The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmergencyBagels
apparently all the etonians are headed for edinburgh this year, heads up.

I'd have done the same tbh, if daddy hadn't gambled away all the old money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 401

I hear a few go there, but many make the journey to the Ivy league unis if Oxbridge doesn't materialise. A fair few seem to like doing Medicine at the top unis like Imperial and UCL.

better than an RG 2 anyday.
Leeds - a lot of people from made in chelsea went there. They like the nightlife in Leeds. Leeds has actually more students from private schools compared to any other university in England according to my dad who is a professor there.
Original post by Hannahmay01
Leeds - a lot of people from made in chelsea went there. They like the nightlife in Leeds. Leeds has actually more students from private schools compared to any other university in England according to my dad who is a professor there.

Ha, well that explains why a guy in my school (a private one) is keen on putting down history at Leeds as his first choice, with the UTMOST confidence of getting into banking. In fact, he's EXTREMELY unhesitant about getting into most lucrative roles within FO banking. He also has the backing of an alumni from my school, who is a wealth manager for Barclays bank. That I know for sure. I also bet he knows even more people (and, most likely, his dad probably works in banking). Connected, middle-class, privileged, white (Anglo-Saxon) Protestant (WASP), who has a lot of girls and parties in his life (and blowjobs I bet) and moderately high amounts of money already. He does work hard though. However, he isn't necessarily VERY bright. He's bright, but not very. He's actually quite bad at maths (he's dropping it; thinks he got a C at AS), and he's not UP there at the very top end of his game even with all of his other essay-based subjects. Lucky soul.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Well your dad would say that
Reply 406
Original post by Hannahmay01

Having graduated from Nottingham in 2005 (BSc Biochemistry) and Birkbeck (MSc Microbiology), I can give some valuable insight. I posted this elsewhere, but it seems a good fit here too (for what it is worth I turned down UCL at undergraduate level & Imperial at postgraduate level due to living costs and not wanting to give up my day job).

You are not far off with the above statement, as in terms of numbers Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham and Newcastle lead the way in the actual numbers (not percentages) of private school kids (6000-7000 approx) that make up the undergraduate numbers. St Andrews and Durham have a higher percentage intake, but they have far fewer places, and therefore less state school kids, but not more private school kids than the above.

The key above all else is to attend a Russell Group uni (plus St Andrews & Bath), this puts you in very good contention with the top employers and in academia. All is not lost if you didn't get into one of these excellent unis, as there are other ''good'' unis like Leicester, UAE, Royal Holloway, Reading etc. Bradford is often ranked low but has a good reputation and tradition. That is just to name a few.

Secondly, within the Russell Group (& Bath, St Andrews) you will get as good an education in each university broadly speaking, give or take a few (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial aside, they definitely have an edge there, but not by much). Durham, Bristol, St Andrews, Edinburgh are a bit harder to get into than, say Birmingham, and will attract a higher percentage of private school kids. But that said, they are not ''better'' by any significant means, there is no sweeping advantage in going to these than Birmingham in the eyes of employers or in academia. They are all considered excellent.

If further down the line you are thinking of going to Oxbridge for a masters, they will look at your uni grade AND what uni you attended. As long as it is Russell Group (& Bath, St Andrews) you WILL be given priority, whether it be Cardiff or UCL or Durham. Then they place the vast majority of other unis in the second tier bracket, followed by the former polytechnics.

If you get into Birmingham or Sheffield having missed out on Durham by one grade (this happened to one of my friends), don't be disappointed, be proud! Well done - you made it into one of the elite UK universities, welcome to the club.

On a final note, forget media league tables, they are WORTHLESS. University tradition and Russell Group membership is the only serious criteria employers and other Universities care about. NOBODY, and I mean NODBODY in a professional capacity cares about league tables, as they can't possibly capture all the criteria and fair means and diversity to compare universities. Remember, Russell Group membership, tradition, and government commissioned RAE ratings are among the only things that matter.

On another note, Nottingham and Birmingham, to name a few, are working their socks off to try and get students from poorer backgrounds into their unis. Not sure about Duhram, St Andrews, Edinburgh etc, maybe they should be doing more too. Even Cambridge has admitted record numbers of state school kids last year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
Having graduated from Nottingham in 2005 (BSc Biochemistry) and Birkbeck (MSc Microbiology), I can give some valuable insight. I posted this elsewhere, but it seems a good fit here too (for what it is worth I turned down UCL at undergraduate level & Imperial at postgraduate level due to living costs and not wanting to give up my day job).

You are not far off with the above statement, as in terms of numbers Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham and Newcastle lead the way in the actual numbers (not percentages) of private school kids (6000-7000 approx) that make up the undergraduate numbers. St Andrews and Durham have a higher percentage intake, but they have far fewer places, and therefore less state school kids, but not more private school kids than the above.

The key above all else is to attend a Russell Group uni (plus St Andrews & Bath), this puts you in very good contention with the top employers and in academia. All is not lost if you didn't get into one of these excellent unis, as there are other ''good'' unis like Leicester, UAE, Royal Holloway, Reading etc. Bradford is often ranked low but has a good reputation and tradition. That is just to name a few.

Secondly, within the Russell Group (& Bath, St Andrews) you will get as good an education in each university broadly speaking, give or take a few (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial aside, they definitely have an edge there, but not by much). Durham, Bristol, St Andrews, Edinburgh are a bit harder to get into than, say Birmingham, and will attract a higher percentage of private school kids. But that said, they are not ''better'' by any significant means, there is no sweeping advantage in going to these than Birmingham in the eyes of employers or in academia. They are all considered excellent.

If further down the line you are thinking of going to Oxbridge for a masters, they will look at your uni grade AND what uni you attended. As long as it is Russell Group (& Bath, St Andrews) you WILL be given priority, whether it be Cardiff or UCL or Durham. Then they place the vast majority of other unis in the second tier bracket, followed by the former polytechnics.

If you get into Birmingham or Sheffield having missed out on Durham by one grade (this happened to one of my friends), don't be disappointed, be proud! Well done - you made it into one of the elite UK universities, welcome to the club.

On a final note, forget media league tables, they are WORTHLESS. University tradition and Russell Group membership is the only serious criteria employers and other Universities care about. NOBODY, and I mean NODBODY in a professional capacity cares about league tables, as they can't possibly capture all the criteria and fair means and diversity to compare universities. Remember, Russell Group membership, tradition, and government commissioned RAE ratings are among the only things that matter.

On another note, Nottingham and Birmingham, to name a few, are working their socks off to try and get students from poorer backgrounds into their unis. Not sure about Duhram, St Andrews, Edinburgh etc, maybe they should be doing more too. Even Cambridge has admitted record numbers of state school kids last year.

It sounds great even you put it like that, but it's like you're almost eroding away at the kind of pure 'credibility' you get from going to a top 6-ish university. So you're telling me going to even any RG, and getting a masters, is enough to have very good prospects? To be specific, would an £85k+ salary be realistically achievable following the level of RG education you're implying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 408
Original post by Wisefire
It sounds great even you put it like that, but it's like you're almost eroding away at the kind of pure 'credibility' you get from going to a top 6-ish university. So you're telling me going to even any RG, and getting a masters, is enough to have very good prospects? To be specific, would an £85k+ salary be realistically achievable following the level of RG education you're implying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is impossible to answer the above question in the way you have put it. Very few (the top 1%) of graduates will get a salary of 85k in their 20s. But what I can say is, as a hiring manager myself, if I saw three CVs from candidates equally matched in terms of experience, but I then glanced at the universities each had attended (Sheffield Hallam, Birmingham, Durham), I would immediately favour the two who went to Birmingham and Durham. But I would not put the candidate from Durham ahead of the one at Birmingham, as both are excellent unis.

In other words, you don't get too many extra brownie points for attending what some people perceive as a slightly stronger uni in Durham than Birmingham. That changes slightly when you bring Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial into the equation, but even still the candidate from Birmingham is right up there with them to land that job. There is no real advantage amongst Russell Group unis that is worth shouting about.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
It is impossible to answer the above question in the way you have put it. Very few (the top 1%) of graduates will get a salary of 85k in their 20s. But what I can say is, as a hiring manager myself, if I saw three CVs from candidates equally matched in terms of experience, but I then glanced at the universities each had attended (Sheffield Hallam, Birmingham, Durham), I would immediately favour the two who went to Birmingham and Durham. But I would not put the candidate from Durham ahead of the one at Birmingham, as both are excellent unis.

I meant more towards early 30s (31-34), and in London. Generally speaking, and with your awareness, do you think that's at least not uncommon amongst the best graduates? Thanks for your reply though; good to get an answer from someone such as yourself then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 410
I meant more towards early 30s (31-34), and in London. Generally speaking, and with your awareness, do you think that's at least not uncommon amongst the best graduates? Thanks for your reply though; good to get an answer from someone such as yourself then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think by 30 to get a salary at 85k plus you need to start thinking about an MBA from a top 10 UK school. MBA rankings funnily enough do matter a lot. But it is different to undergraduate education. E.g. Bradford has a very respected MBA which has developed plenty of CEOs, yet the uni at undergraduate level is not that cherished by the middle class private educated students.

I do edit my answers sometimes, worth noting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well in FO IB or trading some people will earn 85k in their first year, and in their second year that kind of salary is pretty standard.
Reply 412
Original post by Noble.
Well in FO IB or trading some people will earn 85k in their first year, and in their second year that kind of salary is pretty standard.

In investment banking graduates often start at the bottom as Investment Analysts, on 30-35k salary wise. They can top that up through bonuses if they do really well to 100k pretty quickly. But only the best of the best get that far.

Also worth noting Investment Banks fire most of their underperformers within 2 years of starting. It is a cut throat 100 hour working week job.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Noble.

I'm aware, and it goes way beyond a mere 5 figure salary, especially by your 30s. You can be a director by 30, and they probably earn £150k+... That is why I've got to push to get great grades next year to have a chance of getting into the City.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 414
I'm aware, and it goes way beyond a mere 5 figure salary, especially by your 30s. You can be a director by 30, and they probably earn £150k+... That is why I've got to push to get great grades next year to have a chance of getting into the City.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want 85k quickly, you'd be better off doing Medicine or Dentistry and training to be a GP or Dental Surgeon. The money is guaranteed.
Original post by Mansun
I think by 30 to get a salary at 85k plus you need to start thinking about an MBA from a top 10 UK school. MBA rankings funnily enough do matter a lot. But it is different to undergraduate education. E.g. Bradford has a very respected MBA which has developed plenty of CEOs, yet the uni at undergraduate level is not that cherished by the middle class private educated students.

I do edit my answers sometimes, worth noting.

I see. So what would your opinion be on an MBA from Imperial or Said/Oxford's one (I'd go for that, which is £39k, over the £60k one from LBS, which is just ridiculously expensive) versus something like a Masters from Imperial in Investment and Wealth Management, or Finance (£30k)? I don't have the money to pay £60k upfront, but saving £25-40k over 7 or so years shouldn't be impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
In investment banking graduates often start at the bottom as Investment Analysts, on 30-35k salary wise. They can top that up through bonuses if they do really well to 100k pretty quickly. But only the best of the best get that far.

At the banks in the bulge bracket the starting salary is 45k, a few years back the average bonus of the first year analysts at Barcap/Credit Suisse were ~£29k, so there were probably a fair few on 85k. In trading there's usually an even higher variation in bonus.

The second year analysts in the BBs were on average around 80-90k.

http://www.allaboutcareers.com/articles/post/banking-finance-accountancy/investment-banking-analyst-salary-index.htm
Original post by Mansun
If you want 85k quickly, you'd be better off doing Medicine or Dentistry and training to be a GP or Dental Surgeon. The money is guaranteed.

Probably too late now, he would have had to spent this summer volunteering in roles that show he can care for people and actually wants to study medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surprisingly Oxford (but not cambridge)

i guess that makes sense why cambridge is the better university academically
Original post by Mansun
Also worth noting Investment Banks fire most of their underperformers within 2 years of starting. It is a cut throat 100 hour working week job.

Which banks make people work 100 hours in IB? The ones I know about are usually 70-80 hours. Also, generally traders work less and do ~60 hours a week.

Latest

Trending

Trending