The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scienceisgood
How do you feel with students being forced to take maths until they're 18 now?

It's a step in the right direction.

Are the maths and science departments at each other's throats in your school like they were in my old one before I went to uni?

Yes, absolutely.

Original post by Limpopo
Is it still de rigueur to belittle and browbeat gifted left handers like myself to switch to their right hand for hand writing or are teachers now largely just glad if their young charges manage to write anything at all even if it is by clutching a fat crayon between their toes?

Never heard of any discrimination against lefties.

Original post by Gorwell
How do you feel about teachers that tell students that they're failures?

Any confidence tips for prospective teachers?

:smile:

Those teachers are not supporting their students. My best tip is always to go in strict and not be too smiley at the beginning.
What do you enjoy about being a teacher?
Original post by Luketreherne
Why did you choose to go into teaching , more so why did you choose to teach maths ?

It was the best use for my caring and hard working attributes. Maths was the only subject I did well in in school so it was by default.

Have you ever received Christmas cards/presents from your students before?

Yes but only from Year 7s in my form.

Original post by Nadine_08
So why did you decide to make a TSR account then? Or did you make it when you were a student but you still use it now?

I want to help others.
how would you react if you found out one of your students(female) had a crush on you?
Original post by Autistic Merit
It's a step in the right direction.

Yes, absolutely.

Never heard of any discrimination against lefties.

Those teachers are not supporting their students. My best tip is always to go in strict and not be too smiley at the beginning.

Whaaa, lol that is just scary, lol. I would not like to attend your classes if it was like that, lol.
Original post by peacefully_
how would you react if you found out one of your students(female) had a crush on you?

Teacher's reaction:-

Have you taught anyone you know from outside of the school? If so, how did you approach it and did they make it awkward at all?
Original post by AngelPhys
What do you enjoy about being a teacher?

Helping people.

Original post by peacefully_

For a more detailed answer look back in the thread as this question has come up a few times. In short it would be very awkward and I would have to report them. I would be flattered in a way though as it means I'm probably quite caring and kind in their eyes for them to be attracted to me.

Original post by Dr DaMan
Have you taught anyone you know from outside of the school? If so, how did you approach it and did they make it awkward at all?

No I haven't but I'd imagine they'd show off and be awkward.

For a more detailed answer look back in the thread as this question has come up a few times. In short it would be very awkward and I would have to report them. I would be flattered in a way though as it means I'm probably quite caring and kind in their eyes for them to be attracted to me.

You'd report them even for having a crush on you? Even if they didn't act on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to help others.

Cool :smile:
Original post by Serena20
You'd report them even for having a crush on you? Even if they didn't act on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they didn't act on it then I wouldn't know they had a crush on me. So, no, I'd only report if they were blatant about it.
If they didn't act on it then I wouldn't know they had a crush on me. So, no, I'd only report if they were blatant about it.

Plenty of girls in my school have crushes on the teachers and the teachers are aware of it but don't report it, it's pretty harmless unless acted upon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plenty of girls in my school have crushes on the teachers and the teachers are aware of it but don't report it, it's pretty harmless unless acted upon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I've never been too sure... I mean girls can act like they fancy you and always want your attention (work really hard, ask for my opinion on their work, help me with things, laugh at my crap jokes) but that doesn't mean that they actually fancy me.
Well I've never been too sure... I mean girls can act like they fancy you and always want your attention (work really hard, ask for my opinion on their work, help me with things, laugh at my crap jokes) but that doesn't mean that they actually fancy me.

Yeah i understand that too, what I mean is there are a few girls that are well known for having crushes on the teachers (they speak openly about it and admit to having a crush on the teacher, even if he's in the room) and the teachers are aware of it but just ignore it or just laugh it off- from what i can see anyways. It's only a crush though and they don't act in appropriately around the teacher or anything so it would seem pointless to report.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah i understand that too, what I mean is there are a few girls that are well known for having crushes on the teachers (they speak openly about it and admit to having a crush on the teacher, even if he's in the room) and the teachers are aware of it but just ignore it or just laugh it off- from what i can see anyways. It's only a crush though and they don't act in appropriately around the teacher or anything so it would seem pointless to report.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is me personally, I would just find it really uncomfortable if a student went public about having a crush on me. Thankfully a non-issue though as I'm very ugly. :redface:
This is me personally, I would just find it really uncomfortable if a student went public about having a crush on me. Thankfully a non-issue though as I'm very ugly. :redface:

Ahh i see, yeah i can understand you feeling uncomfortable. Oh I'm sure you're not "very ugly", don't put yourself down. :tongue:

Not sure if this has been asked but are you attracted to any of the other teachers? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you use favouritism? I have great relationships with my teachers, we always have a nice chat in class. But there's one pe teacher who treats others differently - they get away with truant, not bringing pe kit etc. the rest are treated like normal - as any teacher would. (I'm usually one of the favourites so I don't really mind ha, but favouritism just annoys me!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh i see, yeah i can understand you feeling uncomfortable. Oh I'm sure you're not "very ugly", don't put yourself down. :tongue:

Not sure if this has been asked but are you attracted to any of the other teachers? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some teachers are very pretty, yes, but as soon as they mention their boyfriend that's me out of the game. :angry:

Original post by Macleod11
Do you use favouritism? I have great relationships with my teachers, we always have a nice chat in class. But there's one pe teacher who treats others differently - they get away with truant, not bringing pe kit etc. the rest are treated like normal - as any teacher would. (I'm usually one of the favourites so I don't really mind ha, but favouritism just annoys me!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

My favourites change everyday depending on who works hard and who's polite etc.
Reply 298

You're not ugly, I'll keep it a secret:p:lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think it's rude if a student walks past you in school and acts like you're not there?

Latest