The Student Room Group

Excited for Final Year

Am I the only one that's excited to enter final year?
I don't know y but I'm super pumped to start Uni again after finishing my placement, I'm studying chemical engineering and I just can't wait for next year! *sigh super geek feeling*😆
Is there anyone else that's looking forward to finishing? What r u looking forward to the most? And what will u miss the most? 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
No one??? *sigh* guess am the only one then

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was pretty excited about going into my final year too - particularly about going through the graduate employment process and seeing where I'd end up. I was eager to finish my summer placement, enjoy a few weeks off in September before starting again, for one final time.

My advice to those going into their final year would be:

Enjoy it. Savour it. It's difficult, but it'll be your last year, so try to enjoy it.

Really try your hardest. At my uni the final two years were 50:50 each, but at some the final year massively outweighs those preceding it, so it always has a high bearing on your overall degree classification. Don't take your foot off the pedal, even if you think you know that you're practically guaranteed a certain classification.

Now is the time you want to be preparing for graduate jobs. Research the companies you'd like to work for, and create a spreadsheet to track your progress. Lots of them open for applications as early as the beginning of September, so be prepared before then and use that time before university starts to get in some early apps.

Not to put pressure on anyone, but this year will have quite a bearing on what you do for the rest of your twenties, so don't fall behind in either your studies or job searching. This isn't the year to be having lie-ins and watching Jeremy Kyle all the time.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
I was pretty excited about going into my final year too - particularly about going through the graduate employment process and seeing where I'd end up. I was eager to finish my summer placement, enjoy a few weeks off in September before starting again, for one final time.

My advice to those going into their final year would be:

Enjoy it. Savour it. It's difficult, but it'll be your last year, so try to enjoy it.

Really try your hardest. At my uni the final two years were 50:50 each, but at some the final year massively outweighs those preceding it, so it always has a high bearing on your overall degree classification. Don't take your foot off the pedal, even if you think you know that you're practically guaranteed a certain classification.

Now is the time you want to be preparing for graduate jobs. Research the companies you'd like to work for, and create a spreadsheet to track your progress. Lots of them open for applications as early as the beginning of September, so be prepared before then and use that time before university starts to get in some early apps.

Not to put pressure on anyone, but this year will have quite a bearing on what you do for the rest of your twenties, so don't fall behind in either your studies or job searching. This isn't the year to be having lie-ins and watching Jeremy Kyle all the time.

Thanks so much!!!
Excellent advice in my Uni it was as 30:70 so hoping to do really well in my final year since it ways a lot more! What did u graduate in? And how have u found grad life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NuriaM
Thanks so much!!!
Excellent advice in my Uni it was as 30:70 so hoping to do really well in my final year since it ways a lot more! What did u graduate in? And how have u found grad life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I graduated from mechanical engineering.

Graduate life is quite different to university life, which is essentially a bubble. You get far less holiday, and obviously your year doesn't revolve around term dates. However, it's nice having evening and weekends to myself, without having to worry about studying.

And although it's different to student life, you'll probably adjust to it fine.
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
I graduated from mechanical engineering.

Graduate life is quite different to university life, which is essentially a bubble. You get far less holiday, and obviously your year doesn't revolve around term dates. However, it's nice having evening and weekends to myself, without having to worry about studying.

And although it's different to student life, you'll probably adjust to it fine.

Did u find it difficult getting a graduate position when u finished? And what as ur final year dissertation on was it part group work part individual? Sorry for all the questions just that very soon I'll be going through it all, applying for grad positions, dissertation/major project etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NuriaM
Did u find it difficult getting a graduate position when u finished? And what as ur final year dissertation on was it part group work part individual? Sorry for all the questions just that very soon I'll be going through it all, applying for grad positions, dissertation/major project etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assessment centres were tough, and never got any easier. I didn't find getting interviews particularly difficult though as I suppose I had a good CV.

I did both an individual and group project. Individual was in BEng year; group in MEng year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending