The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roger1
Palestine obviously. Those piece of crap Israelites killing my Muslim brothers and sisters. ****ing dicks killed some kids the other day. Makes my blood boil.

Go fight for them. Syria, Iraq & Palestine need you. :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you accept these acts of terror against the civilian population to target suspected military targets and label it collateral damage then I will accept 9/11 victims as justifiable collateral damage as Al-Qaeda's objective was to damage American infrastructure and weaken the oppressive American state

Posted from TSR Mobile
Palestine. Don't get me wrong, Hamas need to realise they cannot win.

But, at the same time, Israel are killing civilians. IF IT WERE ANY OTHER COUNTRY, IT WOULD BE CONDEMMED BY THE USA AND THE UN WOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING!

Like I said in a previous post, Israel and Gaza HATE each other. They want to kill each other, Israel with the backing of western nations can kill as it pleases and nothing will happen. This is 2014.

Also, Israel say they warn before they strike. Partly true (although a BBC clip showed they don't always), but with all this technology, they knew those four children were on the beach and killed them purposely.
Palestine, they were there first & lived peacefully enough before the zionists arrived...

Israel commits war crimes, ethnic cleansing, blockades, occupation, denies resources & amenieties, shoots children then celebrate doing so, the zionists are an insult to the Jewish people & a dark scar on the human species that is comparable to that of the Nazi's.
I support Israel because everyone has the right to defend themselves, including nazi germany.
Palestine - plain and simple
Neither

Anyone who takes one particular side is an idiot. Both sides have valid arguments, both sides have commited atrocities, both sides have suffered greatly, yet the left wing seem to demonize Israel and make them out to be the only ones at fault, completley ignoring the fact that the Palestinians are just as bad as them.
Save Gaza! Stop Israel! Free Palestine!
Original post by GnomeMage
I support Israel because everyone has the right to defend themselves, including nazi germany.

You speak of a right to defend themselves. What means do the Gazan civilian population have to defend themselves?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kutta
Yeah soz for not quoting, it's good to know that you think its unjustifiable :smile:

but I disagree with your point, I'm more on the humanitarian side, what is the justification In killing an innocent person? "Yeah sorry but you were near a suspected Hamas hideout so you had to die" I don't agree with that notion.

I do know that I'm being naive but I hate war, it's always the innocent person who is the victim. :frown: almost 75% dead on the Palestine side were innocents, as was the Israeli (as I said I don't believe in collateral damage so it's not right that the poor man died)

Once you are at war the priority is not a humanitarian one, but to destroy your enemies military capacity. It has happened in every war in all of human history, I don't know why everyone gets so upset over civilian casualties now, but not the millions that occurred during WW2 or one of the many other conflicts in recent history.

What should Israel do? If they refrain from striking a target just because there are civilians there then they cannot strike anything, because Hamas will just put all there military units in civilian areas (as they already do), to stop Israel from striking them. Unless you have an alternative I don't see how you can complain.

As I see it, Israel absolutely has to strike at Hamas military targets, there is no way around this unless a peace deal is made. This causes civilian casualties, but Hamas could always put their rocket launches in much less densely populated areas (they put some in schools for no reason for example).
Reply 390
Original post by SMEGGGY
Go fight for them. Syria, Iraq & Palestine need you. :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I had to fight for a country, I would obviously fight for the aforementioned.
Reply 391
Original post by jabire3
Palestine. Don't get me wrong, Hamas need to realise they cannot win.

But, at the same time, Israel are killing civilians. IF IT WERE ANY OTHER COUNTRY, IT WOULD BE CONDEMMED BY THE USA AND THE UN WOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING!

Like I said in a previous post, Israel and Gaza HATE each other. They want to kill each other, Israel with the backing of western nations can kill as it pleases and nothing will happen. This is 2014.

Also, Israel say they warn before they strike. Partly true (although a BBC clip showed they don't always), but with all this technology, they knew those four children were on the beach and killed them purposely.

Please take your time to watch this clip
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tmPJb6Mcu6g

(The important part is 24 secs to 1 min 40 secs ty)
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/18/world/middleeast/israel-gaza-strip.html

JERUSALEM Israel began a ground invasion into the Gaza Strip shortly after 10 Thursday night, saying it would target tunnels that infiltrate its territory, after cease-fire talks failed to de-escalate the air war that has raged for 10 days.

The military released a statement saying the goal of the operation was to “establish a reality in which Israeli residents can live in safety and security without continuous indiscriminate terror.”

Palestinian residents and foreign journalists in Gaza reported heavy artillery fire from ground troops in the north and from Israeli naval gunboats stationed near Gaza’s port, as well as a continuing air assault. Residents in the northern Gaza Strip said they could hear the sound of tanks entering from Beit Lahiya.

