The Student Room Group

Arguing with my girlfriend- thoughts welcome

Not the biggest issue in the world but here we are, strap in it’s a long one:

I (16f) and my girlfriend (same) have been going out a good while, more than a year. Today she mentioned in casual conversation with our friends how she had a boyfriend before me- perfectly fine obviously though she’s literally never mentioned him for some reason? Thing is she said his name and I recognise it as some ex-friend she told me about around a month ago, who she said she had messaged for the first time in years for a question about mocks, and who had she had heard from a mutual friend was pretty upset she hadn’t followed up with asking him how he’s been and stuff. She said he used to have feeling for her so that’s why he got clingy or something. Thing is, at the time she said he liked her, she never liked him back. Now today she said they were dating, before going back and saying it was just like a ‘situationship’.
It wouldn’t be all that important if she hadn’t lied about it before, because why would she lie about that?? I don’t know what to think but I’m pretty annoyed

Again, I know it’s silly but I think I need a second opinion because I’m just confused and ****ed off, so any thoughts welcomed!
Reply 1
At any age there are claims of dating, love and relationships, even when one partner isn't really interested in the other and is just hanging out for status, peer pressure or whatever. So your girlfriend was 14ish and with a boy. It's no big deal.
Lying to you and just not bringing it up aren't quite the same, esp when we're talking about a presumably non sexual school age thing which sounds more like dating/messing about than anything serious.

They might just not want to go over it again or risk it affecting their relationship now, and at the end of the day, it's not really your business... the fact that you feel it is and are getting annoyed and presumably challenging them over this might be exactly why they didn't tell you in the first place.
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
Lying to you and just not bringing it up aren't quite the same, esp when we're talking about a presumably non sexual school age thing which sounds more like dating/messing about than anything serious.

They might just not want to go over it again or risk it affecting their relationship now, and at the end of the day, it's not really your business... the fact that you feel it is and are getting annoyed and presumably challenging them over this might be exactly why they didn't tell you in the first place.

I mean yeah, you make good points and I fully get that, but she did explicitly say that she didn’t like him and he was just a friend, and now today she nonchalantly said they were dating like it was nothing 😬

Also forgot to mention but we were friends the whole time they were supposed together and she never mentioned him at all? I don’t know, it’s weird to me but I do actually get what you’re saying now and I’m probably overreacting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending