The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHOO
Nah we havnt. Not since the 6-1 win over Southampton in the 12-13 season.. I can't remember any other after that :/

This is why I say that we need someone else with or in place if Giroud.. As good as he is.. He's not lethal enough to punish a team.

The 7-3 Newcastle game was a thrashing of sorts, they got tired and we exploited that!

I don't see us getting a new ST who is a massive improvement on Giroud sadly (30+ goals a season) unless Arsene has something up his sleeve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SHOO
On another note, as sexy as Chambers looks (no homo), does this mean Verm is pretty much leaving?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1406735244.655875.jpg

Why the number 5 :/

Training tops always have random numbers, the guy obviously hasn't been assigned a shirt number yet and Vermaelen is injured/on holiday. I remember RVP wearing #31 for us when he first joined.

Original post by Peggles_*
He's reportedly favouring a move to Sp*rs because he will be guaranteed a spot in the starting XI rather than having to work for it at AFC.

Yeh, i'm sure getting to work under his old manager again has nothing to do with it.
Original post by SHOO
On another note, as sexy as Chambers looks (no homo), does this mean Verm is pretty much leaving?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1406735244.655875.jpg

Why the number 5 :/

Because he had signed literally the day before and was straight off to Austria with the team. People automatically thought that meant TV5 was off but in reality, Chambers was probably in No5 because that is all they had printed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The 7-3 Newcastle game was a thrashing of sorts, they got tired and we exploited that!

I don't see us getting a new ST who is a massive improvement on Giroud sadly (30+ goals a season) unless Arsene has something up his sleeve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That 7-3 was one of the most enjoyable games Ive ever been at . Top top entertainment since it was competitive throughout and then we got a flood of top goals late on
Interesting Reus chat on twitter. Le Grove (I know!) said we had agreed a fee with Dortmund for him, around the £40m mark, as he was Arsene #1 target and was going to play as a forward. He turned up down, expecting Barca to come in for him. This was confirmed by @DeanLDN22 (often reliable) who I'm pretty sure is @afcamden from a few years ago. Kike Marin has said something similar in the last few days as well, but says he was willing to move but we pulled out after his injury. So either way, the Reus links were real!

Our back up plan was Sanchez which is wise of us considering last year we didn't have on and ended up with nothing.

Suggests we may go back in for him next summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interesting Reus chat on twitter. Le Grove (I know!) said we had agreed a fee with Dortmund for him, around the £40m mark, as he was Arsene #1 target and was going to play as a forward. He turned up down, expecting Barca to come in for him. This was confirmed by @DeanLDN22 (often reliable) who I'm pretty sure is @afcamden from a few years ago. Kike Marin has said something similar in the last few days as well, but says he was willing to move but we pulled out after his injury. So either way, the Reus links were real!

Our back up plan was Sanchez which is wise of us considering last year we didn't have on and ended up with nothing.

Suggests we may go back in for him next summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find it hard to believe that BVB would agree a price for Reus when they let Lewandowski run down his contract for nothing tbh. For £40m they're just as well to keep him for the year and to see what happens next summer anyway.

Really find it hard to believe that Reus would come to Arsenal when every top club in Europe would take him, except maybe Real who are stacked.
Original post by Zürich
That 7-3 was one of the most enjoyable games Ive ever been at . Top top entertainment since it was competitive throughout and then we got a flood of top goals late on

Lol I was East Lower for that match and saw all the 2nd half madness close up! There is just something so sexy about Theo's finishing, can be very Titi at times!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich
I find it hard to believe that BVB would agree a price for Reus when they let Lewandowski run down his contract for nothing tbh. For £40m they're just as well to keep him for the year and to see what happens next summer anyway.

Really find it hard to believe that Reus would come to Arsenal when every top club in Europe would take him, except maybe Real who are stacked.

Maybe so but it cannot go ignored. By all accounts the links were there. And I guess the whole issue of keeping an unhappy player may have come into play.

Didn't he kick up a fuss a few weeks ago about Barca not coming in for him?

I rarely trust Marin though, because more often than not, he's wrong! Dean is much more reliable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1968
Letting in 3 goals against a team like Newcastle should be considered a crime, the defending in that game was absolutely diabolical.
Original post by jam278
We ain't thrashed a team for a while so that game felt good. :colonhash: Lol'ed at the people thinking Chelsea would go for the draw that game.

Still the Wigan thrashing and the Aston Villa thrashing was better. Nothing better than winning a game 8-0. It feels different to the 5-0 type spankings. The clean sheet is more important though.

When was the last time Arsenal spanked somebody(i.e. over 5-0) I think there was the Blackburn game but I don't remember any other in recent memory.

do the spurs 5-2 scorelines count? and the 7-3 against Newcastle last season (i think) was quite nice lol. Not as great margin of difference but an amazing game anyway
If we got Marco Reus I am fairly certain we wouldn't have went in for Alexis Sanchez. All talks of Reus in an Arsenal shirt are now irrelevant the way I see it.
Its good to see Forsythe taking over fitness sessions. Have read nothing but good things about him and he has a solid CV. He's going to oversee the development of a multi-million pound analytic complex to help us make more well informed decisions so you can see how much trust the board have in him.
Reply 1972
I would have taken Reus over Sanchez
He's reportedly favouring a move to Sp*rs because he will be guaranteed a spot in the starting XI rather than having to work for it at AFC.

I'd much rather add an extra £10m and go after Carvalho, two years younger and a much higher potential.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of interest have you seen Carvalho play? Honestly I hadn't heard of him till we were linked
The game against Newcastle back in 2010/11 season still pisses me off how the **** did we lose a 4 goal lead. Seeing that on premier league years it still annoys me. After the League Cup loss we just collapsed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kruz
The game against Newcastle back in 2010/11 season still pisses me off how the **** did we lose a 4 goal lead. Seeing that on premier league years it still annoys me. After the League Cup loss we just collapsed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Arsenal really should have won the league that year. United were absolutely awful for most of the season and still managed to win the league by default because nobody else turned up. We won 5 out of 19 away games ffs!
Original post by sr90
Arsenal really should have won the league that year. United were absolutely awful for most of the season and still managed to win the league by default because nobody else turned up. We won 5 out of 19 away games ffs!

Yeah United have not been good for the last few years but they've gotten away with it. After the League Cup loss out of 6 games we drew 5 of them and only won once that was against Blackpool. Then we lost to Bolton and beaten Man Utd and then losing two matches on the run and drawing the last match :frown:.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1977
Original post by Kruz

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember at half time, I walked to asda to buy some cookies.

I walked past the bookies & thought "Imagine I put £100 on for Arsenal to win" (being 4-0 up it was more than likely to win at least £20 or something..

Luckily, I was broke. And I don't bet.

But imagine I did?!

The following day's headlines would have read "Young Arsenal fan sets half of London on fire after Newcastle comeback"
(edited 9 years ago)
Like Reus would join Arsenal though.
Reply 1979
Original post by SarcasticMel
Like Reus would join Arsenal though.

I dunna, about a year ago you would probably say the same about Ozil & Sanchez.

Latest