The Student Room Group

Charges while abroad (especially USA)

I go to Vegas on Thursday and I am getting concerned about mobile phone charges. I am with Virgin on a SIM only deal where I pay monthly.

Should I just turn my phone network off or something? I think it costs like £1.25 just to receive a call. By receive, does that mean just for my phone to ring or to pick up the call?

A text message costs 25p to send but what about if that person is in the States too?

I just don't understand all this roaming stuff I read about!

Thanks,

Jon
Original post by Jon12345
I go to Vegas on Thursday and I am getting concerned about mobile phone charges. I am with Virgin on a SIM only deal where I pay monthly.

Should I just turn my phone network off or something? I think it costs like £1.25 just to receive a call. By receive, does that mean just for my phone to ring or to pick up the call?

A text message costs 25p to send but what about if that person is in the States too?

I just don't understand all this roaming stuff I read about!

Thanks,

Jon

From the Virgin site, it looks like the charges are as follows:

Receiving a call - £1.25 a minute (I think if you don't answer, you won't be charged.)
Making a call - £1.40 a minute
Texts - 25p each (That's to British numbers, it doesn't matter whether your friend is in the USA or not.)
Data - £5 a megabyte

(Source: http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/callCostsSpecial.do?isoCountryCode=it&paymentPlan=payMonthly&x=11&y=9)

If possible, the best thing to do is avoid using the network entirely, and use your phone as a wifi only device. Try to find hotspots (most shops and restaurants have free wifi these days, and some hotels have it for free) and use Facebook Messenger/WhatsApp etc instead of texting. :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for that. Yes, good idea. Stick it on wifi only. I have a S5. I presume its easy to turn the network off.
There are no extra charges if you get a 3 sim, that's provided your phone is unlocked

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending