The Student Room Group

Laptop for uni - help find me the right one.

I don't know much about laptops as all of my ones have been passed down from siblings after years of use/ Have no idea what specs to look for so hoping some one can help me!

Going to study Medicine at university in September and looking for a decent, stylish, lightweight and fast laptop. I Will not be using it for gaming/ downloading stuff - just the usual browsing (many tabs at once) and maybe streaming some tv shows.

will probably be carried with me most times..

Not interested in a mac. as prefer Windows 8, leaning towards a touch screen one as I can see it to be pretty handy and new..

price range, anything up to about 900£

so can someone help me choose one from
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops-703-c.html
so I can go in and have a look in store before buying online?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Basit2010
I don't know much about laptops as all of my ones have been passed down from siblings after years of use/ Have no idea what specs to look for so hoping some one can help me!

Going to study Medicine at university in September and looking for a decent, stylish, lightweight and fast laptop. I Will not be using it for gaming/ downloading stuff - just the usual browsing (many tabs at once) and maybe streaming some tv shows.

will probably be carried with me most times..

Not interested in a mac. as prefer Windows 8, leaning towards a touch screen one as I can see it to be pretty handy and new..

price range, anything up to about 900£

so can someone help me choose one from
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops-703-c.html
so I can go in and have a look in store before buying online?

Hi

I had a little look around and the ones on PC world and I prefer this one one Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-15-6-inch-Pavilion-Touchsmart-Notebook/dp/B00HRGTHMC/ref=br_lf_m_1000818953_1_2_img?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&pf_rd_p=517472167&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000818953&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0Z0PAJ0791CAQG6V5GJ8

Take a look and tell me what you think :smile:
Reply 2

That is perfect for one that I'm looking for in terms of company, size and shape. Is the Processor and memory good enough? Is it cheaper on amazon than in store pc world?
Reply 3
Original post by Basit2010
That is perfect for one that I'm looking for in terms of company, size and shape. Is the Processor and memory good enough? Is it cheaper on amazon than in store pc world?

Processor: 2GHz
RAM memory: 8GB

The processor is good and the RAM memory is brilliant. Just in case you didn't know, RAM (random access memory) in a nutshell is temporary memory, the more temporary memory your PC has the quicker it will run. Basically, when you click on something if it is stored on the RAM the PC won't have to travel as far, or spend as long looking for the application you want to open as its stored closer by. The more things that can be stored close by the quicker your PC will run. Also, the more things that can be stored close by at the same time the more applications you can run simultaneously. Just in case you didn't understand that explanation by me (which was probably awful) you can always google it :tongue:

My laptop has 6GB and barely ever experiences lag or anything of the sort, and mines a few years old now. This overall seems like a solid fast running laptop, and if I was looking for a laptop myself this one would definitely make the short list.

Another thing that you will want to look out for is reviews, which I'm sure you already know about. This laptop has A LOT of good reviews. Oh, and, Amazon's prices are usually up there with the best, if you're not sure type the same laptop in on other websites and compare.

If you are still not sure, take a look at this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_36_6?keywords=laptop&sort=review-rank&qid=1408369447&rh=n%3A340831031%2Ck%3Alaptop&rnid=428432031&low-price=400&high-price=&x=12&y=12

There are all of the laptops with the best reviews on Amazon, with a start price of £400. Take a look yourself and you'll find one that best suits you. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending