The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrSupernova
I ain't going through 9 pages; summarise it for me. Just curious as to how you can say without absolute certainty that you could get into Oxford or Cambridge if you wanted to

I really don't wanna have to explain it all haha. I told someone already on here that I shouldn't have said it the way I did. In my mind I didn't think I was coming off as big headed, but reading it back I guess it kind of does. I also explained why I think it would be easier for me to go into those uni's if they offered my course because of what I want to study, compared to if I wanted to study something like maths. It's a creative course, and a lot of uni's are more considerate to those who apply for them and get a grade lower or so, because you can't really judge a person's creativity and skill by how well they did in a subject completely irrelevant, if you get what I mean? Never intended to sound like I'm amazing and can get into anywhere haha.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Definately a lot of them at Bristol. I've been to house parties with the students there and a lot of them wear blazers with shoulder pads and sip wine while talking about physics lmfao.

Pretty much sums up Bristol!
Reply 182
After Oxbridge, it has to be the likes of Bristol, Warwick, Bath, LSE, UCL, KCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham. Nottingham has all the clever rich kids who think they are too cool for the boring Durham and St Andrews.
hopefully the rahs stick to poverty brands such as a and f, and hollister hahaha

ralph lauren is GOAT
As a current Edinburgh student, our reputation for being full of posh kids is both true and false. It is about 50/50 i would say, with the difference really showing with where people live in First Year. I stayed in self-catered halls where there were a few posh people but they were heavily outnumbered by non-posh people (probably 90/10 non-posh to posh). In Pollock (catered) it's the exact opposite, so as i said it's about 50/50 all told.

But that shouldn't really matter, the ones who are snobs are easy to spot and therefore easy to avoid, and the rest are just like everyone else.
Reply 185
Original post by conorm11
As a current Edinburgh student, our reputation for being full of posh kids is both true and false. It is about 50/50 i would say, with the difference really showing with where people live in First Year. I stayed in self-catered halls where there were a few posh people but they were heavily outnumbered by non-posh people (probably 90/10 non-posh to posh). In Pollock (catered) it's the exact opposite, so as i said it's about 50/50 all told.

But that shouldn't really matter, the ones who are snobs are easy to spot and therefore easy to avoid, and the rest are just like everyone else.

This poshness debate is overstated. Even Cambridge now takes in more state school kids than ever before. The posh kids are spread across the Russell Group. I would imagine quite a few of these toffs are doing Medical, Dental or Veterinary Science degrees. Some medical schools are not in the Russell Group (Leicester, Lancester to name a few).
Original post by Mansun
This poshness debate is overstated. Even Cambridge now takes in more state school kids than ever before. The posh kids are spread across the Russell Group. I would imagine quite a few of these toffs are doing Medical, Dental or Veterinary Science degrees. Some medical schools are not in the Russell Group (Leicester, Lancester to name a few).

I would agree with all of that. What i think is more important is looking at why Oxbridge takes in more private-school kids than state compared to how many kids are privately/state educated. That's the problem, and it sure isn't down to better education...
Edinburgh, well at least they like to believe they are the Snobs of Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People saying Durham must be Durham alumni.

I went to a Public school and I can tell most of the so called Durham posh are fakes - Grammar school types trying to make it or fake it as the case may be.

He He He
Newcastle was full of them.
Original post by tehFrance
Bath Spa, Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Oxbridge and RAU, among others.

Why are you looking for a uni with these types? :holmes:

Edit: Reading through the thread people keep mentioning A&F along with Jack Wills as rah clothing, what about Joules or Hollister? Now Joules is certainly 'rah' clothing, is it not?

Oh and for all the 'rahs' out there :h:

Bath spa? Is that a joke.
Original post by tehforum
Dumb rich people thought they were applying to Oxford, innit.

LOL! I actually have a friend who goes to Oxford brookes. She tells everyone she's at Oxford!:biggrin:
yeah I know the type.

Oh...... Ox ford the city.... actually.
Original post by Last Day Lepers
Bath spa? Is that a joke.

No but then it has been a while since I was last there, there seemed to be quite a few of the rah type looking around.
Original post by Cobbler
LOL! I actually have a friend who goes to Oxford brookes. She tells everyone she's at Oxford!:biggrin:

Really? Wonder what future employers will think if she says to them she attended Oxford only to find out it was Brookes :colonhash:
No but then it has been a while since I was last there, there seemed to be quite a few of the rah type looking around.

Really? Wonder what future employers will think if she says to them she attended Oxford only to find out it was Brookes :colonhash:

You sure you don't mean Uni of Bath rather than Bath spa uni?
Original post by Last Day Lepers
You sure you don't mean Uni of Bath rather than Bath spa uni?

Probably, I was at a party so don't remember much of the uni itself so it's entirely possible I got the uni mixed up :lol:
Probably, I was at a party so don't remember much of the uni itself so it's entirely possible I got the uni mixed up :lol:

Yeah I reckon it was Uni of Bath.

These are bath spa students, not very posh............ or talented.

[video="youtube;fae2mjWWw0I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fae2mjWWw0I[/video]
UCL and Kings College.
Original post by Melon girl
UCL and Kings College.

Is it because of the Krazy Prince on TSR? (A rich Pakistani coming to join KCL) LOL

OP: There are always mixed students in every university but I think LSE has the highest proportion of rich students.
Original post by DiddyDec
You have all missed the top candidate.

Royal Agricultural University (Cirencester). It is the sort of place you will see men in salmon coloured trousers doing for a weekend shoot on Daddy's estate. It is the sort of place that will not allow you entry unless you own at least 2000 acres and many horses.

Harper Adams too, lots of posh farmer types:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending