The Student Room Group

Students who get an A* grade in English are more clever than those doing Math/Science

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ndella
Sure, son.

Yea what's up?
Original post by newblood
''more clever''

really? You're certainly not cleverer then...i imagine no A*s in english for you lol

I hope you are joking? She used clever, is the perfect grammatical sense. The word "cleverer" is ungrammatical...
Original post by Dilzo999
gimmi some of dat **** u been smokin.

On a serious note, English just consists of how well you can bullsh*t. Maths on the other hand is about applying logic and there's only 1 right answer, so you can't "get lucky".

People always think like this because they are so ignorant. English is how well you can write and that is something no one can teach. Sure, Maths is logic behind closed doors, however there is just one right answer, therefore it's either right or wrong.... All you need to do is remember how to do an equation, formula, etc to get a maths question right.

On the other hand, you cannot revise an answer for English, period. You can remember how a typical question would go, but you can do that for all subjects. English requires you to think logically and philosophically.

I was always better at English and have a passion for it. I personally struggled and still do struggle with maths because I just don't get it as I just hate the thing. But I do know, once you get a formula right, boom you have the answers. English is not like that. There are no right or wrong answers, which makes it difficult subject to succeed in. However it is subjective and it does fall down to a mark scheme.

If you can't respect the subject, then you don't have any right to talk about it the way you do.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
People always think like this because they are so ignorant. English is how well you can write and that is something no one can teach. Sure, Maths is logic behind closed doors, however there is just one right answer, therefore it's either right or wrong.... All you need to do is remember how to do an equation, formula, etc to get a maths question right.

On the other hand, you cannot revise an answer for English, period. You can remember how a typical question would go, but you can do that for all subjects. English requires you to think logically and philosophically.

I was always better at English and have a passion for it. I personally struggled and still do struggle with maths because I just don't get it as I just hate the thing. But I do know, once you get a formula right, boom you have the answers. English is not like that. There are no right or wrong answers, which makes it difficult subject to succeed in. However it is subjective and it does fall down to a mark scheme.

If you can't respect the subject, then you don't have any right to talk about it the way you do.

You must be very deluded if you think that all you need to do is remember a formula. If it was that simple then it wouldn't everyone be good at it?
Original post by Dilzo999
You must be very deluded if you think that all you need to do is remember a formula. If it was that simple then it wouldn't everyone be good at it?

That is all you need to do at GCSE, when I was at school. As I said it is obviously way more complicated behind closed doors; me referring to A-level and higher level education.

I know from looking at what my friends did at A-level Maths it was no walk in the park. But neither is English and to write it off as writing "bull****" it ridiculous and very arrogant of you to say so.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
That is all you need to do at GCSE, when I was at school. As I said it is obviously way more complicated behind closed doors; me referring to A-level and higher level education.

I know from looking at what my friends did at A-level Maths it was no walk in the park. But neither is English and to write it off as writing "bull****" it ridiculous and very arrogant of you to say so.

Yes I agree, I was pretty arrogant and have been proven wrong by someone a few posts back. And yes GCSE maths is ridiculously straight forward if you learn the "formula" although that's going to change soon :smile:.
a) GSCE grades don't really tell you much about intelligence.
b) You can't compare them. They are completely different subjects and require different types of thinking and hence intelligence.
i did english lit , spanish and psychology at A2 - all essay subjects - and i have to say i found them a lot easier than i would have found any of the sciences or maths

i just can't do sciences or maths - remembering a quote is so much easier than remembering what side of the triangle i have to put into what part of what equation. plus , you can *quite* easily bull**** your way through english and get a relatively good grade (maybe a B?) , and i know that the majority of my A2 class did. i know reading the material can be hard , but if you attend the lessons you are basically spoon fed opinions. psychology is harder - you actually have to spend hours and hours learning the material , but i guess it's pretty close to biology in that , so not a huge difference.

spanish is undeniably difficult and requires at least a modicum of natural talent... but once you have the natural talent and a work ethic , i still say it's easier than maths or sciences...

each person has a talent somewhere i guess , and mine is definitely writing essays
(edited 9 years ago)
It worries me greatly that anyone replied seriously to this thread.
Totally agree.
I want to study English Lit at uni and I did Chemistry, Biology and Maths for my A levels and I found them all very easy was getting As in Bio and Chem, dropped Maths because I really didn't enjoy it.

English lit requires so much independent thinking, far more than in science.
I'm science subjects its hard to go wrong because you either know the answer or you don't whereas in English its always the dilemma of relevancy and articulation.

I recently watched a scientific study that said anybody who reads literature is far more capable of solving problems in maths/science..here it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYpofvqVxzc
All of those who think science makes you smarter obviously do not know the definition of intelligence.
It is independent, creative, critical and innovative.
It does not need formula's or facts.
It can take all the knowledge it has and create something genius from it.

Although I love science, it severely degrades intelligence by forcing us to get used to rote learning and to totally depend on knowledge or proven 'facts'.

Guess what, there are sooo many things that scientists find impossible to comprehend and explain which they dismiss as untrue because it does not correspond with the facts.

In the accurate words of George Bernard Shaw; 'Science never solves a problem without creating ten more.'

tbf most people who get a* in maths and science are stupid people when it comes to real life
AlexKay, please don't troll. No one who can form coherent sentences is that ignorant.

Quick Reply

Latest