The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wisefire
Well I'm aiming for A*AA, hopefully A*A*A at my peak. Problem is, I'm going to be doing AS retakes alongside A2s. A-levels would have still been done within the two years, but it would be with AS retakes. Also, my IGCSEs were only 1A* 4A 5B 1C. I'm pretty damn feaful/worried that even if I get A*AA or better next year, I'll have very little chance of getting into Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE/UCL/Warwick. LOL, well Oxbridge/Imperial is outta the question, sure. But what about the other 3 (Warwick, UCL or Imperial)? I know the course that you do at university basically has little significance (that's the case in all things really, aside from banking too), so it's just about the uni brand... Well, what do you think my chances are of getting into ANY top 6 banking target uni, with those 2 major limitations of mine? Which course/s would you say are the least competitive/easiest for me to get in, at a top university. Something like Economics with Economic History at LSE can't be that oversubscribed, and the requirements are only AAB. Hell, even Management at LSE... Again, only AAB. If I get A*AA and STILL don't get in for that course (this is in my gap year/reapplication of course), I'll be very, very depressed. I'd like to avoid that, and just get into one of the top 6... So, what sort of courses do you think should I go for, considering how I only do maths, economics and history. This reply's for everyone in general... Anyone? What would you recommend. Surely if I get A*A*A I won't be rejected from LSE for Economics with Economic History/UCL Economics & ----- etc?

LSE do prefer one sitting/no retakes, sure. But what UCL courses should I consider/pursue, in these circumstances?

To be honest, the more I read about you the more I think you are suited to life at the Big 4. I know someone exactly like you, he's just been promoted to manager at the age of 26 in industry after being out of big 4 for 2 years.. He's on 60-70k now at least.

But more importantly, he's managed to get there by literally not wanting to have a social life, being a slave to his job (he works 12 hours a day whether he needs to or not) admitting he enjoys reading IFRS standards as bedtime reading.
He's a little obsessed with money and status and has managed to work his way up quickly as he has been recognised for his work ethic. You could totally be that guy, if you're not disgusted by accountancy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess how much you need to earn depends on whether you have expensive tastes. I have friends who earn 40k who are always scraping for money at the end of the month and panicking about it and friends on 25% less who have a fat savings account and are content. “Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen ninety-six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.”

Money gives you more options in life, sure, but it also traps you if you up your lifestyle every time you get a pay raise. I've never really wanted a lamborghini, but I want to be in the postion where if I wanted or needed to I could leave my job and the country the next day and know I'd be all right for six months. It's freedom, for me.

I also think that the poster above who mentioned his friend in corporate law exaggerated a little maybe. Even with bonuses I find it near impossible to credit that any associate is earning that in the UK. The highest salary I've ever heard of for someone qualified for three years is about 125k http://www.rollonfriday.com/InsideInfo/CityFirms/tabid/68/Default.aspx (and that is after a legal conversion course, a compulsory vocational year, two years of training contract and then three years of working as a lawyer). Oh, and 10-12 hours a day is absolutely standard. 10 hours is pretty much the minimum. Most lawyers at that level in the very top UK firms are actually earning 80-90k. If you want to make money, go into banking!
Original post by compliance1
This is in Compliance - Starting salaries are mixed as it depends on what experience you have got prior to graduation I started on £40k moved up to £95k in 6 months. If you know the industry and get broad exposure in the long term there aren't many limits to how much you earn. Compliance Officers are up there amongst the highest earning individuals.

Woaaaah :eek:
~30k within 2 years after leaving University, towards the end of my career, ~75k+
Original post by Wisefire
Do you mean corporate law lawyers with 3-5 years of experience/aged <30, earning 80/90k? Or do you mean senior ones? If not 125k for the conversion course > junior ones, how many years of experience would you need to firmly be within 6 figures? I might consider doing a law conversion course to get into corporate law if I fail to get into banking (hopefully having done an economics degree from a top 10 uni, if not banking target), I might consider doing a law conversion course to get into corporate law, instead of finance... I'm quite good/passionate about expressing my opinions; at least, I'm articulate, to an extent.

I'm pretty sure, someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, that it's harder to get into top law jobs than it is banking.

Speaking of how ambitious you are, what did you get in your AS results? (I'm assuming you've just done your AS-Levels).
Original post by J-SP
Both law and investment banking are competitive and difficult to get into.

What would be difficult is pursuing a career in IB and then if you failed easily transitioning into a career in law. Recruiters would question the person's motivation as you couldn't really get two more different careers in the city.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for clarifying. I was always under the impression top law jobs were more competitive than front-office banking (for no real rigorous reason).
Reply 546
Please; all of you so certain you'll be on 50k within 3 years.. I beg of you: come back in a few years and show us your P60 :biggrin:
Reply 547
Well since I aspire to be a journalist/writer I'll probably be looking at a 18k-20k starting salary, which will probably rise up to 24-26k with about five years experience.

And if journalism doesn't work out then I'd be interested in going into politics, which can rise up to 40-50k.
Original post by Grimbo
Well since I aspire to be a journalist/writer I'll probably be looking at a 18k-20k starting salary, which will probably rise up to 24-26k with about five years experience.

And if journalism doesn't work out then I'd be interested in going into politics, which can rise up to 40-50k.

Nice profile picture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue
Please; all of you so certain you'll be on 50k within 3 years.. I beg of you: come back in a few years and show us your P60 :biggrin:

Is 50 within one year good enough? I'm not posting my P60 here though...
Reply 550
Original post by Crazy92

When you post on a student forum about your salary to boost your ego, we know you must have an eenie weenie.
Reply 551
Original post by compliance1
This is in Compliance - Starting salaries are mixed as it depends on what experience you have got prior to graduation I started on £40k moved up to £95k in 6 months. If you know the industry and get broad exposure in the long term there aren't many limits to how much you earn. Compliance Officers are up there amongst the highest earning individuals.

I'm sorry, are you saying you were earning 95k in a compliance role 6 months out of university? Link me to that job - I wants it...
Reply 552
Original post by Crazy92

Sure, why not? You can filter out anything personally identifiable.
Original post by Reue
Sure, why not? You can filter out anything personally identifiable.

Because I can't be bothered to be honest.

I also don't want to disclose any base/bonus salary split.
Original post by M1011
When you post on a student forum about your salary to boost your ego, we know you must have an eenie weenie.

My salary doesn't boost my ego.

Incase you have missed this thread title, it's about salaries. If you don't want to see people posting information regarding this, go to a different thread.

Don't be mad cause you ain't on 50k bro. Ain't cool.
Reply 555
Original post by Crazy92
My salary doesn't boost my ego.

Incase you have missed this thread title, it's about salaries. If you don't want to see people posting information regarding this, go to a different thread.

Don't be mad cause you ain't on 50k bro. Ain't cool.

Oh no look, you did it again! Must be a microphallus.
Veterinary Nursing - 20-25k. It isn't just about money for me so i don't mind!
Original post by M1011
Oh no look, you did it again! Must be a microphallus.

Well at least I can use the excess cash to spend on surgery :biggrin:
I want to earn at least 50k working in neuroscience :colone:
Maybe more :colone:
Reply 559
Original post by Crazy92
Because I can't be bothered to be honest.

I also don't want to disclose any base/bonus salary split.

Chicken.

Reue already has.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending