The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Do u think it is hard to be a teacher ?? I wanna to be a maths teacher in the future :smile:
Original post by Mutleybm1996
What grades/subjects did you get/do in your GCSE's, A-levels and Degree?

Are you enjoying teaching?

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSE - 7A, 1B, 3C (no A* for me)
A level - 3B, 1C
Degree - First

I won't go into specifics as I wish to remain as anon as possible on TSR.

Original post by rosebud114
Well then, where were you on my time table? :hand: but in all seriousness that is really refreshing to hear! It can be extremely emotionally draining being told your not good enough for anyone, let alone a student.

Not to make any excuses for that teacher but I do need to say that teaching is probably one of the most emotionally draining jobs out there. Whilst a lot of teachers seem horrid, and I'm sure some genuinely are horrid, a lot of them are just stressed out beings. I know I'm a lot more irritable and volatile when the pressure piles on too much and I'm sure the kids just think something like "he's in a mood today" or something like that.

It's not right to take it out on the children, I know, but you have to remember that the kids can do a lot worse and get away with it:

A classic example always being

Student tells teacher to piss off - After school detention
Teacher tells student to piss off - Sacked and perma banned from teaching
Original post by Martie08
What would you do if a student who was normally well behaved and polite started acting up, not doing homework, and seeming out of sorts or even miserable? Would you be lenient, at least at first? Or treat them the same as a "serial offender"?

Calling parents is almost an essential in this case. You can always do the classic "[Jimmy] is usually so polite and always does his homework but recently..." because sometimes it might be that they have had a bereavement or they are depressed in which case I would have to show some leniency. Of course, if they're just being a lazy turd then I have to treat them like anyone else. It's only fair and it's for their benefit in the end.

Original post by Martie08

In relation to that, do you find you quickly form judgements about pupils and their behaviour, and how does that affect how you treat them? Do you find it easy to "turn over a new leaf" every day?

You have to turn over a new leaf with some students as they are just that badly behaved. I don't find this difficult. Some students get a detention off me almost every lesson though because they are either late, haven't done their homework or they swear loudly in my lessons and I have made it clear since the start that this will always result in a lunch time detention. I even follow through with these for the 'good' students to show that I am fair and I mean what I say.
Original post by Pro_crastinator
1. I know you previously said that you do throw in easy questions for the shy ones, but do you accept that there are those few with social anxiety and them speaking infront of the class is like asking a kid with a broken leg to run a mile?

2. Do you think that a person who got a B in GCSE Maths could get a B/A at A-Level, provided that they worked hard obviously?

3. You said earlier you would date a fellow teacher, if you both worked in the same school would you say that you are seeing each other/dating?

EDIT: Also this is officially my favourite AMA

1. I never really pick on students to give answers and always just have hands up so I'm aware that some students have never spoken in front of the class for a whole year. For these students, I will always write in their report that it would be lovely if they could give a contribution in class and I'll say something similar at parents' evening. Ultimately, though, there will always be about 4 or 5 in a class of 30 who will just not speak in front of the class and I accept that.

The only exception is that I might use picking on a student as a behaviour management strategy for example "[Melvin] what was the area of that square we just did?" because I saw Melvin turning around asking Jack about their plans to sneak off to the shop at break to buy some cigs.

2. We do reluctantly accept those with a B at GCSE to do A level maths. I have to say, at my school, it's very rare that they get A/B as hard as that is to believe. Of course, if they work super hard throughout the year then they should get a high grade. In my experience, though, so many of the ones we take with a B (we never accept lower than a B), even from other schools, end up failing completely and getting a U, which looks awful on our record. If they get less than a C in AS level, then we usually discourage them from going further (they can retake AS).

Of course, we have had some work hard from a B at GCSE and end up getting a B at A-level but these are not the majority.

3. I would be open about it with the students, yes, because if you try to be all taboo about it then they'll only wind you up about it more! I might even try the tactic of grossing them out by saying how in love I am with her and how she makes my life worth living etc. to see how they react!

Most teachers are in relationships already though and I'd estimate that more than half the staff are happily married. I always hate it when there's a pretty new teacher, and you speculate for a month or so about whether they're single, and then they go and say something like "... my boyfriend and I..." :mad:

There was this Scottish woman last year who was new and she sounded like Karen Gillan but then she said at the end of the year that she had a fiancé. :frown:

I'm ugly anyway though so I know I have no chance (I'm sure I said that in an earlier post). :tongue:
Original post by cforcoldplay
What do you think of the saying 'those who can't do teach"

Was teaching always your ambition?

What subjects/year groups do you teach?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. It's ridiculous. I won't even entertain that phrase more than that.

2. I had a very inspirational maths teacher who taught me from Year 8 to Year 13 so you could say I've wanted to teach since I was about 12.

3. Maths and I teach Years 7 up to 12.

Original post by yoomi
Do u think it is hard to be a teacher ?? I wanna to be a maths teacher in the future :smile:

I can't think of a more time consuming and stressful job out there. Not for the measly amount that we get paid anyway (doctor might be more stressful but they get paid more than twice as much).
Are you a secondary school teacher in the UK?
Original post by KittyRe-play
Are you a secondary school teacher in the UK?

Yes I am. :smile:
Original post by Autistic Merit
Yes I am. :smile:

So I am in a dilemma right now. Do I have permission to PM you regarding my results please?
Original post by KittyRe-play
So I am in a dilemma right now. Do I have permission to PM you regarding my results please?

You can if you want. :smile:
what university did u go to?

is it difficult taking a dump in school?

what do u think of people who say they 'can't do maths' ?

are there any teachers there who went to Oxford/Cambridge?

what do u hope to do after u finish teaching?
Original post by Fairytail
what university did u go to?

is it difficult taking a dump in school?

what do u think of people who say they 'can't do maths' ?

are there any teachers there who went to Oxford/Cambridge?

what do u hope to do after u finish teaching?

1. I'm not going to say which one. A top 50 university in the UK.

2. No

3. Of course everyone can do some maths but it's true that some people could revise like hell for their GCSE exams and still not manage to get a C.

4. Not that I know of. One of them says "I went to Oxford" but he went to Oxford Brookes which I'm sure is not what you meant.

5. I have no idea. I have considered being a lecturer but I'm not 100% keen on the idea.
This is a first. :angry:

How can I be sure to pass my A-Levels?
Im starting in a week and quite anxious because I know people A* GCSE students failing A-Levels :eek:

Also Im considering a career in Primary Education so how do you get along with everyone? Thank you :tongue:

EDIT: How do you become a good teacher?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Summer Rose
How can I be sure to pass my A-Levels?
Im starting in a week and quite anxious because I know people A* GCSE students failing A-Levels :eek:

Also Im considering a career in Primary Education so how do you get along with everyone? Thank you :tongue:

EDIT: How do you become a good teacher?

There isn't really a secret to passing A-levels. The number one thing I would say you need to do is contact your teachers when you're not sure about something. The ones who fail are usually the ones who don't give it a good go and don't seek teacher's help outside of lesson time. Amazingly, some students don't attend all of their lessons since 6th formers do have the right to leave school premises but some of them do sadly abuse this privilege (I don't want to put them down too much as I was sometimes in McDonald's when I should have been in a 6th form lesson myself back when I was a student).

Again, with being a good teacher I'd say the same thing. Don't be afraid to ask for help as much as you can. Try to get on a SCITT course instead of a university PGCE so that you get more classroom experience.
There isn't really a secret to passing A-levels. The number one thing I would say you need to do is contact your teachers when you're not sure about something. The ones who fail are usually the ones who don't give it a good go and don't seek teacher's help outside of lesson time. Amazingly, some students don't attend all of their lessons since 6th formers do have the right to leave school premises but some of them do sadly abuse this privilege (I don't want to put them down too much as I was sometimes in McDonald's when I should have been in a 6th form lesson myself back when I was a student).

Again, with being a good teacher I'd say the same thing. Don't be afraid to ask for help as much as you can. Try to get on a SCITT course instead of a university PGCE so that you get more classroom experience.

Thank you :smile:
how many pupil's have you spanked this week ?
Original post by the bear
how many pupil's have you spanked this week ?

Well, for a start it's the summer holidays...
Well, for a start it's the summer holidays...

you need to practice so you will be ready for action at the beginning of term
Original post by the bear
you need to practice so you will be ready for action at the beginning of term

Any serious questions?
Autistic Merit which is an interesting name by which to refer to yourself you titled this thread “I’m a teacher ask me anything”. And indeed respondents have taken the opportunity to do just that. However what I have missed in this thread and especially since you are a teacher - is advice through which students can improve. In the thread on GCSE results there are many disappointed students who had clearly wanted to do better.

I am extremely impressed at how serious students in this forum are to improve their grades and support their fellow members. And the common question I have noticed that is asked through the many threads in this forum is often “how can I improve?”

And so the question I would ask is what advice do you have on how a student can improve their performance?
So what do you talk about in the staff room?

Latest