The Student Room Group

Ex-Muslim, now Atheist - ASK ME ANYTHING!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Secretnerd123
How are you suddenly 'free' without islam? I honestly feel so sorry for OP. Disbelievers (and especially those who were given the privelege to be born into the religion then turned away) get the worst punishment on the day of judgement.

Edit: i've deleted the don't quote me bit because I actually want to prove those who have misconceptions about Islam (including OP himself) wrong :biggrin:

Sent to hell for having different beliefs, such a kind and merciful God isn't it?

This is one of the major contradictions in Islam, God is described as most merciful and as someone who sends people to hell. I am certainly more merciful than Allah because I would never send anyone to hell and would do everything I could to stop people going there.
Original post by jelley
I'm also an ex Muslim who's now atheist, but if I'm really honest, I don't think I was ever really a Muslim. I was born into it, yes, and I made all the motions and pretended to be a good, practicing Muslim to keep my family happy for about 20 years. But I also lived a double life since about the age of 10 or 11...

I am not Muslim because Islam is an oppressive religion which doesn't allow women any freedoms to think or act for themselves. Women are treated like and seen as possessions, objects which men control and who must obey their owners...that makes them no better than dogs or pets or a piece of furniture in the eyes of Islam...

Women are also not allowed to wear what they want because it will corrupt the men around them...yet no one ever blames the men who are staring...

Rape is also condoned because women have to drop what they're doing and go attend to their husbands needs, even if they don't want to...

Education is also frowned upon because it makes women too free thinking and gives them ideas that makes them difficult to control...

Restrictions on women are such that even plucking your eyebrows isn't allowed either...

The worst part for me is the fact that the quran condones violence, in the home, against non Muslims...and before anyone is quick to jump on all this and say its about how you interpret the Quran, if Islam were a religion that allowed people to make their own minds up about their lives and how they live it, it wouldn't be Islam...because the very word Islam is derived from the root meaning to surrender, submit or obey...

I really don't mean to offend anyone who is muslim and does believe in all this, but those are my opinions and what i have learned having read the Quran, the hadith's and attended classes to try and understand the religion better.

My parents and family are Muslim and do not agree with my decisions but that's their problem and the fact they've chosen not to accept their child no matter who they are or how they think, like parents and family should, they've shunned it and essentially cast me out which just reiterates my point about how Islam is not an open or accepting or tolerant religion.

It is NOT Islam. It is culture that surrounds Islam. I come from an Asian culture and I know how some Asian people are towards their daughters freedom, it is all to do with the culture and how the parents themselves have been brought up. Many parents do not have the mind set of the modern world and refer back and reflect how they were brought up where culture was rich & strong. Culture was very traditional back in the days and many many parents have ingrained in culture. This culture is the modern twenty first century now interferes with religion. Half of the time your parents may say it is religion that teaches you not to do this (they may be right but other times IT IS MADE UP) they do not admit that it comes from their culture. Therefore, it is up to you to decide what you believe & you need to research yourself exactly what Islam teaches! Exactly where religion comes in and where culture lies.

So my point is.. Islam is not an oppressive religion. Culture is to blame. Islam is truly an amazing religion once you have studied it and have a deeper understanding of it.
What would you do if you fell in love with a devout Muslim?
Original post by james22
Sent to hell for having different beliefs, such a kind and merciful God isn't it?

This is one of the major contradictions in Islam, God is described as most merciful and as someone who sends people to hell. I am certainly more merciful than Allah because I would never send anyone to hell and would do everything I could to stop people going there.

Allah is also the most Just. Everyone will get what he or she deserves, be it good or bad.
Reply 164
Allah is also the most Just. Everyone will get what he or she deserves, be it good or bad.

-Quick questions-

In Islam, is entrance to heaven based off of good works?

Do you beloeve Allah 'sends' them to hell, or people choose to not accept him and therefore they 'choose' to go to hell?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is not relivant, the contradiction I described still exists. Saying he is almost most just does nothing to counter my point. I'll rewrite my argument incase you missunderstood.

Not sending people to hell is more merciful than sending people to hell.
Allah sends people to hell.
I would never send anybody to hell.
Therefore I am more merciful than Allah.
This contradicts the Quran, which claims that Allah is most merciful.
Aren't you in year 11? How is it possible to go from pious to an atheist at the tender age of 15/16?

I'd really like to know what made you question your faith?

I was a devout Christian (the kind to stand up in class and use the bible to try and prove the teacher wrong) until I started secondary school. The sudden influx of new information I was being taught, e.g. evolutionary theory in biology, made me cast serious doubts over my faith because everything I had believed in could not stack up against the mountain of evidence for scientific theories. I went from a bible thumper to a staunch atheist agnostic within about three months.. all at the tender age of 13. Everyone has imaginary friends at some point, we atheists just grew out of ours.
Original post by james22

Allah doesn't want to send people to hell, that's why in the Qur'an, He constantly tells people to turn to Islam - which is the truth to stop people from going there hence Allah is the most Merciful!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
Allah doesn't want to send people to hell, that's why in the Qur'an, He constantly tells people to turn to Islam - which is the truth to stop people from going there hence Allah is the most Merciful!

If I were capable of stoping people from going to hell, I would make sure that nobody ended up there. Allah is capable, but does not stop everyone from ending up there. This makes me more merciful than Allah.
Original post by tabmax22
Modesty itself is an abstract concept. Sure I suppose it isn't immoral to be modest but it's harmful when your take on modesty becomes oppressive. Even if there are women who do purposely dress in a provocative manner solely to attract men, is there something wrong with that? It's natural.

Can you please tell me in what way the hijab is oppresive.

Just because a different society defines modesty differently is it wrong, or oppresive.

"Even if there are women who do purposely dress in a provocative manner solely to attract men, is there something wrong with that? It's natural."

Women are free to do as they wish. I did not say it is wrong, did I ?.
Original post by james22
If I were capable of stoping people from going to hell, I would make sure that nobody ended up there. Allah is capable, but does not stop everyone from ending up there. This makes me more merciful than Allah.

Like I said Allah doesn't want to punish people as He constantly says in the Qur'an to turn to Islam, doesn't matter how many sins you done in previous life he wants you accept Islam therefore shows he is the most forgiving and merciful. He can't send everyone to heaven then there's not really a point of living this life.
Like I said Allah doesn't want to punish people as He constantly says in the Qur'an to turn to Islam, doesn't matter how many sins you done in previous life he wants you accept Islam therefore shows he is the most forgiving and merciful. He can't send everyone to heaven then there's not really a point of living this life.

Which of the following is more merciful.

1. Sending people to hell or not preventing people from going to hell when you are capable of doing so.
2. Doing everything you can to make sure nobody goes to hell.
Original post by james22
Which of the following is more merciful.

1. Sending people to hell or not preventing people from going to hell when you are capable of doing so.
2. Doing everything you can to make sure nobody goes to hell.

2. that's what Allah does throughout the Qur'an. He tells us to accept the truth and be saved from Hell, if everyone converted to Islam they wouldn't need to worry about going to hell.
(edited 9 years ago)
2. but that's what Allah does throughout the Qur'an. He tells us to accept the truth and be saved from Hell, if everyone converted to Islam they wouldn't need to worry about going to hell.

So then nobody goes to hell then? Since Allah is omnipitent he can make sure that absolutely nobody goes to hell. Therefore nobody ends up in hell.
Original post by james22
So then nobody goes to hell then? Since Allah is omnipitent he can make sure that absolutely nobody goes to hell. Therefore nobody ends up in hell.

If they've been good and followed what Allah says, they wouldn't end up in hell. Everyone will go to heaven.
(edited 9 years ago)
If they've been good and followed what Allah says, they wouldn't end up in hell. Everyone will go to heaven.

This doesn't answer my question. Does anybody go to hell?
Original post by james22
This doesn't answer my question. Does anybody go to hell?

yes ofc some do those who didn't obey Allah or those who once did and decided to leave, final judgement still depends on your good and bad deeds though. So even those who believed in Islam can't guarantee they'll go to heaven they could end up in hell. It's all complicated..
(edited 9 years ago)
yes ofc some do those who didn't obey Allah or those who once did and decided to leave, final judgement still depends on your good and bad deeds though. So even those who believed in Islam can't guarantee they'll go to heaven they could end up in hell.

Is Allah capable of preventing these people from going to hell?
Original post by james22
Is Allah capable of preventing these people from going to hell?

yes he's God, it's all complicated though but he's the one who decides on the day only He knows..
yes he's God, it's all complicated though but he's the one who decides on the day only He knows..

You said that Allah does all he can to prevent people from going to hell. If people are still ending up in hell that means that either Allah is not doing all that he can, or that he is not omnipitent.

If he was omnipitent he could snap his fingers and get rid of hell in an instant.

Quick Reply

Latest