Along the Gaza City seafront the sounds of war were intensifying Thursday night. There was a near-constant staccato of gunboats firing artillery in bursts of five blasts, sending flashes above the dark sea. The thunderlike rumble of impact could be occasionally heard inland. F-16s whooshed over the city, followed by the thud of their strikes. Behind it all was the high-pitched, ambient hum of drones, heard even over the call to prayer from the mosques.

Fawzi Barhoum, a spokesman for Hamas, the Islamic militant group that governs the Gaza Strip, issued a statement calling the invasion “a dangerous step,” and said, referring to Israel, “The occupation will pay its price expensively, and Hamas is ready for confrontation.”

The Israeli strikes hit a range of targets, including a rehabilitation hospital, and earlier killed four young children as they played on a roof in eastern Gaza City. At the same time, scores of rockets from Gaza continued to stream into cities all over central and southern Israel.

The hostilities quickly resumed at the end of a five-hour humanitarian window both sides had agreed to early Thursday.

A military spokesman, Lt. Col. Peter Lerner, said the next stage of Israel’s Operation Protective Edge would penetrate the north, east and south of Gaza with ground forces. He said it was not aimed at toppling Hamas from its longtime rule of Gaza, but would “make sure that the Hamas terrorists will be pursued, paralyzed and threatened” by the force of the Israel Defense Forces.

“We will be striking the infrastructure, we will be striking the operatives, in order to safeguard the citizens of Israel,” Colonel Lerner told reporters in an 11 p.m. conference call. “The I.D.F. is not bound by a time frame. We are operating to implement our goals.”

Colonel Lerner said that additional reservists would be mobilized, adding to the 50,000 already called up for the operation, and that the ground forces in Gaza would include infantry, artillery, armored corps and engineering corps, supported by Israel’s “vast intelligence capabilities” and aerial and naval bombardment.

Asked what Gaza residents should do to stay safe during the invasion, Colonel Lerner said: “Refrain and keep away from Hamas terrorists. Keep away from the infrastructure which is being used against the state of Israel. That’s the best advice we can give them.”

The office of Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, said in a statement that the ground incursion had the approval of the Israeli cabinet and that the prime minister and the defense minister, had instructed the military “to be ready to broaden the ground operation.”

The statement added that the ground incursion came after Israeli forces thwarted an infiltration into Israel through a tunnel from Gaza early Thursday, averting what it said would have been “a mass terrorist attack against Israeli civilians.”

It also comes after Israel accepted an Egyptian proposal for a cease-fire that was rejected by Hamas, which continued to fire rockets at Israel. The Israeli statement said, adding, “In light of the constant and criminal aggression of Hamas and its dangerous infiltration into Israeli territory, Israel is obligated to act to defend its citizens.”

The humanitarian pause, requested by the United Nations, came after Israel foiled the predawn attack on the tunnel. It was interrupted by a brief flurry of mortar shells fired from Gaza that fell in open ground near the Gaza border, but otherwise the quiet held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., allowing Gaza residents to safely come out of their homes to shop and survey the damage the battle had wrought.

With the Palestinian death toll exceeding 220, many of them civilians, Israel and Hamas agreed to the suspension of hostilities at the request of the United Nations. One Israeli has been killed.

The incursion into Israel at 4:30 a.m. was the first through a tunnel during the current hostilities.

Colonel Lerner noted that Israel had uncovered four other tunnels from Gaza over the last 18 months and said, “We are concerned with this and we are operating in order to strike those capabilities.”

Earlier on Thursday, Palestinian, Egyptian, Israeli and American officials said intense discussions were underway on terms for a cease-fire, but none was willing to be quoted by name. A high-level Israeli delegation returned from Cairo, where President Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian Authority and Tony Blair, the envoy of the so-called Quartet of Middle East peacemakers, met Wednesday with President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi of Egypt.

“The effort to achieve an end of the violence is ongoing,” said one senior Israeli official. “We’re not there yet.”

An Israeli military spokesman said the militants were attacked from the air, and it was not immediately clear whether all had been killed. Residents of the Israeli border community nearest the exit of the tunnel, kibbutz Sufa, were told to stay in their homes for several hours after the initial confrontation.

Even during the humanitarian pause, many streets in Gaza remained quiet though people were unsure how safe things would remain, mindful of how a previous proposed cease-fire on Tuesday had broken down after just a few hours. On the beach near Gaza City’s small fishing harbor, where four boys were killed by an Israeli airstrike as they played on Wednesday, children who often played there had not returned.

The Health Ministry in Gaza reported three Palestinian fatalities early Thursday. The dead included a man killed in an airstrike on a house in Beit Lahiya; another man, 67, who was killed in a strike while on his way to the mosque for the dawn prayer in Rafah in the south; and a woman, 71, who died of injuries she sustained in an earlier strike in Khan Younis.

Eyal Brandeis, a member of kibbutz Sufa, said the residents received text messages about 4:30 a.m. telling them to stay in their houses. “From the sound of the explosions we understood this was a grave incident,” he said by telephone. Soon the residents were told that there was a suspected infiltration effort by militants. Shortly before 10 a.m. they were told they could go back to their normal routines.

The United Nations said Thursday that it had discovered 20 rockets hidden in a vacant school in Gaza during a regular inspection on Wednesday. The United Nations Relief and Works Agency, which assists Palestinian refugees, called the use of a school to hide weaponry a “flagrant violation” of international law protecting civilians.

“This incident, which is the first of its kind in Gaza, endangered civilians including staff and put at risk Unrwa’s vital mission to assist and protect Palestine refugees in Gaza,” the agency said in a statement.

Agency officials notified Palestinian and Israeli authorities of the discovery and took steps to remove the rockets. The agency said it was beginning a full investigation of the incident.

Also on Thursday, the Israeli authorities formally indicted three Israelis suspected of having killed a 16-year-old Palestinian boy in Jerusalem. Officials said they believed that the killing was carried out to avenge the abduction and murder of three young Israelis last month.

Thoughts?
Original post by PassingAlways
Palestine, they were there first & lived peacefully enough before the zionists s.

Before the Palestinians there were others they moved there, just like Israelis did. Your point is of no revelance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katbob
Please take your time to watch this clip
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tmPJb6Mcu6g

(The important part is 24 secs to 1 min 40 secs ty)

That dude is hilarious. But, it's not a joking matter and he is completely correct. Evacuate to where? You notify civilians of a bomb by dropping a light bomb.... ****ing Israel...
Original post by SMEGGGY
Before the Palestinians there were others they moved there, just like Israelis did. Your point is of no revelance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay then let's all move back to Africa where all humans came from then...also way to ignore my other points, do you like genocide/ethnic cleansing when it's Brown people dying then?
Reply 396
Original post by james22
Once you are at war the priority is not a humanitarian one, but to destroy your enemies military capacity. It has happened in every war in all of human history, I don't know why everyone gets so upset over civilian casualties now, but not the millions that occurred during WW2 or one of the many other conflicts in recent history.

What should Israel do? If they refrain from striking a target just because there are civilians there then they cannot strike anything, because Hamas will just put all there military units in civilian areas (as they already do), to stop Israel from striking them. Unless you have an alternative I don't see how you can complain.

As I see it, Israel absolutely has to strike at Hamas military targets, there is no way around this unless a peace deal is made. This causes civilian casualties, but Hamas could always put their rocket launches in much less densely populated areas (they put some in schools for no reason for example).

Dont be fooled by propaganda. nobody wants to be a human shield...and Gaza is so densely populated there will always be civilians killed. You can imagine someone sitting there thinking "how can we get the blame off ourselves, oh I know let's tell the world the enemy tells civilians to become human shields" it's a stupid excuse, let's do a objective test,would you as a reasonable man be a human shield during a war? Exactly, then what makes you think a innocent Palestinians would.

You know what Israel could do? Stop bombing them! That normally helps. Remember it started with a blame game, the blame of the murder of 3 innocent people. Hamas said they did not do it, it makes no sense for them to do it and before we could blink the rockets started landing in Gaza. As Israel said "they will pay" I guess Palestinians are paying?

Dont think I'm supporting Hamas here they are equally wrong in launching rockets. But without Israel first launching rockets this escalation would never have happened. Could have called it evens when they shoved petrol down a Palestinians throat and burned him to death.
I support peace. I believe the Palestinian to Israeli death ratio since 2000 is something like 5:1. Israel has been using excessive force over the last 14 years, but the various militant groups in Palestine need to realise Israel is obviously going to defend itself when being threatened. The militants are also calling for the deaths of all Israelis, they have no intention of establishing a two-state system.

Both parties are in the wrong. Israel need to stop the excessive killing of civilians (which they are starting to with the introduction of the 'knocking' warning system) as well as accept the pre-Six Day War borders, and Hamas need to stop putting their own civilians at risk for their deluded fantasy of somehow taking over the entirety of Israel.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Academic Warrior
It is the Palestinians who have rejected the ceasefire negotiations. Thus surely they are solely responsible for the continuation of war?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which "war", the 2009, 2012, or this latest shameful event?

The Palestinians were not informed of the peace talks as it was brokered between Israel and the current dictatorship in Egypt.
Thus it was a one sided offer that was to continue to benefit Israel and would not change the ongoing situation in Gaza - the open air prison environment barricaded by lengthy walls imposed on an oppressed people to separate then from the rest of society, the Palestinians have been continuously suffering occupation and oppression by Israeli Zionists who see all of Palestine as their land, hence why they continue to demolish homes and build settlements on officially recognised Palestinian land.

The Palestinians are denied basic medical aid, safety and human rights, from an encroaching government/society that views them as worthless.

The democratically elected Palestinian representatives' basic demands are continuously denied - stop building settlements on stolen land and allow the barricades to be lifted.

Hamas started the conflict and broke the cease fire twice, that Israel will not remove them from government means that they are not going far enough in my opinion.

Latest

Trending

Trending