The Student Room Group

Would you date a transgender person? Poll

Scroll to see replies

Original post by young_guns
I might go for it if I were straight, but a women who has had the surgery to resemble a man would never have fully working parts, and they also can't change some of the dead giveaways (facial structure, hands, hips)

For me, I'll just stick to guys who are naturally that sex/gender

From what I've seen it does tend to be cis gays who are the most transphobic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
From what I've seen it does tend to be cis gays who are the most transphobic

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I said is a matter of biological fact. Why is it that if you aren't willing to go along with this pretence that trans people really do become the sex they want to be, that you're transphobic?
Reply 82
Original post by cole-slaw
Sex is biological, gender is psychological/social.

Sex is determined in 99% of cases by your chromosomes - you are either XX or XY. This never changes. (There are some exceptions of rare combinations such as Klinefelters syndrome, but these don't correspond to incidents of transgenderism or correlate in any way. They are entirely unrelated).

Gender is determined by which particular social identity the person identifies with.

For the majority of people they accept the biological sex they are, and they embrace their gender role to a greater or lesser extent.

However a small number of people find themselves identifying with the other gender role. These are transgendered people.

In extreme cases, this proves very distressing for them psychologically, and in some cases this distress can be mitigated to some extent via sex realignment surgery.

However, this does not alter their fundamental underlying biological sex, and they will never be able to reproduce successfully as a person of their preferred gender.

The easiest way to accurate describe trans people is using the abbreviation SMGF or SFGM (sex male gender female). Some people also choose to identify with no particular gender, they would be SMGN (neutral).

That makes sense, thanks.
Original post by holocene
A fully transitioned trans woman has the sex and gender identity of a woman. She has the biological and anatomical characteristics of a woman. So she is a woman..

I'm sorry, but this is simply incorrect. Sex is determined by your sex chromosomes, not your anatomical topology. If you have XY chromosomes you are a male, and this never changes, no matter how many operations you have.
Sex is biological, gender is psychological/social.

Sex is determined in 99% of cases by your chromosomes - you are either XX or XY. This never changes. (There are some exceptions of rare combinations such as Klinefelters syndrome, but these don't correspond to incidents of transgenderism or correlate in any way. They are entirely unrelated).

Gender is determined by which particular social identity the person identifies with.

For the majority of people they accept the biological sex they are, and they embrace their gender role to a greater or lesser extent.

However a small number of people find themselves identifying with the other gender role. These are transgendered people.

In extreme cases, this proves very distressing for them psychologically, and in some cases this distress can be mitigated to some extent via sex realignment surgery.

However, this does not alter their fundamental underlying biological sex, and they will never be able to reproduce successfully as a person of their preferred gender.

The easiest way to accurate describe trans people is using the abbreviation SMGF or SFGM (sex male gender female). Some people also choose to identify with no particular gender, they would be SMGN (neutral).

You realise this is all highly subjective, and not necessarily factual? What sex 'is' is a fraught and divisive subject, and you're posting the fairly extreme version of one side of the debate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_distinction#Criticism_of_the_.22sex_difference.22_vs._.22gender_difference.22_distinction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_distinction#Feminism
Your opinion has been duly ignored. I don't think it's particularly helpful to go around policing "minor offense" anywhere you can find it and trying to berate someone for it.

Minor cases of bigotry are, to my mind, pretty much always worth challenging. Ok so most of the people on this thread aren't openly transphobic, but a lot of them, yourself included, are still happily spouting views that other people can and will feel offended and intimidated by. The more people in a society feel it's ok to be intolerant to minorities, and the more other people accept that, the ****tier that society will be. I am therefore taking it upon myself to yes, berate you specifically for a minor case of being intolerant. If you have a think about it then maybe at some point you'll change your mind and realise we'd all be a lot happier if we respected each other's harmless sexual and gender preferences. Some people are just bigots who are beyond saving. Isn't it nice to be singled out as someone who hasn't passed the point of no return? :h:
What I said is a matter of biological fact. Why is it that if you aren't willing to go along with this pretence that trans people really do become the sex they want to be, that you're transphobic?

You know you can just admit you're transphobic? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry, but this is simply incorrect. Sex is determined by your sex chromosomes, not your anatomical topology. If you have XY chromosomes you are a male, and this never changes, no matter how many operations you have.

Read my post above - this is simply your opinion, and not fact.

Would you care to comment on the rest of my post? The part you quoted was mostly a correction/aside.
You know you can just admit you're transphobic? :smile:

Care to point out exactly what I said that's transphobic? This should be good
Read my post above - this is simply your opinion, and not fact.

Err, it's a fact. No sex change can change your chromosomes
Care to point out exactly what I said that's transphobic? This should be good

That they are men dressing up as women or girls pretending to be guys?
Saying its a pretence that they become the sex they want to be :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilyb96
So therefore your answer to the original question should be yes? :wink:

Not really, the amount of extreme scrutiny I would undertake...no genuinely attractive person would be willing to put up with.
Err, it's a fact. No sex change can change your chromosomes

It's not a fact that sex=chromosomes. That's very much an opinion.
You realise this is all highly subjective, and not necessarily factual? What sex 'is' is a fraught and divisive subject, and you're posting the fairly extreme version of one side of the debate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_distinction#Criticism_of_the_.22sex_difference.22_vs._.22gender_difference.22_distinction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_distinction#Feminism

It is not subjective, and their is no debate. It is a simple, straightforward biological definition defined on the chromosomal level. Humans are one amongst many species of lifeform than reproduce sexually, this means the population is divided into two distinct subgroups, each with a specific set of chromosomes. In order for reproduction to occur, one gamete from each subgroup must be combined.

We call these two subgroups "male" and "female".

Thanks for linking to some wiki pages I have previously edited though, very helpful.

Saying its a pretence that they become the sex they want to be :smile:

It is. Are you really trying to say that a woman who has a "sex change" has actually become a man? Because if that occurred, then as a class of individuals some of these women would be able to produce semen, they would have real penises, they would have a body type that's like a man

Not all men can produce semen, but most can. No transman will ever produce semen. There is clearly a distinction there
It is. Are you really trying to say that a woman who has a "sex change" has actually become a man? Because if that occurred, then as a class of individuals some of these women would be able to produce semen, they would have real penises, they would have a body type that's like a man

Not all men can produce semen, but most can. No transman will ever produce semen. There is clearly a distinction there

You have a very narrow definition of what being a man is. So to be a man you have to have a very specific body type and produce semen? There are cis men who have problems with reproduction, does that make them not a man?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is not subjective, and their is no debate. It is a simple, straightforward biological definition defined on the chromosomal level. Humans are one amongst many species of lifeform than reproduce sexually, this means the population is divided into two distinct subgroups, each with a specific set of chromosomes. In order for reproduction to occur, one gamete from each subgroup must be combined.

We call these two subgroups "male" and "female".

Thanks for linking to some wiki pages I have previously edited though, very helpful.

Sorry, but saying "there is no debate" doesn't actually make the fact that there is a lot of debate go away.

The fact that the term 'sex reassignment surgery" exists in itself shows that what you're saying isn't universally accepted fact.

Additionally, the field of biology doesn't have exclusive ownership of the definition of 'sex'. Social theory and philosophy are equally valid ways of defining it, and a lot of the debate there entirely contradicts you. I don't use a biological definition of sex, so I simply don't define it in the way that you do. Which is fine, of course, because it's subjective.

Anyone can edit wikipedia pages - slightly worrying that someone is editing that page with apparently no knowledge of, like, 60% of it.
You have a very narrow definition of what being a man is. So to be a man you have to have a very specific body type and produce semen? There are cis men who have problems with reproduction, does that make them not a man?

It's easier to look at the chromosomes; if you were born XX, then you will never be a man.
It's easier to look at the chromosomes; if you were born XX, then you will never be a man.

As much as I'd love to explain to you how sex is a lot more complex than just chromosomes, I have to go to work now. Goodbye :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is a strong no no. Not even going to consider it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending