The Student Room Group

I just graduated with a media and cultural studies degree, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ben_Dover
Not to be rude but that sounds pretty repetitive and not intensive at all

It was repetitive in some ways but it got harder each year if that makes sense? Like researching the theories deeper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
Yes definitely. I can't read or watch anything without analysing it. Even worse just after finishing my dissertation.

It was more theoretical but we had some practical like the photography module and the module where a (preferably media related) internship was a requirement.

Can I ask which uni did you transfer to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Started at University of Gloucestershire, went to University of Worcester.
It was repetitive in some ways but it got harder each year if that makes sense? Like researching the theories deeper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would probably find that really annoying. Then again I'm more of a technical person
Original post by Roving Fish
Started at University of Gloucestershire, went to University of Worcester.

Are you enjoying the course? Sounds very interesting!
I would probably find that really annoying. Then again I'm more of a technical person

I won't lie, it was boring and tedious at times. And sometimes I wish I did something like Comp Sci.:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really not saying this to take the piss but how are you finding your employment prospects. I would have thought it's pretty difficult.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Love it now, hated the media one as it was entirely online media. I love print and graphics! :biggrin:

Mind you, I'm doing more media than graphics this year. Doing after effects, photography, research & pre-prod as well as web design & signage design.

I won't lie, it was boring and tedious at times. And sometimes I wish I did something like Comp Sci.:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh there's only so much theoretical stuff a person can take. It gets a bit dry after while. Technical subjects tend to stay 'juicy'
Original post by EllieC130
I'm really not saying this to take the piss but how are you finding your employment prospects. I would have thought it's pretty difficult.

It's not the easiest. There's barely any media jobs around and the competition is fierce. I've applied in different sectors, had some interviews and a job offer which I didn't take. I have some time to think where I would like to be career wise, though.

Original post by Roving Fish
Love it now, hated the media one as it was entirely online media. I love print and graphics! :biggrin:

Mind you, I'm doing more media than graphics this year. Doing after effects, photography, research & pre-prod as well as web design & signage design.

Online media gets very old quickly.

Sounds great! I did some web design in my first year and it was interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh there's only so much theoretical stuff a person can take. It gets a bit dry after while. Technical subjects tend to stay 'juicy'

yes theory gets old very quickly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I did something like murder after I get a seg fault.
Original post by DErasmus
I wish I did something like murder after I get a seg fault.

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do you think you will get a job in accountancy over someone who did say accounting and finance...
What skills do you feel you have a relevant to the position?
Original post by Georgiina_Tee
Why do you think you will get a job in accountancy over someone who did say accounting and finance...
What skills do you feel you have a relevant to the position?

I've been told by some people that there are companies who would not care about the degree discipline so I have essentially as much chance as the next person. I've also read this in ICAEW website. However I don't want to pressume and go on hearsay so I would be doing some work experience in local firms if I don't get a graduate job by September so I can research this further while learning some skills.

As for skills I did some book keeping few years back for family business. My step dad who was working in finance also taught me some basic accounting stuff. Not a lot but that's why I have been applying for entry level jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You might as well have become a bus driver.
Original post by Kabulkid
You might as well have become a bus driver.

Bus drivers with no degrees are not eligible for certain graduate schemes.

Thank you, come again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bus drivers with no degrees are not eligible for certain graduate schemes.

Thank you, come again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh i see, fair enough.
some negative people here lol grow up kiddos
Original post by DErasmus
some negative people here lol grow up kiddos

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why did you want to go into accounting? It's seems a bit unusual for doing media if you wanted to get into accounting.
Reply 39
So you're essentially going to become a prostitute.

Quick Reply

Latest