules.If I did AS I wouldn't have to worry with any prerequisites because I could S2-S4 and I could avoid D2 which I feel would be a nasty module to do having to possibly do it without knowing a lot of D1 because I won't have been introduced to the Decision Maths world-I know I really struggled with Mechanics 1 at first because I couldn't get to grips with the concepts and that was taught.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Further maths doesn't really help for STEP 1 and 2, except for induction, because they are based on the single maths syllabus

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is good preparation for STEP?
Reply 3
Original post by Trouty97
Further maths doesn't really help for STEP 1 and 2, except for induction, because they are based on the single maths syllabus

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah but the single maths syllabus goes up to M2 and S2 and I will have done M2 but not S2.Sitting the harder modules like S3 and S4 should provide extra understanding of the topic area making questions on STEP on statistics and mechanics easier surely.
Reply 4
Original post by Dalek1099

I don't think Further Add Maths will help much for STEP at all. STEP1 and STEP2 only require single maths and even for STEP 3 it is more that you need to learn to answer STEP-type questions rather than know more stuff. Your best prep for STEP is to practise STEP (and there is a fair amount of help online).
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
I don't think Further Add Maths will help much for STEP at all. STEP1 and STEP2 only require single maths and even for STEP 3 it is more that you need to learn to answer STEP-type questions rather than know more stuff. Your best prep for STEP is to practise STEP (and there is a fair amount of help online).

The problem with that is there isn't that many STEP papers I can and did during my A-Level Revision 30 papers in about 2 weeks STEP is much harder and longer but its not going to take you that long to get through them so you need something else to do before you do STEP.As I have said STEP I and II go up to S2 and I haven't done S2 and the problems are more complex so a deeper understanding of the subject area is helpful and if someone would post what the questions go up to in STEP III that would be helpful.To be able to answer the full range of questions on STEP I and II I must do S2 and for STEP III the syllabus is very wide and can cover up to M5 and S4 and I will have only done up to M3 and S1 without Additional Further Maths.You won't even be able to start until you know you are doing STEP when you have received an offer after interview.

I plan to start revising for STEP fully in March but I will still probably do some questions before then because of many reasons there are only so many past papers,you enter for the papers then, it will be hard to complete a lot of questions without you knowledge from Maths and Further Maths at school I should be able to do a lot of STEP I and II anyway because I know a lot of C3 and C4 but there are a lot of topics I need to be better at eg.vectors in them but by completing modules in Additional Further Maths they will be my preparation before then.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
The problem with that is there isn't that many STEP papers I can and did during my A-Level Revision 30 papers in about 2 weeks STEP is much harder and longer but its not going to take you that long to get through them so you need something else to do before you do STEP.As I have said STEP I and II go up to S2 and I haven't done S2 and the problems are more complex so a deeper understanding of the subject area is helpful and if someone would post what the questions go up to in STEP III that would be helpful.To be able to answer the full range of questions on STEP I and II I must do S2 and I'm not sure what modules I must do for this to be the case for STEP III.You won't even be able to start until you know you are doing STEP when you have received an offer after interview.

The old style (pre-2000 but certainly 1980s) Maths A level papers are more similar to STEP if you can find any of those.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
The old style (pre-2000 but certainly 1980s) Maths A level papers are more similar to STEP if you can find any of those.

Do you know a resource where I can find them? and now that I have learnt STEP III can cover up to M5 and S4 I think Additional Further Maths learning would be extremely useful to opening up a wider range of questions that you can answer.Also, I have heard the applied ones are easier than the pure ones.

It might be worth checking the syllabus for the STEP papers as on some exam boards you will need to go up to M3 to do the mechanics questions on STEP I and II.

For the mechanics questions on STEP I/II you needed up to M3 and STEP III you needed M4 and M5 for AQA.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by SherlockHolmes
It might be worth checking the syllabus for the STEP papers as on some exam boards you will need to go up to M3 to do the mechanics questions on STEP I and II.

For the mechanics questions on STEP I/II you needed up to M3 and STEP III you needed M4 and M5 for AQA.

Do you have this spec because the one I am reading doesn't very clearly show you what you need for each exam board for each section of STEP.
Reply 10
Does anyone have any advice on getting tutors for STEP I have seen a website offering £20-25 per lesson which seems suspiciously cheap.I have about £1600 in the bank so if the worst comes to worst I could opt for them because a lot of the questions seem impossible and a lot of the questions aren't really part of the A-Level syllabus.
Do you have this spec because the one I am reading doesn't very clearly show you what you need for each exam board for each section of STEP.

Link below:

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/47831-step-specification-rebranded-.pdf

This shows what you need for each section but not from each exam board.
Reply 12
Link below:

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/47831-step-specification-rebranded-.pdf

This shows what you need for each section but not from each exam board.

It shows in some of the sections what you but is very vague where did you get you needed M3 in AQA for STEP I and II:confused:That has me a bit worried because having looking at Edexcel and AQA's M2 AQA's seems a lot harder and more advanced EDEXCEL's M2 could be sat without second year knowledge(even though it says knowledge of C3 is needed it rarely is on Edexcel) and AQA does some of the hardest problems in M2 requiring advanced C4 knowledge as well as Mechanics knowledge.
It shows in some of the sections what you but is very vague where did you get you needed M3 in AQA for STEP I and II:confused:That has me a bit worried because having looking at Edexcel and AQA's M2 AQA's seems a lot harder and more advanced EDEXCEL's M2 could be sat without second year knowledge(even though it says knowledge of C3 is needed it rarely is on Edexcel) and AQA does some of the hardest problems in M2 requiring advanced C4 knowledge as well as Mechanics knowledge.

I did AQA Maths and FM. You only do coefficient of restitution in M3 for AQA (this comes up in most of the collisions questions for STEP). Deriving the equation of motion for a projectile is also M3 for AQA. Everything else is M1/M2.
Reply 14
I did AQA Maths and FM. You only do coefficient of restitution in M3 for AQA (this comes up in most of the collisions questions for STEP). Deriving the equation of motion for a projectile is also M3 for AQA. Everything else is M1/M2.

I have done that in Edexcel M2 but what about the advanced differential equations in AQA M2 do you need that?
I have done that in Edexcel M2 but what about the advanced differential equations in AQA M2 do you need that?

Not too sure what you mean by 'advanced differential equations' but I don't think I have seen DEs come up in the mechanics for STEP I/II. Projectiles and collisions are almost certain to come up.
Reply 16
How possible is it that you could study D2 before D1?because I don't think I'm going to manage to study M4 and M5 without M3 and FP2 and FP3 I know most of C3-C4 and I don't want to start Additional Further Maths with S2-S4 because then I will forget all my Statistics by the end of the course I will still have to manage studying M4 and M5 whilst possibly only knowing some of M3,FP2 and FP3.
How possible is it that you could study D2 before D1?because I don't think I'm going to manage to study M4 and M5 without M3 and FP2 and FP3 I know most of C3-C4 and I don't want to start Additional Further Maths with S2-S4 because then I will forget all my Statistics by the end of the course I will still have to manage studying M4 and M5 whilst possibly only knowing some of M3,FP2 and FP3.

Studying D2 before D1 is easy. There's is no pre requisite knowledge, other than possibly self teaching a bit of linear programming from D1 beforehand. At our school we do D2 for AS FM but D1 for A2 Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by TLHroolz
Studying D2 before D1 is easy. There's is no pre requisite knowledge, other than possibly self teaching a bit of linear programming from D1 beforehand. At our school we do D2 for AS FM but D1 for A2 Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How easy is it to self study M4 with not all of M3,FP2 and FP3 knowledge? because I will have to start learning M4 before I have finished my Further Maths course and I don't know what order my modules will be taught in next year.There won't be time to study my 3 Further Maths modules early so I know them before the 6 Additional Further Maths and it would make the Further Maths lessons boring because I would have done all the exercises for the modules.
How easy is it to self study M4 with not all of M3,FP2 and FP3 knowledge? because I will have to start learning M4 before I have finished my Further Maths course and I don't know what order my modules will be taught in next year.There won't be time to study my 3 Further Maths modules early so I know them before the 6 Additional Further Maths and it would make the Further Maths lessons boring because I would have done all the exercises for the modules.

I don't know if you can. I just know about D2 because I've just finished AS and I've done it...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest