The Student Room Group

Should I choose A Level English Language, English Literature or Combined English?

I'm starting college in september and I will be doing 3 A Levels.
I have already chosen 2 of them which will be History and Psychology. However I'm really confused about which A Level English I should take. I don't think I'd enjoy English Language too much so I guess at the moment it's between English Literature and the Combined English (Language and Literature together) course.
At uni I would like to do law, particularly at University of Birmingham or Aston University.
I have heard that English Literature is more respected but I was wondering if the combined English is equally respected? Or even English Language?
I want to choose the type of English that will help me get into the unis I have listed above to study law and also help my future as a (hopefully) barrister.

Thank you to everyone who helps me out on this!
Original post by IJustWantBooks
I'm starting college in september and I will be doing 3 A Levels.
I have already chosen 2 of them which will be History and Psychology. However I'm really confused about which A Level English I should take. I don't think I'd enjoy English Language too much so I guess at the moment it's between English Literature and the Combined English (Language and Literature together) course.
At uni I would like to do law, particularly at University of Birmingham or Aston University.
I have heard that English Literature is more respected but I was wondering if the combined English is equally respected? Or even English Language?
I want to choose the type of English that will help me get into the unis I have listed above to study law and also help my future as a (hopefully) barrister.

Thank you to everyone who helps me out on this!

I'm about to go into year 12 so I can't really help in terms of what the subjects are actually like, but according to the Russell Group Informed Choices, English Lit is a facilitating subject compared to English Language or Combined English. However, just because English language is not a facilitating subject, it doesn't mean it isn't respected. It depends on what you feel you would do best in, and which subject you would enjoy most. From your name 'I just want books', you will probably enjoy English Lit more (more reading). If you're in doubt about which subject would be most useful, email Birmingham/Aston and ask them. I did the same for the universities I wanted to go to regarding a history degree. In the meantime you could look at the informed choices booklet (http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf) - there is a lot of advice for all uni courses! Hope this helps a little :smile:
Original post by VickyIsabelle
I'm about to go into year 12 so I can't really help in terms of what the subjects are actually like, but according to the Russell Group Informed Choices, English Lit is a facilitating subject compared to English Language or Combined English. However, just because English language is not a facilitating subject, it doesn't mean it isn't respected. It depends on what you feel you would do best in, and which subject you would enjoy most. From your name 'I just want books', you will probably enjoy English Lit more (more reading). If you're in doubt about which subject would be most useful, email Birmingham/Aston and ask them. I did the same for the universities I wanted to go to regarding a history degree. In the meantime you could look at the informed choices booklet (http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf) - there is a lot of advice for all uni courses! Hope this helps a little :smile:

Thank you so much for your help! I agree with what you say and will send them an email :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Straight lit is more respected than combined and is more interesting than lang. :smile:
Original post by paradoxicalme
Straight lit is more respected than combined and is more interesting than lang. :smile:

Thank you for replying! I'm just worried if lit would be too hard :/
Thank you for replying! I'm just worried if lit would be too hard :/

Straight lit or straight lang, but not combined. Lit is the more traditional for law, but it's better to do the one you'll get the better grade in. Grade trumps subject in this case. Combined is just too bitty. Jack of all trades and master of none, if you get me.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Straight lit or straight lang, but not combined. Lit is the more traditional for law, but it's better to do the one you'll get the better grade in. Grade trumps subject in this case. Combined is just too bitty. Jack of all trades and master of none, if you get me.

I see what you mean thanks for replying! I think I'm going to go with lit :smile:
I see what you mean thanks for replying! I think I'm going to go with lit :smile:

Good call. The lessons I have with my sixth form are the most fun I get all week.

Quick Reply

Latest