The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mike_123
sorry hun, oxbridge don't offer creative writing for obvious reasons.

I'm going to study Journalism & Creative Writing. It may seem like a useless degree to you, but it will at least help open the right doors for me.
Original post by Novascope
I'm going to study Journalism & Creative Writing. It may seem like a useless degree to you, but it will at least help open the right doors for me.

im happy for you then
I said it because I know people like you would most likely say that I'm jealous of Oxbridge students. I'm really not lol. So to save that trouble I said that. Yeah, I understand it does sound big headed but I didn't intend for it to be. There's a difference when you apply for an academic or creative course. As what I'm going to do is a creative course, and something I'm passionate about and talented it, I reckon I could get in. It's mostly based off of personal credit as well as UCAS points for creative courses. I don't like to underestimate myself or say "I'm not good for Oxbridge." Anyone could be.

And you know this the same way you know that you would get in, I assume?
Original post by Mike_123
im happy for you then

I know you probably think I'm some big headed snob, I'm really not. My post just wasn't worded right, I admit that :smile:
Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, York, perhaps UCL as well.
Original post by cerlohee
And you know this the same way you know that you would get in, I assume?
LOL. Why are people so ignorant??? :tongue:

Well, I did great in AS, and I'm predicted good grades for A2. I've done and achieved things that benefit me because creative universities like to see when students go out of their way to do things.
I really don't know why you're on my case lmao.
(edited 9 years ago)
Exeter or Durham. I remember a girl asking current Exeter students if there were facilities to keep her horses :teehee:
middlesex mandem r pretty posh ngl.
Reply 108
Original post by alow
It's not that you don't go to Oxbridge, it's just the reverse snobbery that is ridiculous. Trust me, if you were intelligent enough to go to Oxbridge, you would want to.

Personally, I know a lot of people who would be intelligent enough to apply to Oxbridge but don't want to (myself being included). Persoanlly I don't think I would fit in and it's not the kind of uni life I'm after!
Does birmingham or manchester have a lot of posh students?
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Durham posh preppies who are burthurt over their oxford rejection :yep:

You gotta love the preppies, they play rugby, go sailing every weekend wear sweatshirts, and they have these cool barrelled surnames Chauncey-Hamilton or Montague-Douglas-Scott

And they are so rah. They think the world is theirs since they live off their sugar daddy (Actual daddy's money) and sport Abercrombie & Fitch.

Also every preppy girl think that they look like Serena van der Woodsen whereas they are more like the girls that you vote as NOT on hotornot.com

Still on the Gossip Girl hype I see :wink:
Original post by trustmeimlying1

I am naoi deag daois

You are naoi mbliana déag d'aois and an indictment of decades of failed language policy on the part of the Irish government.
Original post by ellie.rew
You are naoi mbliana déag d'aois and an indictment of decades of failed language policy on the part of the Irish government.

its a joke lad :angry:

the new irish leaving cert is much improved from the last one and Im well able to chat

less complaining more solutions cheers:biggrin:

[video="youtube;1hKSuXECnA4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hKSuXECnA4[/video]
Original post by kingzebra
Still on the Gossip Girl hype I see :wink:

No, I don't read that magazine

Spoiler

its a joke lad :angry:

the new irish leaving cert is much improved from the last one and Im well able to chat

less complaining more solutions cheers:biggrin:

Not complaining and certainly not blaming (fair play for being able to chat, most people can't even attempt it) but not being able to say how old you are without making a grammatical error after 14 years of language lessons means that something's gone wrong on some level.

Can't speak for the new LC, it's after my time, but it's all rearranging deck chairs if the problem isn't tackled at primary level.
Not complaining and certainly not blaming (fair play for being able to chat, most people can't even attempt it) but not being able to say how old you are without making a grammatical error after 14 years of language lessons means that something's gone wrong on some level.

Can't speak for the new LC, it's after my time, but it's all rearranging deck chairs if the problem isn't tackled at primary level.

hmmm...grammatical error huh..

its more about the speaking part

youre just the complaining type...
hmmm...grammatical error huh..

its more about the speaking part

youre just the complaining type...

Yes, grammatical error. What you said was the equivalent of "I be nineteenth year old" from someone with nearly a decade and a half of formal English language lessons. I'm all for placing the emphasis on communication and encouraging conversational skills without getting bogged down in grammatical minutiae, but there's a limit. Like I said,
I think it's a systemic failure, so I'm in no way out to grammer-nazi you.
Reply 117
Well, I did great in AS, and I'm predicted good grades for A2. I've done and achieved things that benefit me because creative universities like to see when students go out of their way to do things.
I really don't know why you're on my case lmao.

Even if you got 100% at AS and your A2 predictions are straight A*s there is certainly not any guarantee of getting in.

Original post by izzyb96
Personally, I know a lot of people who would be intelligent enough to apply to Oxbridge but don't want to (myself being included). Persoanlly I don't think I would fit in and it's not the kind of uni life I'm after!

Sure thing.
Yes, grammatical error. What you said was the equivalent of "I be nineteenth year old" from someone with nearly a decade and a half of formal English language lessons. I'm all for placing the emphasis on communication and encouraging conversational skills without getting bogged down in grammatical minutiae, but there's a limit. Like I said,
I think it's a systemic failure, so I'm in no way out to grammer-nazi you.

hahaha this guy p

yes it was a grammatical mistake

but I think my english and irish skills are more than adequate

thanks for a world class irish education system

as for the joke/grammatical error I hope your grammatical nazi outlook doesnt kick off in this country
Original post by alow
Even if you got 100% at AS and your A2 predictions are straight A*s there is certainly not any guarantee of getting in.

Sure thing.

Hold up, but on your profile, you flaunt your predicted grade. You might not get it either. You also got a conditional at Cambridge (now I understand why you've bothered me). You may have firmed it, but you might not get in? So please, stop trying to put me down just because I'm not going to Cambridge. Bye.

-Only a show off actually puts their GCSE's and A-Levels up on their profile... Pretty big headed if you ask me.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending