The Student Room Group

'How did I do in the interview?'

Hi,

I had the balls to ask them How did I do in the interview? and they said ok, but gave me some criticism and mistakes I made.

I fear that by asking them this question, I have lost faith in myself and may not be given the job.

Can their opinion on my performance cost me the job?

Thanks
Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I had the balls to ask them How did I do in the interview? and they said ok, but gave me some criticism and mistakes I made.

I fear that by asking them this question, I have lost faith in myself and may not be given the job.

Can their opinion on my performance cost me the job?

Thanks

In short, yes it can, because it's their chance to look at what you're like as a final candidate and if you're not up to scratch against the other candidate, then it can cost you the job.

However, they are also there to spot any errors, so if you do get the job, they can help improve you.

Also, "okay" is like saying "neither good nor bad", so it means they're holding their cards close to their chest. They don't want you to get overconfident with doing well, nor do they want you to feel bad about not having done well.
Reply 2
Original post by MalteseMalteser
In short, yes it can, because it's their chance to look at what you're like as a final candidate and if you're not up to scratch against the other candidate, then it can cost you the job.

However, they are also there to spot any errors, so if you do get the job, they can help improve you.

Also, "okay" is like saying "neither good nor bad", so it means they're holding their cards close to their chest. They don't want you to get overconfident with doing well, nor do they want you to feel bad about not having done well.

Thanks for your response.

Turns out, they liked me and are waiting on HR to make the final call.

Apparently HR have to deal with the admin side of things, and it won't be personal.

Would you say this is a good sign, as the hiring manager was happy with me
Thanks for your response.

Turns out, they liked me and are waiting on HR to make the final call.

Apparently HR have to deal with the admin side of things, and it won't be personal.

Would you say this is a good sign, as the hiring manager was happy with me

Unsurprising to hear that HR deal with the admin side, so it's possibly good news.

It could be that HR are reviewing the details of the interviews between yourself and the other candidate, though. HR won't know what you look like, or how you looked at interview etc. so it takes out any apparent prejudices that your interviewer might have had.

But I'd think it's a good sign
Reply 4
Unsurprising to hear that HR deal with the admin side, so it's possibly good news.

It could be that HR are reviewing the details of the interviews between yourself and the other candidate, though. HR won't know what you look like, or how you looked at interview etc. so it takes out any apparent prejudices that your interviewer might have had.

But I'd think it's a good sign

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

Yeah, HR weren't in the first or second interview. It was just my hiring manager and people in the team.

I was informed that the hiring manager (who were different in both rounds) liked me and told me that there was nothing to worry about.

They said HR have to make the final call, but I'm just wondering - HR can only make a call based on the interviewers opinion, because HR weren't physically present or have seen me face to face.

Out of a scale 1-10, what are my chances of employment?
Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

Yeah, HR weren't in the first or second interview. It was just my hiring manager and people in the team.

I was informed that the hiring manager (who were different in both rounds) liked me and told me that there was nothing to worry about.

They said HR have to make the final call, but I'm just wondering - HR can only make a call based on the interviewers opinion, because HR weren't physically present or have seen me face to face.

sounds fair enough.

Out of a scale 1-10, what are my chances of employment?

Undeterminate - we weren't present at the interview, nor are we part of HR, so we wouldn't know.

Based on this, I'd say 5/10 (i.e. 50% - the probability of employment for a job out of two candidates).
Reply 6
sounds fair enough.

Undeterminate - we weren't present at the interview, nor are we part of HR, so we wouldn't know.

Based on this, I'd say 5/10 (i.e. 50% - the probability of employment for a job out of two candidates).

But I would imagine that at the second stage, the hiring manager would go for one candidate who would be the best fit, or am I wrong?

What does HR do before giving the offer? Like what do they look at, like salary, benefits etc?
But I would imagine that at the second stage, the hiring manager would go for one candidate who would be the best fit, or am I wrong?

What does HR do before giving the offer? Like what do they look at, like salary, benefits etc?

Sure, the hiring manager can put forward his recommendations, but we do not know if s/he favours you or the other candidate.

HR might do background checks, they might look at relevant experience, how you answered questions etc. These will impact salary (i.e. they might have a fixed salary for the position, or the salary is dependent on qualifications and experience).
Reply 8
Sure, the hiring manager can put forward his recommendations, but we do not know if s/he favours you or the other candidate.

HR might do background checks, they might look at relevant experience, how you answered questions etc. These will impact salary (i.e. they might have a fixed salary for the position, or the salary is dependent on qualifications and experience).

Thanks

At the end of the day, I will be working with the team who interviewed me, not HR. So I don't understand how they make decisions, as I have never formally been offered a job through HR.

I thought HR make the decision on how well the personal lines manager and potential team see you. Or am I completely wrong?

Lets say hypothetically speaking, I can do the job and the other candidate bull****ed his/her way through the interview, and HR hired the wrong candidate, then wouldn't it ruin their reputation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending