The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JAIYEKO
French or a MFL is extremely well looked up by top top Universities even when you achieve an A* in it, so your first point is invalid.

Geology is advisable for (Petroleum) Engineering and so your second point is also invalid.

If you don't know me, you'll know that I capable of achieving 99% at all 7 A-Levels.

Au revoir

In other threads you have said you are French. Universities do not count foreign languages in your mother-language, because that would be unfair to everyone else. It would be like me going to France and taking an advanced qualification in English when I was brought up with it. They won't care about this A-level at all. Language A-levels are respected, but not to the point you've stated.

A-level geology is not advisable for petroleum engineering at all. It is 'accepted' by universities like Manchester, but so are other subjects like biology and geography which are acceptable for the degree, but not advised or helpful. As long as you have maths and physics, any other respected subject is acceptable for these types of courses which are not Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL. Taking it with other science subjects is pointless and will not get you anywhere.

On your other threads you say you have only done single science GCSE at school and were frantically trying to take up double science in the month before the exams. At single you were achieving a B grade; you are not going to get 7 A* grades at A2 if you cannot even get an A in an easy GCSE. Even if you have taken the exams for double, you will not have not done very well and there is no way you'll survive in A-level science.

Medicine will not make you rich. Foundation doctors start on 22k and top consultants make about 100k, which really is not 'rich' in today's world when you think about the cost of mortgages, living costs, having kids, having a car, etc. By the time you reach 100k you'd be about 45, with you not reaching 40k until you're about 30. 100k will make you comfortable, but it will in no way get you to the top of the monetary scale.

You are not going to do well in medicine because in this thread and your others, your attitude sucks. You are not going to pass interviews or act in a caring way towards patients if you keep acting the way you currently are. You insult anyone on this thread trying to help you; a couple of months ago you were begging to find out if geology is a 'science' subject at A-level, which several people said (rightly) that it was not, and you insulted them. You have neither the brains nor the attitude to do 7 A-levels and get into Oxford or Cambridge, or get into anywhere for medicine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MrSupernova
They'd choose who performed better in the interview... Which is likely to be the one who did more wider reading etc... Which is likely to be the one who had more spare time... Which is likely to be the one who... Did less A-levels!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applying to a uni with less a levels, which have less a stars then students doing more just appears that that student was lazy albeit with stellar grades

If a person applied to HYPSM/Medicine/Oxbridge/LSE for the competitive courses for UK, I don't see why they should be ahead of a student who has more a stars in relevant subjects.

If a student has 3 a stars at a level and another has 7 a stars, the 7 a star student is obviously more clever than the 3 a star student.

I've probably wasted so much time on this issue, that I'd better start studying lmao.
Original post by Pectorac
Medicine will not make you rich. Foundation doctors start on 22k and top consultants make about 100k, which really is not 'rich' in today's world when you think about the cost of mortgages, living costs, having kids, having a car, etc. By the time you reach 100k you'd be about 45, with you not reaching 40k until you're about 30. 100k will make you comfortable, but it will in no way get you to the top of the monetary scale./QUOTE]
Make £100k here up North and you're practically Bill Gates 😂😂😂 Agree about OP talking **** though. Their story changes with every thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You want money? Try the financial industry.
Original post by JAIYEKO
Hiya, I went to my Sixth Form open day recently and contemplating on doing the following A-Level subjects, should I have any chance of achieving all A*s at A2.

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

I'm aware GCSEs is ridiculously easy compared to AS let along A2 and they're almost irreverent to University applications, but I'm determined to get 6A*s at A2 and overall before making my way to Oxbridge to study Medicine or Engineering, or in order words whatever profession can make me the most.

I'm going to a private SF and so timetable would be personified for me to fit the above subjects.

this reply may sound a little harsh, so I'm sorry in advance. I don't know how good you are at the above subjects so can't judge how well you'd do. If you're thinking of doing 7 A2s you clearly don't know that gcses are ridiculously easy compared to a level though, otherwise you wouldn't be considering such a stupid decision. I did 14 gcses, yet I struggled when I started this year on 5 AS'. your attitude also seems completely wrong, and if you apply for medicine with the mentality of 'I'm applying only to get paid a lot of money' you will definitely not get in to Oxbridge. Not even 7 A levels would save you. The key is passion. 7 a levels does not show passion. You would spend all your time working, doing nothing else to enhance your application and show your interest for the subject, and you wouldn't get in.

Youve listed some of the hardest a levels. For a level, you require a lot more lessons. As an example, for gcse I got around 3 lessons for each subject per week. At AS this doubled.

I'll use my school's timetable as an example: 7x45min lessons per day x 5day week. Each week I get about 6 free periods. So out of the total 28 weekly periods, 22 are used up by lessons, with each lesson taking up about 5 or 6. This means that if I wanted to do another a level, I'd just be able to squeeze one more in (I'm doing 4). Think about it, if you wanted to do 6 or 7 a levels, you'd then need to do a **** load more lessons after school/at lunch in order to squeeze in an additional 9 - 13.5 hours of lessons. That. Is. Crazy. I guarantee you that your life would suck and you would not be able to do anything else other that work. Science subjects are also incredibly content heavy and rapid moving, so you'd constantly need to do a lot of individual work to stay on top of things too.

Don't do 6, yet alone 7! I started AS with 5, then dropped to 4 as I found I had little time to do anything else!! Imagine life with 7! I go to a private school, but the maximum anyone is allowed to do is 5. Don't think that just because your sf is private you can do as many as you like without it being difficult. We have a crazy kid in our year who did 6 for AS (nearly all the same as you except no geology, and history instead of biology) but he's dropping 2 next year for A2 as he can't deal with the AS workload. You won't get anything out of 6/7 A levels.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Applying to a uni with less a levels, which have less a stars then students doing more just appears that that student was lazy albeit with stellar grades

If a person applied to HYPSM/Medicine/Oxbridge/LSE for the competitive courses for UK, I don't see why they should be ahead of a student who has more a stars in relevant subjects.

If a student has 3 a stars at a level and another has 7 a stars, the 7 a star student is obviously more clever than the 3 a star student.

I've probably wasted so much time on this issue, that I'd better start studying lmao.

Most schools won't let you take more than 3, laziness doesn't come into it... I only did 4 AS's / 3A2's, so I was undoubtedly in competition with people who did quite a few more than me, but I got an offer from Oxford for medicine. A large amount of studying for A-levels is just parroting out information; the interview is designed to separate them from those who really understand their subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by slg60
Medicine will not make you a rich man.

How so?
You talk so intelligently...

Thanks for your help

No problem :smile:
Original post by JAIYEKO
French or a MFL is extremely well looked up by top top Universities even when you achieve an A* in it, so your first point is invalid.

Geology is advisable for (Petroleum) Engineering and so your second point is also invalid.

If you don't know me, you'll know that I capable of achieving 99% at all 7 A-Levels.

Au revoir

But Oxbridge don't do petroleum engineering, only general engineering courses, so the second point is valid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrSupernova
Most schools won't let you take more than 3, laziness doesn't come into it... I only did 4 AS's / 3A2's, so I was undoubtedly in competition with people who did quite a few more than me, but I got an offer from Oxford for medicine. A large amount of studying for A-levels is just parroting out information; the interview is designed to separate them from those who really understand their subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough.

On a side query, do people take A Levels because they actually 'like' their subjects, or because they work hard and get good grades in them.
Original post by SinaPars
How so?

Your first year of being a doctor will earn you 22k. The second year 28k, and you won't reach 40k until you're about 30. The very top consultants 'only' earn about 100k, which is not rich.
(edited 9 years ago)
Fair enough.

On a side query, do people take A Levels because they actually 'like' their subjects, or because they work hard and get good grades in them.

It depends on the person. Some people do their subjects because they like them, others do them because they think they'll make them rich/successful/get them a good job/get them respect. Some of these people will do well, but a lot of them will fail because of their lack of interest coupled with their big-headedness.
Asks for advice...rejects any advice cause "he knows better" and is talking about the fact he can easily get 99% in 7 A levels without even starting AS.

A troll methinks.
It depends on the person. Some people do their subjects because they like them, others do them because they think they'll make them rich/successful/get them a good job/get them respect. Some of these people will do well, but a lot of them will fail because of their lack of interest coupled with their big-headedness.

There is a difference between big-headed and being motivated.
Reply 74
Your first year of being a doctor will earn you 22k. The second year 28k, and you won't reach 40k until you're about 30. The very top consultants 'only' earn about 100k, which is not rich.

Oh.. How do you know this
There is a difference between big-headed and being motivated.

There is, but the majority of people who take subjects they don't like lose all motivation a few months in because they simply are not interested and cannot bare the subjects.
Original post by SinaPars
Oh.. How do you know this

It says it all here: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/doctors/pay-for-doctors/
There is, but the majority of people who take subjects they don't like lose all motivation a few months in because they simply are not interested and cannot bare the subjects.

They probably would yeah.
When did your ban expire?
This kid is clearly having a laugh. Anyone with his supposed intelligence wouldn't be asking such futile questions and respond like an arrogant bigot.

I'm just kidding too :P

Latest