The Student Room Group

Most repped members on The Student Room: Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
ffs stop repping me you eejits I'm going higher up the wall of shame :grumble:

:innocent:

Wait... did I just fall for reverse psychology?!
So basically this is a competition to reward the most "prolific contributors" to the website; so the spam cliques and sarcastic bastards.

What about the people that get a very small number of reps for being consistently helpful in the advice and academic forums? I'm on a tablet ATM so CBA digging at where the top 10 are posting, but I'd bet half of them aren't posting anything helpful, which is what TSR is supposed to be about.
Original post by Mad Vlad
So basically this is a competition to reward the most "prolific contributors" to the website; so the spam cliques and sarcastic bastards.

What about the people that get a very small number of reps for being consistently helpful in the advice and academic forums? I'm on a tablet ATM so CBA digging at where the top 10 are posting, but I'd bet half of them aren't posting anything helpful, which is what TSR is supposed to be about.

I know about the sarcastic bastards, but what are spam cliques?
Original post by Arkasia
I know about the sarcastic bastards, but what are spam cliques?

Cliques consisting of those who contribute nothing but spam perhaps Watson. :holmes:
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Cliques consisting of those who contribute nothing but spam perhaps Watson. :holmes:

Hilarious :rolleyes: But I haven't seen any cliques who just spam...care to name and shame?
Original post by Arkasia
Hilarious :rolleyes: But I haven't seen any cliques who just spam...care to name and shame?

Chat seems to have become just that - things like the Sleep is for the weak thread in particular...

I don't think that this competition is necessarily a good idea: it could potentially work to encourage more sensible and useful contributions in advice and academic forums, but it seems more likely that it will encourage posters to make an unhelpful joke where a poster is looking for help (seems fairly common when I've looked in relationships and health), and quickly garner reps before it can be taken down - unless you've got a strategy to combat that sort of behaviour?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Chat seems to have become just that - things like the Sleep is for the weak thread in particular...

I don't think that this competition is necessarily a good idea: it could potentially work to encourage more sensible and useful contributions in advice and academic forums, but it seems more likely that it will encourage posters to make an unhelpful joke where a poster is looking for help (seems fairly common when I've looked in relationships and health), and quickly garner reps before it can be taken down - unless you've got a strategy to combat that sort of behaviour?

Oh, so things like that, CTAM, Single people, How Popular are you etc? Makes sense.
Original post by Arkasia

Groups of people who spam don't tend to be a group with the sole intention of spamming. Such cliques are usually formed because people were prolific spammers anyway and recognize each other in Chat threads. I can't speak for Vlad, but those who tend to post solely in Chat with hundreds/thousands of replies in there yet have very little (less than let's say 100) posts dotted about round the rest of the site would probably fit the category.

Anyway, the more often someone posts in Chat, whether it's complete ****e or not tends to get noticed moreso than elsewhere. That in turn leads to that person getting more rep than if they posted elsewhere, usually from those who know who they are/post solely in Chat themselves. As you can see, it becomes a vicious circles of bastards accumulating rep.

I couldn't name or shame people because these style of users tend to go as quickly out of fashion as the latest boy band or disappear as rapidly as a small firework. Now I'm not a mod, I have no need to recognize usernames, certainly not of those who do nothing but contribute spam :wink:

This turned into a much longer post than anticipated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Groups of people who spam don't tend to be a group with the sole intention of spamming. Such cliques are usually formed because people were prolific spammers anyway and recognize each other in Chat threads. I can't speak for Vlad, but those who tend to post solely in Chat with hundreds/thousands of replies in there yet have very little (less than let's say 100) posts dotted about round the rest of the site would probably fit the category.

Anyway, the more often someone posts in Chat, whether it's complete ****e or not tends to get noticed moreso than elsewhere. That in turn leads to that person getting more rep than if they posted elsewhere, usually from those who know who they are/post solely in Chat themselves. As you can see, it becomes a vicious circles of bastards accumulating rep.

I couldn't name or shame people because these style of users tend to go as quickly out of fashion as the latest boy band or disappear as rapidly as a small firework. Now I'm not, I have no need to recognize usernames, certainly not of those who do nothing but contribute spam :wink:

This turned into a much longer post than anticipated.

Good point, well explained.

agreed, this competition should have excluded the chat forum and other forums and focus on academic help specific posts cause most of the times those forums are dry and it takes ages for a response which isn't good if your a student forum.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
:innocent:

Wait... did I just fall for reverse psychology?!

Hah I deliberately sent it to people who had already repped me, thinking nobody else would read it :emo:

Let me try to reverse it.

PLEASE GIEF REP ALL xoxo
Original post by AzY-
agreed, this competition should have excluded the chat forum and other forums and focus on academic help specific posts cause most of the times those forums are dry and it takes ages for a response which isn't good if your a student forum.

I can't agree with this more and have always thought we needed a way to differentiate between posts in each section. A rep in maths is woth 1000x chat reps.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Hah I deliberately sent it to people who had already repped me, thinking nobody else would read it :emo:

Let me try to reverse it.

PLEASE GIEF REP ALL xoxo

I can't agree with this more and have always thought we needed a way to differentiate between posts in each section. A rep in maths is woth 1000x chat reps.

exactly lol, the main draw to this forum is academic help, general chat other forums has this beat by a longshot, the tsr team should be focusing on enhancing the experience for relevant student discussion
Thank you :smile:X.
Thank you X.

PRSOM. I was going to say pretty much this. There are many people who go out of their way to answer questions in the study, university and advice forums who get diddly squat for their efforts. On those rare occasions where helpful posts are acknowledged and repped, it nearly always counts for nothing anyway because new users don't have rep power.

I'm not complaining, if I cared about rep then I'd post lots of memes and witticisms in the Chat thread, but I dislike this table. It seems to be rewarding the people who contribute the least to TSR.

PRSOM

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you win for first place?
A competition for Rep whoring.
Original post by Samual
There are many people who go out of their way to answer questions in the study, university and advice forums who get diddly squat for their efforts. On those rare occasions where helpful posts are acknowledged and repped, it nearly always counts for nothing anyway because new users don't have rep power.

Original post by Andy98
PRSOM

What about the people that get a very small number of reps for being consistently helpful in the advice and academic forums?

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
It seems more likely that it will encourage posters to make an unhelpful joke where a poster is looking for help (seems fairly common when I've looked in relationships and health), and quickly garner reps before it can be taken down - unless you've got a strategy to combat that sort of behaviour?

Original post by AzY-
exactly lol, the main draw to this forum is academic help, general chat other forums has this beat by a longshot, the tsr team should be focusing on enhancing the experience for relevant student discussion

Lots of thoughts here - thanks for taking the time to post about this competition. Particularly interested in the idea of limiting the rep count to study help/educational forums - that could be something we try after this month.
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
What do you win for first place?

We'll double the rep points the winner received in November. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest