The Student Room Group

Regret doing my degree - any other mature students feel the same?

I recently graduated with a 2:1 however I'm not feeling too positive about it. Although I'm happy I made new friends (although he wasn't on my course I also very possibly wouldn't have met my boyfriend I hadn't done my degree either) I'm thinking that doing the degree has maybe messed up my chances of getting a job in the future; I can't see me getting graduate job with it and I might now have difficulty getting a regular office job as I maybe seen as being over qualified. Anyone else feel the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by gemmam
I recently graduated with a 2:1 however I'm not feeling too positive about it. Although I'm happy I made new friends (although he wasn't on my course I also very possibly wouldn't have met my boyfriend I hadn't done my degree either) I'm thinking that doing the degree has maybe messed up my chances of getting a job in the future; I can't see me getting graduate job with it and I might now have difficulty getting a regular office job as I maybe seen as being over qualified. Anyone else feel the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you seriously saying 2:1 isn't a good grade? BYE.
Reply 2
Original post by PC2852

I wasn't saying that a 2:1 isn't a good grade, I was talking about the subject itself. I'd be saying the same even if I got a first.
Many employers don't take into account the subject you studied. They merely focus on the qualifications you've attained and a 2:1 is usually their standard requirement. In your case, I think you shouldn't be worried about anything.
Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

What makes you say that? For a lot of jobs its not about the subject itself but the person overall- the skills and experience they have alongside the degree
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

i did history but changed to mechanical engineering after 1st year

best move i ever made!

i did history because i liked history, but i realised i didnt like it enough to pursue it outside of work time/in free time.
Original post by PC2852

Are you seriously saying that you only read the first sentence of the post?

Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
What makes you say that? For a lot of job its not about the subject itself but the personal overall- the skills and experience they have alongside the degree

I've heard its more difficult for a mature student to get graduate job.

Original post by rickfloss
i did history but changed to mechanical engineering after 1st year

best move i ever made!

i did history because i liked history, but i realised i didnt like it enough to pursue it outside of work time/in free time.

Yeah I wish I did the same and switched to something more vocational.
Original post by gemmam
I've heard its more difficult for a mature student to get graduate job.

Afraid I don't know about that. Tbh if anything I'd imagine you'd find it easier due to having more work experience than someone who went straight from high school to uni.
Reply 9
Picking the right degree is key, follow the job market. A job in social studies/history (environmental science) etc is a waste of time. You'd be on more money and no debt working your way up from the age of 18.

Mechanical/Engineering degrees seem to be the most useful.

A mature student is more likely to get a job, most employer's in my experience don't think a 21 year old is an adult.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gemmam

I know dem feels, I know dem feels too well. :sadnod:

I was classed as a 'mature student' (twenty three) by my uni and regret the degree I chose to pursue. In fact, I agree with the entire OP now I have started job hunting after receiving my classification. Constant rejections, for the win. :woo:
(edited 9 years ago)
I retrained as a beauty therapist after uni. I was happier to have a trade that I had an interest in if I was gonna get paid naff all either way as an arts graduate.

Fast forward to my midlate twenties and I'm hoping to go back to do a different degree.

Post degree life is hard but you'll find a way that works for you. Good luck :smile:
I can't find any mention on this thread about what degree you actually did?
Yeah I graduated with a 2:1 and I'm not thrilled either.

I mean I'm glad I have a degree, but I feel I could have used those 3 years a bit more productively if I really wanted to.
Reply 14
Original post by laurakate1988
I retrained as a beauty therapist after uni. I was happier to have a trade that I had an interest in if I was gonna get paid naff all either way as an arts graduate.

Fast forward to my midlate twenties and I'm hoping to go back to do a different degree.

Post degree life is hard but you'll find a way that works for you. Good luck :smile:

I'm a qualified Beautician too actually, never worked as one though. Whats your second degree in? And thanks :smile:

Original post by David B
I can't find any mention on this thread about what degree you actually did?

I'd prefer not to mention it as it's not a very well-known one, its English Lit/History based I guess.
Reply 15
Original post by Dragonfly07
Yeah I graduated with a 2:1 and I'm not thrilled either.

I mean I'm glad I have a degree, but I feel I could have used those 3 years a bit more productively if I really wanted to.

Same here. I'm still glad I got a degree in a way because I have proved to myself I could do it (I was often thought of as being a bit thick when I was younger you see).
Original post by gemmam
I'd prefer not to mention it as it's not a very well-known one, its English Lit/History based I guess.

The degree itself doesn't matter, what matters is the time and effort you put into the course and the experiences you gained as a result of doing your chosen subject.
Spas are always recruiting due to high staff turnover if you want employment asap.

I'm BA drama and MA music so far. The key thing for me was to say to myself that I didn't need a graduate job to justify the degrees I'd done. It was more a question of am I happy to do it? Is there call for it?

Original post by gemmam
I'm a qualified Beautician too actually, never worked as one though. Whats your second degree in? And thanks :smile:

What degree did you do?
Reply 19
Original post by laurakate1988
Spas are always recruiting due to high staff turnover if you want employment asap.

I'm BA drama and MA music so far. The key thing for me was to say to myself that I didn't need a graduate job to justify the degrees I'd done. It was more a question of am I happy to do it? Is there call for it?

I only have level 2 plus I had a pretty bad experience when I was training which put me off working in that industry. Thanks for the suggestion though and good luck with your second degree.

Original post by Last Day Lepers
What degree did you do?

As I said above I would prefer not to say as its not a very well-known one. Someone who did a very similar degree to mine recently made an "Ask Me Anything" thread in the chat section and got quite a bit of stick for it though so I guess its what some might think of as a useless degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending