The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VonDoom
Share the motivation.

Honestly, you just need to apply smartly and play to your strengths. Hopefully I'll be one of those applicants with relatively crappy GCSEs who gets in :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Honestly, you just need to apply smartly and play to your strengths. Hopefully I'll be one of those applicants with relatively crappy GCSEs who gets in :tongue:

Me too man :wink: Me too
Reply 3
Define "bad".
Friend had As and Bs, just started as a junior doc. She had mitigating though (Mum died during exams).
Reply 5
Original post by Touche
Define "bad".

less than 2A*s
Reply 6
Honestly mate, stop spamming with the same old crap. I got in with 1A* at GCSE if that will appease you.
Reply 7
8 As and 5 Bs.
Reply 8
Original post by Study
2 C's in English lit/lang
2 A's in double science
A in maths
C in foundation maths(highest you could get)
B history
Credit in some combined Btec ICT/Business course
Distinction in sport btec
A* in citizenship(short course so only half a GCSE)
A in religious studie(short course)

Pretty rubbish grades for a medic.

although these types of threads are made everytime, you have given me hope :redface:
Original post by Blobar
Honestly mate, stop spamming with the same old crap. I got in with 1A* at GCSE if that will appease you.

Hope :smile::smile:. Please write your bible on how you got into your medical school with those grades. It would be nice if you gave name of uni too and what were your a level grades .
Reply 10
Original post by Kadak
Hope :smile::smile:. Please write your bible on how you got into your medical school with those grades. It would be nice if you gave name of uni too and what were your a level grades .

I got into dental school, there is no particular way to get into it, one thing I will say though is doing very well in the UKCAT, I got 747.5 and A*A*A* predictions. I'm sure that compensated for probably less than average GCSEs.

Plymouth, though I got interviewed at Newcastle and Bart's too.
Original post by Blobar
I got into dental school, there is no particular way to get into it, one thing I will say though is doing very well in the UKCAT, I got 747.5 and A*A*A* predictions. I'm sure that compensated for probably less than average GCSEs.

holy **** dude, that's amazing!!
Reply 12
Original post by GCSEmoron
holy **** dude, that's amazing!!

can i ask how you prepared for the UKCAT? You did really well! I am v impressed. :colondollar:

books, tutor, online tutor, websites??

Thanks
Reply 14
Original post by GCSEmoron
can i ask how you prepared for the UKCAT? You did really well! I am v impressed. :colondollar:

books, tutor, online tutor, websites??

Thanks

I'd only recommend medify to help, it's online. Obviously do the official mocks too. Apart from that I didn't find much else helped.
Original post by Blobar
I'd only recommend medify to help, it's online. Obviously do the official mocks too. Apart from that I didn't find much else helped.

how long did you prepare for it if I may ask? :smile:
Reply 16
1 A* (humanities :/)
8 A's
1 B (English language)
Merit in some ICT thing

I didn't see/wasn't told the importance of GCSE's back then (in relation to applying to medicine), I just sat the exams! I remember realising the day before my exam that I didn't know how an English GCSE paper might actually be like.

UKCAT 670ish

+ a lot of luck
Original post by Blobar

Ok Ty
Reply 18
Original post by Whitney997
how long did you prepare for it if I may ask? :smile:

3-4 weeks, about 30 min a day doing practice exercises.
Reply 19
always wanted to do medicine but i got pretty crappy grades especially in English language and literature.

i got;

A - BIOLOGY
A - CHEMISTRY
B - MATHS
B -HISTORY
B - PHYSICS
C- ENGLISH LANGUAGE
C - ENGLISH LITERATURE
C - TEXTILES
E - SPANISH - started learning that in year 10, biggest mistake of my life considering I had been learning french since year 2 :frown::frown:
PASS - COMPUTER USE

I dont know how i got a c in english literature :frown::eek::frown::frown::frown:. i thought i did so good in it i just don't understand:frown:

i was looking at entry requirements for uni's and i just decided i should cancel out cambridge and oxford- in my dreams.

but is there any hope in other good universities... ideas

Latest

Trending

Trending