The Student Room Group

Shall I study Law or Psychology at uni?

So I got AACE (A's in psychology and history, a high C in biology that I'll get remarked or I'll just retake a unit and an E in physics) at AS Level and I've always planned on doing psychology; I went to the Cambridge Summer school for psychology and I'm starting my 2 week work experience placement at the psychology department at UCL. However, after attending the summer school, I quickly realised that psychology at university level was something I wouldn't enjoy and that it was just A-Level psychology that I truly loved.

The prospect of studying Law arose when our school held a Careers day and I attended the Law session (by accident!) whereby an ex-student described what Law is like and the careers in Law (she works with a company called Linklaters I think?). However, I do not have any relevant work experience within Law.

I'm planning on applying to QMUL, Bristol, Leeds, Birmingham and Manchester for Law. If I were to apply for Psychology however, I'd apply to KCL, UCL etc.

So now I'm confused as to what I want to study -- I don't know much about Law but I seem to be attracted to it more and more than Psychology.
I'm in similar position about being confused between degrees, just wondering what made you change your mind about psychology at degree level? if you don't mind me asking, As its an option I'm considering.

Your grades look good if you retake for your biology, you'd easily have the grades for law, i'm not sure how much emphasis is put on work expereince but if you show a lot of interest and passion in your personal statement it might not matter :smile:
Original post by ShannonS-J
I'm in similar position about being confused between degrees, just wondering what made you change your mind about psychology at degree level? if you don't mind me asking, As its an option I'm considering.

Your grades look good if you retake for your biology, you'd easily have the grades for law, i'm not sure how much emphasis is put on work expereince but if you show a lot of interest and passion in your personal statement it might not matter :smile:

Well I went to Cambridge for a week and I absolutely loathed it :colondollar: It was so wishy-washy, for example we discussed non-binary genders and why we categorise people based on genitalia. I particularly like the biology side of Psychology (I'd opt out for Neuroscience if I had Chemistry but I don't :mad:) and I realised that I just simply liked A-Level psychology as opposed to degree level psychology. It felt like I had sociology lessons and I did not enjoy it at all. :smile:

What other degree are you debating on?
(edited 9 years ago)
Bump :groovy:
Original post by orphan_black
Well I went to Cambridge for a week and I absolutely loathed it :colondollar: It was so wishy-washy, for example we discussed non-binary genders and why we categorise people based on genitalia. I particularly like the biology side of Psychology (I'd opt out for Neuroscience if I had Chemistry but I don't :mad:) and I realised that I just simply liked A-Level psychology as opposed to degree level psychology. It felt like I had sociology lessons and I did not enjoy it at all. :smile:

What other degree are you debating on?

Ah okayy, hmm yeah I know what you mean I'd like to do zoology now but don't have biology so bit screwed for that really..... I'm not really sure I did Psychology, english,art and theatre at a level then did a year doing a fashion BA but now I've changed my mind about fashion (didn't like the course and lost my passion for it tbh) so looking to re apply for uni 2015, looking at psychology law zoology there the main ones but not sure my subjects would suit law and haven't got biology for zoology so.... :s-smilie: Hmm I might have to have another look over the course overviews and see what I think, I enjoyed A level psychology but I'm a bit worried now :L
Original post by ShannonS-J
Ah okayy, hmm yeah I know what you mean I'd like to do zoology now but don't have biology so bit screwed for that really..... I'm not really sure I did Psychology, english,art and theatre at a level then did a year doing a fashion BA but now I've changed my mind about fashion (didn't like the course and lost my passion for it tbh) so looking to re apply for uni 2015, looking at psychology law zoology there the main ones but not sure my subjects would suit law and haven't got biology for zoology so.... :s-smilie: Hmm I might have to have another look over the course overviews and see what I think, I enjoyed A level psychology but I'm a bit worried now :L

Oh right... Your subjects seem ideal for an art therapist :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by orphan_black
So I got AACE (A's in psychology and history, a high C in biology that I'll get remarked or I'll just retake a unit and an E in physics) at AS Level and I've always planned on doing psychology; I went to the Cambridge Summer school for psychology and I'm starting my 2 week work experience placement at the psychology department at UCL. However, after attending the summer school, I quickly realised that psychology at university level was something I wouldn't enjoy and that it was just A-Level psychology that I truly loved.

The prospect of studying Law arose when our school held a Careers day and I attended the Law session (by accident!) whereby an ex-student described what Law is like and the careers in Law (she works with a company called Linklaters I think?). However, I do not have any relevant work experience within Law.

I'm planning on applying to QMUL, Bristol, Leeds, Birmingham and Manchester for Law. If I were to apply for Psychology however, I'd apply to KCL, UCL etc.

So now I'm confused as to what I want to study -- I don't know much about Law but I seem to be attracted to it more and more than Psychology.

Try and get some work experience within the legal field and see whether practice would really interest you, speakers more often than not if they are charismatic can make any career sound amazing. See if you can get the contact details of the lady who came to speak at your school and ask her some more questions?

Also law at university can be very dry (there's a lot of reading and the vast majority isn't very interesting) try to get some textbooks from your library or something and make sure you would enjoy it

I don't know much about psychology but I'm happy to answer questions about law
Original post by Baronred
Try and get some work experience within the legal field and see whether practice would really interest you, speakers more often than not if they are charismatic can make any career sound amazing. See if you can get the contact details of the lady who came to speak at your school and ask her some more questions?

Also law at university can be very dry (there's a lot of reading and the vast majority isn't very interesting) try to get some textbooks from your library or something and make sure you would enjoy it

I don't know much about psychology but I'm happy to answer questions about law

Thank you for your reply! I'm thinking about doing a conversion course after my 3 years of Psychology? Is a Senior Status LLB a good idea?

Because I feel like for Psychology I'd be a very competitive candidate with my work experience and just generally my awareness and knowledge of how psychology at university is like, as opposed to law where I'd be a weak candidate :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Yes the GDL(Graduate Diploma in Law) is a possibility so that would let you do psychology and then switch to law, but bear in mind it's effectively a 3 year law degree crammed into 1 intensive year but it's certainly do-able

You can make yourself come across as a strong candidate and if you by any chance know any lawyers then a week in a law firm, or even just asking questions would give you some brief insight into the profession but you could also approach it in the sense that you are very interested in the academic side so law fascinates you and you would welcome the opportunity to further your understanding by studying it to degree level. There are always ways of tailoring your PS to suit your actual experiences, but if you're more comfortable going for psychology then definitively do that and aim for a 1st or 2:1 and then pursue the GDL afterwards. Do what you would enjoy, because it's very hard to stay motivated on a course you don't like

Hope that helps, Feel free to ask any more questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending