The Student Room Group

Should I continue to A2?

My AS results were:
A - Art
B - Textile
C - Maths
E - Physics
E - General Studies (which I don't care about)

Before getting these results, I was planning to go to uni and either study architecture or product design engineering.
I'll probably drop physics, and then left with the other a levels. The problem is that some uni don't take Art and Textiles as two separate offers and also some need a science for product design engineering.
I'll be ringing/ emailing the unis I want to go to for these two courses and asking them about their entry requirement and offers.
Should I re think about my career plan and look into other degrees such as Fine Art, Product Design, Architecture Technology,Architectural Design Interior Design?
Also I've been offered a place in college to study Foundation Diploma in Art and Design.
Any suggestions/ advise in what I should do next?
Thank you.
Original post by gloria0816
My AS results were:
A - Art
B - Textile
C - Maths
E - Physics
E - General Studies (which I don't care about)

Before getting these results, I was planning to go to uni and either study architecture or product design engineering.
I'll probably drop physics, and then left with the other a levels. The problem is that some uni don't take Art and Textiles as two separate offers and also some need a science for product design engineering.
I'll be ringing/ emailing the unis I want to go to for these two courses and asking them about their entry requirement and offers.
Should I re think about my career plan and look into other degrees such as Fine Art, Product Design, Architecture Technology,Architectural Design Interior Design?
Also I've been offered a place in college to study Foundation Diploma in Art and Design.
Any suggestions/ advise in what I should do next?
Thank you.

What where you thinking of doing if you didnt carry on to A2?
Reply 2
Original post by Emma:-)
What where you thinking of doing if you didnt carry on to A2?

The Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
The Foundation Diploma in Art and Design

If you arent sure what to do with your a-levels then id do that
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
If you arent sure what to do with your a-levels then id do that

Do you think the chance of me getting into a better uni, from doing the foundation art or to stick doing the a levels?
As if I stay on to do a2 I'm predicted to get at least ABB.
Reply 5
Also If I don't get the grades for uni after doing A2, I'll probably do the Foundaion art. Do you think its best to do it now, or wait after I've done my A2?
Do you think the chance of me getting into a better uni, from doing the foundation art or to stick doing the a levels?
As if I stay on to do a2 I'm predicted to get at least ABB.

Unis usually accept both a-levels and other courses such as diplomas and btecs. They are equivalent in terms of ucas points etc.
Plus if you dont get the grades, then you will go on to do the foundation art course, so you might as well do that now rather than leave it another year and possibly have to still do it anyway. Not saying you wont get the grades, but you know where im coming from.
Also If I don't get the grades for uni after doing A2, I'll probably do the Foundaion art. Do you think its best to do it now, or wait after I've done my A2?

IMO I would continue doing your A-levels to A2, you are predicted good results, and take it from me it would be a lot more difficult to do it later! For example, I haven't yet found a college (your school probably wouldn't let you back for A2 if you left to do the foundation) where you can do art as an A-level.

Also, if your A-levels are incomplete, the only degree you can get into with the foundation diploma in art would be an art degree, so it would severely limit your choices.
I totally agree with Emma:-) in that you can still do the foundation course after A2 if that's what you want. Some unis base offers on grades rather than points, so you need to consider that as well. Carry on the subjects that you are most likely to do well in. If you carry on a subject just to keep your options open for a course that requires it but do badly you may find yourself in the difficult position of not having the grades to get into either that or the other course/s that you are considering.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest