The Student Room Group

Ex-Muslim, now Atheist - ASK ME ANYTHING!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saad97
Because it's been tried by Arabs before and they haven't succeeded in doing so?

Any sources for this? I find it hard to imagine that there are no talented arab writers who can't replicate a 1400 year old book. How was this test carried out
Original post by ridwan12
No becuase the Qur'an does that for me.

:biggrin:

In all seriousness, I have never met someone who claims odin exist so no.

But the fact Muslims claim that Allah is the ONE TRUE God suggests to me that you would need to disprove the others first. How do you know it isn't Zeus or Odin as already mentioned. Infact there could be numerous Gods like most civilisations that weren't touched by Abrahamic religion believe.
According to your very own reasoning the onus lies with you to disprove the existence of these Gods

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 222
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Any sources for this? I find it hard to imagine that there are no talented arab writers who can't replicate a 1400 year old book. How was this test carried out

Not that I know of but then again, I wasn't trying to prove anything to you, was just helping to answer your question. It's up to you what you believe or don't believe. I just think it's worth considering the fact that the "1400 year old book" has never been changed unlike the Bible and other religious texts so there must be something unique and special about it.
Original post by miscounted_time
But the fact Muslims claim that Allah is the ONE TRUE God suggests to me that you would need to disprove the others first. How do you know it isn't Zeus or Odin as already mentioned. Infact there could be numerous Gods like most civilisations that weren't touched by Abrahamic religion believe.
According to your very own reasoning the onus lies with you to disprove the existence of these Gods

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Ricky Gervais put this really well

Original post by saad97
Not that I know of but then again, I wasn't trying to prove anything to you, was just helping to answer your question. It's up to you what you believe or don't believe. I just think it's worth considering the fact that the "1400 year old book" has never been changed unlike the Bible and other religious texts so there must be something unique and special about it.

That doesn't mean it is special at all. In fact that is the reason why it is so criticised today
Reply 225
That doesn't mean it is special at all. In fact that is the reason why it is so criticised today

Why would you criticise something if it is authentic?
Original post by saad97
Why would you criticise something if it is authentic?

... ...? That makes no sense. Mein Kampf is authentic. It is the authentic book authored by Hitler.. It is criticised for its content. Besides, I find it unlikely that it wasnt changed in some way
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 227
... ...? That makes no sense. Mein Kampf is authentic. It is the authentic book authored by Hitler.. It is criticised for its content. Besides, I find it unlikely that it wasnt changed in some way

And now you're making no sense either because the comparison you just made is irrelevant.
You said: "That doesn't mean it is special at all. In fact that is the reason why it is so criticised today."
So you're trying to say the reason it is so criticised today is because it is authentic.

However the Mein Kampf is "criticised for its content," not because it is authentic.
Original post by saad97
And now you're making no sense either because the comparison you just made is irrelevant.
You said: "That doesn't mean it is special at all. In fact that is the reason why it is so criticised today."
So you're trying to say the reason it is so criticised today is because it is authentic.

However the Mein Kampf is "criticised for its content," not because it is authentic.

No I meant that the fact that it has never 'allegedly' (there are claims that differ) been edited is the reason why it is so criticised. The Bible has edited a lot of the bad stuff out, while it is still in the quran
Reply 229
No I meant that the fact that it has never 'allegedly' (there are claims that differ) been edited is the reason why it is so criticised. The Bible has edited a lot of the bad stuff out, while it is still in the quran

Well that just contradicts the whole point of being religious then. You can't just mix and match and cut out bits from your religious texts so it fits in with society. It should be the same for everyone, whether it was in the 1st century or 21st.
Original post by saad97
Well that just contradicts the whole point of being religious then. You can't just mix and match and cut out bits from your religious texts so it fits in with society. It should be the same for everyone, whether it was in the 1st century or 21st.

Which is why so many Muslims have doubts deep down. You can't take rubbish from the 7th century, and expect people with an understand of science and technology to blindly follow it
Original post by h3isenberg

Your point is.

I never said that I can proof other god's don't exist. But rather I believe Allah is the one true god.
Reply 232
Which is why so many Muslims have doubts deep down. You can't take rubbish from the 7th century, and expect people with an understand of science and technology to blindly follow it

When did I ever mention anything about expecting people to blindly follow the Quran? I was only answering your question as to why some believe that it is complex. I really don't care whether people are atheist or not but it is wrong to call it "rubbish" because it is sacred to some and when people do such things, then arguments and conflicts arise.
Original post by Secretnerd123
How are you suddenly 'free' without islam? I honestly feel so sorry for OP. Disbelievers (and especially those who were given the privelege to be born into the religion then turned away) get the worst punishment on the day of judgement.

What evidence would you provide for an afterlife?
Original post by Hariex
What evidence would you provide for an afterlife?

its in da kuran blud
Original post by saad97
When did I ever mention anything about expecting people to blindly follow the Quran? I was only answering your question as to why some believe that it is complex. I really don't care whether people are atheist or not but it is wrong to call it "rubbish" because it is sacred to some and when people do such things, then arguments and conflicts arise.

Well because I wonder how many would follow if they actually used critical thinking
Original post by ridwan12
Your point is.

I never said that I can proof other god's don't exist. But rather I believe Allah is the one true god.

Why do you believe that?
Original post by h3isenberg

This website puts it at 28, 000, 000:

http://atheism.wikia.com/wiki/How_many_gods%3F
Original post by Hariex
Why do you believe that?

The Qur'an.

:biggrin:

Here are some of the linguistic uniquenesses I was talking about.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest