The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mansun
Will anyone from your school choose Nottingham? Maybe a plum course such as Medicine, Veterinary Science, Pharmacy, Economics, Law? Manchester has the most number of private school kids, Nottingham, Leeds and Newcastle are all on about level pegging in second.

Be wary of using blanket statements like this. You have to compare like for like- Manchester may have the highest number of private school students but it is also the largest single site university with the most students full stop. A better comparison would be to consider percentages of students who went to a private school. Although still high, I'm fairly certain that Manchester university would not come out top.
From my experience; Newcastle University and Oxford Brookes!
Reply 542
Original post by barristertobe91
Be wary of using blanket statements like this. You have to compare like for like- Manchester may have the highest number of private school students but it is also the largest single site university with the most students full stop. A better comparison would be to consider percentages of students who went to a private school. Although still high, I'm fairly certain that Manchester university would not come out top.

Nottingham pips Manchester and Newcastle, but only by a matter of a few hundred students.
Reply 543
Original post by Mansun
To put the above drivel into perspective, a contestant on the Apprentice, Nicholas De-Lacy, studied Law at degree level and at LLM level at KCL. He was eventually offered a pupillage at one of the most prestigious law chambers in the country. And this was offered after he was fired in the first round of the Apprentice.

KCL is very prestigious for Law, and only Oxbridge graduates would have an advantage over KCL graduates in this field.

Drivel ?

LOL, you have a strange command of the English language.

Has it not occurred to you that as a celebrity he may have been in a favoured position ?

Also we are concerned with overall performance not just for Law ( I never said KCL were bad at anything )

Further I find you a rather angry sort of person that gets irked by someones else's opinion.

Yes, I fancy Durham over KCL, Someone else may do opposite.

So what ? Are you saying that we are not entitled to prefer what we like?
Reply 544
Original post by Mansun
Nottingham = UK Top 10, World Top 75, and for added value top for private school numbers intake. End of story.

Source please ?
Original post by Mansun
To put the above drivel into perspective, a contestant on the Apprentice, Nicholas De-Lacy, studied Law at degree level and at LLM level at KCL. He was eventually offered a pupillage at one of the most prestigious law chambers in the country. And this was offered after he was fired in the first round of the Apprentice.

KCL is very prestigious for Law, and only Oxbridge graduates would have an advantage over KCL graduates in this field.

Haha this made me laugh; this is the most peculiar and flawed reasoning I have ever read. Such a niche, ridiculous and singular example. Again, you need to be cautious when making blanket statements. I hope you're not an aspiring barrister with arguments like that. (Actually, that's a lie, I hope you are; less competition for me!!)

Perhaps Nicholas De-Lacy having been accepted on the Apprentice has set up his own business before? His success on the TV programme would have been something interesting to bring to an interview etc? I am certain these reasons will have helped his pursuit for pupillage far more than his KCL education.

KCL is a good university, but let's not overstate it. It is not at all the case that "only Oxbridge graduates would have an advantage." There are more than a handful of universities that I, and those more qualified than I, would name as better than KCL.
Reply 546
Original post by mrkl
Source please ?

Mmmm no reply, wonder why.

Perhaps I'll reply myself, 2 top 10 lists of state v private school intakes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9438052/University-admissions-Universities-with-the-fewest-state-students.html?frame=2292907

http://tab.co.uk/2014/03/31/revealed-top-ten-unis-for-privately-educated-students/

Can anyone spot Nottingham on any list ? Cause I certainly can't
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 547
Haha this made me laugh; this is the most peculiar and flawed reasoning I have ever read. Such a niche, ridiculous and singular example. Again, you need to be cautious when making blanket statements. I hope you're not an aspiring barrister with arguments like that. (Actually, that's a lie, I hope you are; less competition for me!!)

Perhaps Nicholas De-Lacy having been accepted on the Apprentice has set up his own business before? His success on the TV programme would have been something interesting to bring to an interview etc? I am certain these reasons will have helped his pursuit for pupillage far more than his KCL education.

KCL is a good university, but let's not overstate it. It is not at all the case that "only Oxbridge graduates would have an advantage." There are more than a handful of universities that I, and those more qualified than I, would name as better than KCL.

The fact of the matter is he is a KCL graduate who made it into a top 4 law chamber, after getting 18 rejections post interview for pupillage.

Also, the Apprentice was a real PR disaster for him, he was rude and degrading to his team members infront of Alan Sugar, and was deservedly fired for cocking up in pricing lobster improperly.

He was hired on merit for academic credentials alone, and for attending KCL. A real case study, a real example, and a real reason to go to KCL. Not your fantasy hypothetical bs you have stated above.

Boy, you sound thick for a barrister, if you are one at all. And your cocky attitude makes you sound like a d*ckhead. And that is being really modest.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Novascope
I really don't wanna have to explain it all haha. I told someone already on here that I shouldn't have said it the way I did. In my mind I didn't think I was coming off as big headed, but reading it back I guess it kind of does. I also explained why I think it would be easier for me to go into those uni's if they offered my course because of what I want to study, compared to if I wanted to study something like maths. It's a creative course, and a lot of uni's are more considerate to those who apply for them and get a grade lower or so, because you can't really judge a person's creativity and skill by how well they did in a subject completely irrelevant, if you get what I mean? Never intended to sound like I'm amazing and can get into anywhere haha.

I am slightly curious as to what grades you have or are predicted. As I understand it, Falmouth's offers start from 280 UCAS points. I think it is genuinely fascinating that someone as bright as you has forsaken Oxbridge and other Russell Group universities. I suppose you will have the highest number of UCAS points on your course at Falmouth or at least joint-highest?
Reply 549
Original post by Mansun
The fact of the matter is he is a KCL graduate who made it into a top 4 law chamber, after getting 18 rejections post interview for pupillage.

Also, the Apprentice was a real PR disaster for him, he was rude and degrading to his team members infront of Alan Sugar, and was deservedly fired for cocking up in pricing lobster improperly.

He was hired on merit for academic credentials alone, and for attending KCL. A real case study, a real example, and a real reason to go to KCL. Not your fantasy hypothetical bs you have stated above.

Boy, you sound thick for a barrister, if you are one at all. And your cocky attitude makes you sound like a d*ckhead. And that is being really modest.

Do you always react so offensively because someone disagrees with you ?

If he is an aspiring barrister why would that be less competition for you than if he wasn't? This is poor logic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mansun

Also, the Apprentice was a real PR disaster for him, he was rude and degrading to his team members infront of Alan Sugar, and was deservedly fired for cocking up in pricing lobster properly.

He was hired on merit for academic credentials alone, and for attending KCL. A real case study, a real example, and a real reason to go to KCL. Not your fantasy bs you have stated above.

Boy, you sound thick for a barrister, if you are one at all. And your cocky attitude makes you sound like a d*ckhead.

It was a little tongue-in-cheek but I'm sure that was lost in translation.

Maaaate, you need to quit with the idiotic comments; "He was hired on merit for academic credentials alone, and for attending KCL." Are you in touch with the committee that awarded him pupillage then? I thought not.

It could be a plethora of things; you don't know what else was on his CV (my previous post alludes to two possibilities) and the fact that he got a first, regardless of institution, will have helped. I am not saying that KCL is bad or would have been a hindrance. I'm just saying that you're deluded in claiming that it is the next best thing to Oxbridge (for law or otherwise.)

If you wish to base Nicholas De-Lacy as a "real reason to go to KCL" then be my guest. Any intelligent and astute student would base such a decision on real, tangible facts rather than a one-off example though.

It's also a top 4 *chambers, not "chamber"; atleast I know what I'm talking about when it comes to this, even for someone who sounds "thick for a barrister."

If you hoped to be a barrister maybe call it a day, although I'm sure a career in politics would suit you well given your penchant for twisting and taking "facts" completely out of context!!
Reply 552
Original post by mrkl
Mmmm no reply, wonder why.

Perhaps I'll reply myself, 2 top 10 lists of state v private school intakes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9438052/University-admissions-Universities-with-the-fewest-state-students.html?frame=2292907

http://tab.co.uk/2014/03/31/revealed-top-ten-unis-for-privately-educated-students/

Can anyone spot Nottingham on any list ? Cause I certainly can't

This has been discussed to death in previous posts on this thread. Notts has 29% intake in the 2014 table, just behind Newcastle. The year before Notts had 30.5%, just above Newcastle. By numbers alone, 29% of 22400 total undergraduates gives ~6500 students.

If you do the same sums for the rest, Notts is just ahead of Newcastle and Manchester by a whisker. But who cares? I'm bored of this.
Original post by ElChapo
If he is an aspiring barrister why would that be less competition for you than if he wasn't? This is poor logic

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant that it would be less competition for me because his arguments and reasoning are so poor!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 554
Original post by ElChapo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed on the above, the guy sounds like a cocky d*ckhead if ever there was one.

Anyway, I don't think the TSR is the right place for intellectual debate. It is too full of trolls and more besides. A prospective university student would be better off using other means to inform them of meaningful advice. I'm out of here. Period.
Original post by Mansun
Agreed on the above, the guy sounds like a cocky d*ckhead if ever there was one.

Anyway, I don't think the TSR is the right place for intellectual debate. It is too full of trolls and more besides. A prospective university student would be better off using other means to inform them of meaningful advice. I'm out of here. Period.

Atleast we agree that you don't give meaningful advice :wink: I suggest you loosen up a little and learn that sentences shouldn't start with "and."
Original post by callum_law
I am slightly curious as to what grades you have or are predicted. As I understand it, Falmouth's offers start from 280 UCAS points. I think it is genuinely fascinating that someone as bright as you has forsaken Oxbridge and other Russell Group universities. I suppose you will have the highest number of UCAS points on your course at Falmouth or at least joint-highest?

Wow, I haven't been apart of this thread in ages...

Please read what I've said to other people, I explained what I really meant. It'll take me forever to do that again.

I already stated that Oxbridge don't offer what I want to do, so obviously I can't go there? But I'm going to leave it at that as I don't want to get into something again.
Reply 557
Original post by ElChapo

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what pray tell does this have to do with the thread topic ?
Reply 558
Original post by Mansun
This has been discussed to death in previous posts on this thread. Notts has 29% intake in the 2014 table, just behind Newcastle. The year before Notts had 30.5%, just above Newcastle. By numbers alone, 29% of 22400 total undergraduates gives ~6500 students.

If you do the same sums for the rest, Notts is just ahead of Newcastle and Manchester by a whisker. But who cares? I'm bored of this.

There you go again talking about things bygone.

Forget about them , that was then and this is now.

You made another of your blanket statements without sourcing even when asked.

So I provided 2 credible sources for the board, both of them list the composition of state vs private students at university compiling a table of top 10.

Notts is not there, which debunks your claim that Notss is a top 10 private school uni.

That is the point
Reply 559
Original post by Mansun

Yet another blanket comment. Please justify that.

Why is it not right place for intellectual debate and if not then why do you keep coming back as you do ? your actions and your comments are contradictory

Not only that but when you are challenged to justify your views with sources , further clarification you resort to cheap foul mouthed insults.

That makes a mockery of your claim for Notts being a bastion of " posh " students.

Latest

Trending

Trending