The Student Room Group

You find a £20 note on the street...

Scroll to see replies

If I saw someone drop the £20 I'd definitely give it back, but if there was no one around I'd probably keep it or give it to charity if I didn't need it. I guess the anonymity and having no way of knowing the consequences eases my conscience.
You could give me £20 and then see what I do with it..
Original post by shooks
Do you:

Keep it

Hand it in at the nearest police station

Donate to a charity that I know will put it to good use.
If it was a large sum of money or in a wallet I would hand it in, however, if it was literally just a £20 note blowing around on the street I'd probably keep it
Keep it, it's only £20. However, if it's in a wallet then I would hand it in/return it.
Original post by Motorbiker
Hand it in to the police station. that's the standard. and my "Magic figure" is £10 or £20.

I don't know who dropped it or what their story is. £20 could be the difference in them eating this week or not. Who am i to keep the money and piss it away?

If they don'ty need it and don't claim it then i get it back after a month anyway guilt free and full of karma.

Well You found it the owner cant be contacted so its yours now
Hand it in to the police station. that's the standard. and my "Magic figure" is £10 or £20.

I don't know who dropped it or what their story is. £20 could be the difference in them eating this week or not. Who am i to keep the money and piss it away?

If they don'ty need it and don't claim it then i get it back after a month anyway guilt free and full of karma.

And who's to say that as i the person who picks it up it doesnt apply to me:

Perhaps £20 could be the difference in me eating this week or not, if somoenes careless enough to have dropped a £20, I doubt they were relying on it for as dire a situation as you suggest.

What if whoever dropped it was really rich and i was really poor. And no one in their right mind is going to go to a police station to claim a £20.

If you hand it in all youre doing is giving it to the coppers who will most likely take it themselves. Its just a waste of time for everybody.
I actually found £20 on the park bench the other day. I donated it to charity. So in response to the question above, neither, I'd donate it to charity as the money is lost anyway why not give it to someone who really needs it more than we do?
No, it's just a note

I'd keep it or if I saw a homeless person at the same time, I'd give it to them

If it's a wallet or purse with someone's contact details in then is the time to hand it in to the police station
Reply 89
Original post by Bill_Gates
Give it to charity.

This is a good idea I'd say. If it was a wallet, I'd definitely hand it into the nearest police station, but if it was just simply a note, I think I may keep it really.
New thread needed i reckon.

How much money you would need to find before you handed it in?
1p to £4.99.
£5-19.99
£20 - 49.99
£50-99.99
£100-199.99
£200-499.99
£500+
I'd never hand it in, lol

Deffo - go for it :smile:
Keep it, unless the person who dropped it was obvious/nearby.

Nobody goes to the police station checking for their lost £20. If it was £200, on the other hand...
Keep it. These things come full circle - I've dropped money before, and found money on different occasions.
I would keep it.

I once found a tenner in Ikea and my mum made me hand it in... This was about 12 years ago and it bugs me to this ****ing day.
£20 could be the difference in them eating this week or not.

If it's that significant to them I wouldn't expect them to have dropped it. Also, however significant £20 is to someone, I don't think they'd check with the police station. It probably wouldn't occur to them that someone might have handed it in.
Depends on a few variables:
If I saw who dropped it, I'd pick it up, catch up with them, and give it back.
If it was just lying there and a homeless person was nearby, I'd pick it up and give it to them.
If it was just lying there and no homeless person was nearby, I'd pick it up and stick it into the first charity bucket I found.

I know it's only £20, but I'd feel so guilty using it myself! But I don't think it's worth taking into a police station.
(edited 9 years ago)
This sort of happened to me, in the sense that I found a £20 note in a puddle in a supermarket carpark. There were no other cars (bar the one we were in) in that part of the carpark, suggesting whoever it belonged to had long gone and there was very little chance of them getting it back. So I took it, dried it out and kept it. There is nothing linking a note to who ever might have owned it so it would be hard for the police to return it.

However had the money been in a purse or wallet, especially if there are cards in there too (no matter if they are credit cards or student cards ect.) I would probably hand it in. Personally if I lost a note, I'd be very disappointed but think it would be unlikely I'd get it back. However, if I lost my purse with all my cards (debit card, student ID, proof of age, ect.) then I would put in a lot more effort to try and get it back and would hope it would be handed in, even if the money in it has gone, as whoever finds it has no use for my cards but it would cost me a lot of time and money to replace them all. Having cards in the purse/wallet also means it is a lot more likely to get back to it's original owner.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Stinkum
I don't need a £20 note that's lying on the ground in the street. I wouldn't give it a second look.

It's not a wise idea to pick something up that you find on the ground, no matter what that thing is.

If I found a £20 note dropped inside a room or within a building, I might take the opportunity (the operative word here being 'might') to hand it in to security personnel. Otherwise, I would ignore it. It's not worth the potential trouble that it may cause.

Me too!

Quick Reply

Latest