The Student Room Group

If firearms were legal, would you own one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
yes I would get a glock

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bertstare
Why or why not? What kind of firearm would you buy?

they are legal. but you basically have to own your own home. my land lord wouldnt allow guns on the premises.

its expensive.
and a pain in the ass.

owning a shotgun in the uk isnt that hard.
you can own a shotgun that holds 2 shells.
in a pump action it won't class the 3rd loaded shell in the breach.

you can own a .22 semi automatic rifle. typically a ruger 10/22

you can also own straight pull rifles (basically a bolt action rifle)
so you can own an ak47 that's straight pull. meaning you have to pull back the charging handle everytime you fire it.

if you want a gun for target shooting you need to be a member of a gun club that does that kind of shooting. and that club will require you to jump certain hoops to join them.

for hunting you cannot shoot certain animals with certain calibers.

people often think it means you have to shoot them with the smallest.
actually the concern is the other way. they would rather you shoot animals with a larger caliber as it is a more secure kill and less chance of leaving the animal wounded and dying slowly. the law favours human killing without cruelty. hence the caliber restrictions.

in northern ireland if you work in the private security sector you can own a pistol. this used to be restricted to a Browning High Power. but its changed since then.

outside of Northern ireland its incredibly rare that you can own a pistol although there are freak exceptions.

but seeing as im not in northern ireland.
I would own a
Benelli M3 Kromo 12 Gauge Shotgun
Ruger 10/22 .22
Mauser M03 .308

if I was in america I'd own a huge gun collection

but i'd start with a glock 19 and a colt m4

why? I think their cool. its as shallow and childish as that. make more sense than playing with toy trains or stamp collecting.
its power you can hold in your hands.
its fun to shoot.
and its nice to know if the zombie apocalypse comes you're at an advantage.
(edited 9 years ago)
Typical liberal emotional response

Rather be a liberal than a sheep to be honest ...
Original post by limetang
I'm going to give you a change to think about what you said there, because you cannot possibly believe that.

I own a car. Am I responsible if somebody steels that and runs over someone with it?

Under law, you're equally responsible unfortunately, because the car is registered to you :smile: -- sucks, but that's it.

Other "stupid" laws include the cracked egg law: If my mum attacks me and I push her back knocking her to the ground and killing her, it's still considered murder, even though I was defending myself, because she is considered WEAKER than me ...

Picture this scenario ... I rob your house, find your gun cabinet whilst having gloves on ... I take one of your precious glocks and shoot your son/wife/daughter/mum/dad (whatever) ... the ONLY person to have used that gun is YOU, because it has YOUR DNA on it, not mine .... now try telling the Jury "Oh, some random guy got into my house and used the gun" ... GOOD LUCK :biggrin:
Think I'd get me one of these, the poster boy of freedomz and murica

That's pretty cool! :biggrin:

Yes, I would.
On COD

Is that where you got your gun licence? :rolleyes:
Original post by Monsieur Gamma
Picture this scenario ... I rob your house, find your gun cabinet whilst having gloves on ... I take one of your precious glocks and shoot your son/wife/daughter/mum/dad (whatever) ... the ONLY person to have used that gun is YOU, because it has YOUR DNA on it, not mine .... now try telling the Jury "Oh, some random guy got into my house and used the gun" ... GOOD LUCK :biggrin:

How do you suppose you are going to get into the gun cabinet? And if you do then gain entry which is unlikely, how are you going to gain access to the ammunition which is stored separately from the the weapon in another locked container?
Ye for sure if everyone else had one I would as well. Good thing about our country is that guns are pretty much non existent in public.

But if they weren't then ofc I'd carry one to protect myself from all the other people. Wouldn't want to be another statistic like the victims in america.
Original post by RFowler
There are plenty of real reasons to have one. Lots of people in the UK go shooting for sport, you can't exactly do that without a gun.

theres safer alternatives you dont need a gun with enough force to kill someone i think
Reply 149
Rather be a liberal than a sheep to be honest ...

A sheep who trusts the govt with his safety... Sounds like you... I'm sure the police will save you bro
A sheep who trusts the govt with his safety... Sounds like you... I'm sure the police will save you bro

God you're such a tool.
Original post by DiddyDec
How do you suppose you are going to get into the gun cabinet? And if you do then gain entry which is unlikely, how are you going to gain access to the ammunition which is stored separately from the the weapon in another locked container?

Not everyone is as smart as you :smile: .... The amount of cases I've heard of kids and adolescents getting their hands on their parents guns is appalling ....

Besides, one thing I find ridiculous is that people can get Assault rifles and other full automatic weaponry ... who the **** needs them? if you're going to ever legalise guns ... keep them with hand guns ... that's all they need.

Gun owners, and pro-legalise-gun peeps are so ****ing stubborn and moronic it's unreal.
Not everyone is as smart as you :smile: .... The amount of cases I've heard of kids and adolescents getting their hands on their parents guns is appalling ....

Besides, one thing I find ridiculous is that people can get Assault rifles and other full automatic weaponry ... who the **** needs them? if you're going to ever legalise guns ... keep them with hand guns ... that's all they need.

Gun owners, and pro-legalise-gun peeps are so ****ing stubborn and moronic it's unreal.

I like you. :smile:
lol yes... as everyone else would have one, so I would need one. That's why guns being legal is a bad idea
Original post by pinejuice
theres safer alternatives you dont need a gun with enough force to kill someone i think

I'm talking about sport shooting, not self defence. If you want to do that you do need a gun.
Under law, you're equally responsible unfortunately, because the car is registered to you :smile: -- sucks, but that's it.

Other "stupid" laws include the cracked egg law: If my mum attacks me and I push her back knocking her to the ground and killing her, it's still considered murder, even though I was defending myself, because she is considered WEAKER than me ...

I'm not responsible though am I? Two of those examples are of laws that are incredibly unfair (if they exist) and shouldn't exist (if they do). And the other is a miscarriage of justice. Not really good examples to show how of ACTUALLY be responsible for the crimes of another who happened to be using a weapon of mine.

Could you link me to one of those stories?

You struggle to get fully automatic weapons even in the US without a shed load of legislation. You can't even get fully automatic in the UK.

Most guns in the UK are used for either target shooting or hunting. And it would be pretty inhumane to use a .22 against a large deer. You need a larger calibre to take down a larger animal. How are you going to shoot a rabbit with a pistol at 100 yards?

Handguns are actually more dangerous than a rifle or shotgun. They are normally semi automatic. With multiple rounds and they can be concealed easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by limetang
I'm not responsible though am I? Two of those examples are of laws that are incredibly unfair (if they exist) and shouldn't exist (if they do). And the other is a miscarriage of justice. Not really good examples to show how of ACTUALLY be responsible for the crimes of another who happened to be using a weapon of mine.

They don't exist. He is just trying to be a prick

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
They don't exist. He is just trying to be a prick

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't think so, but thought it best to address how it's absurd irrespective of laws for them.

Quick Reply

Latest