The Student Room Group

How serious is lying about age?

Basically, I want to do a residential music course that is for 21 and under, but I am 22 by 4 months.
I don't see any difference between an 18/19/20/21/22 year old. If it was just under 18 I obviously wouldn't apply.
If I get found out can I go to jail?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I would start packing your bags now if I'm honest.
Reply 2
Already called the cops on you, mate.
Original post by cheeriosarenice
Basically, I want to do a residential music course that is for 21 and under, but I am 22 by 4 months.
I don't see any difference between an 18/19/20/21/22 year old. If it was just under 18 I obviously wouldn't apply.

Yes that's really bad, you might think something but rules are rules!
I'm not sure how long the sentence or warning would be though.

Original post by 29Bilal96

I actually laughed at this :mmm:

Seriously though, lying is not good!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
More importantly, why do you want to do a residential music course for under 22s?
Reply 5

Pardon my ignorance but can I take "residential music course" to be one offered by a public institution (ie. tax payer funded?) If so, I'd go on the course & feign ignorance if it is ever discovered you are overage. It's improbable a prosecution would follow but you never know..
Original post by karmacrunch

I actually laughed at this :mmm:

Seriously though, lying is not good!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Who said I was lying? :wink:

Original post by Tabris
Already called the cops on you, mate.

So is it not a big deal then?
Original post by MattHam
Pardon my ignorance but can I take "residential music course" to be one offered by a public institution (ie. tax payer funded?) If so, I'd go on the course & feign ignorance if it is ever discovered you are overage. It's improbable a prosecution would follow but you never know..

What could you get charged with? It doesnt ask for proof of age, just says what is your age (must be 21 or under)
So is it not a big deal then?

Let me put it like this.
You're going in, no matter what happens. Deliberately breaking the law, especially in such an outrageous manner, is inexcusable, and will result in a severe sentence, ranging from 15-20 minutes.
Let me put it like this.
You're going in, no matter what happens. Deliberately breaking the law, especially in such an outrageous manner, is inexcusable, and will result in a severe sentence, ranging from 15-20 minutes.

Please can I have a serious answer. I don't know whether to do it or not. I need advice. I'm starting to think I shouldn't.

Do you not think they'll ask you for ID to prove who you are at any point?
Who said I was lying? :wink:

Haha, not you! I meant OP :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pectorac
Do you not think they'll ask you for ID to prove who you are at any point?

No they don't
Please can I have a serious answer. I don't know whether to do it or not. I need advice. I'm starting to think I shouldn't.

Siriusly?
Original post by karmacrunch
Haha, not you! I meant OP :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bad, I knew that...
No they don't

How do you know? For something residential and staying in a property, they are going to ask for ID to prove you're not a rapist, murderer, terrorist, etc.
Original post by MattHam

what are consequences, or is it not a big deal?
Original post by nohomo
More importantly, why do you want to do a residential music course for under 22s?

cos 4 months too old and its really good!
It is fraud by false representation as defined by the Fraud Act 2006; punishable by fine and up to 12 months (summary) or 10 years (indictment) in prison.

Clearly the application of this Act is normally applied in more common situations than yours, and few people would think to apply it, but you really never know..

You're also depriving another young person of a place, which should be of greater concern.

Quick Reply

Latest