The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cath_y
According to this page - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios , SGUL interviewed 479 applicants during 2013 entry cycle and gave out 186 offers. I'm not sure how true that is now though :smile:

479 is really low if that's true, does that mean only 479 people met all the academic and UKCAT requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 741
Original post by Cath_y
Was looking through several FOI requests for SGUL and the number of applicants called for interviews never exceeded 500 for the past few years if I recall correctly. Not sure what that means though, surely more than 500 would've met the cut off?

Im sure majority of the 1000 would have met the cut off as it isnt exactly the highest requirements, tbh I'm glad that many people are getting interviewed means much less competition when it comes to securing the offer itself.
Original post by Rishy
Im sure majority of the 1000 would have met the cut off as it isnt exactly the highest requirements, tbh I'm glad that many people are getting interviewed means much less competition when it comes to securing the offer itself.

So it isn't true that if you meet ukcat and academic cut off you get interview? Maybe that's how they calculate ukcat cut off then, so that they don't need to interview too many?
I doubt that the majority of people would have met the cut off...I know 4 people who've applied to SGUL his year and 2 of us met it and 2 people didn't (I know this isn't representative)

The mean score is 2505 nationally and as SGUL cut off is 2550 it makes sense that around half (maybe a bit less) didn't meet it. After all, all those people with scores less then 2550 did apply somewhere? Here's to keeping my hopes up with a score of 2590!
I just hope that they don't rank everyone according to their UKCAT for an interview invite!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The low cut off means the interviews to offer ratio is higher, so that's bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 746
Original post by Cath_y
I agree, but I doubt they would interview >500 applicants anyway. Also ratio for 2013 was 1 : 2.6 and imo it's still pretty high compared to some other unis

Yeah its a very good ratio, I'm surprised more people dont apply to St Georges as it proves to be a very safe option.
Original post by Rishy
Yeah its a very good ratio, I'm surprised more people dont apply to St Georges as it proves to be a very safe option.

Actually its not a good ratio, other universities have it much lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 748
Original post by Cath_y
For every 10 people interviewed, around 4 gets an offer - this is amongst one of the lowest rate of offers and is the same as Oxford. I think it's because SGUL interviews quite a lot of people but have less places - which isn't good new for us :s-smilie:

Yeah I agree, hopefully things turn out well dont want to take another gap year :P
Original post by ryanb97
What was the Interview process like? I heard a lot of people on the waiting list last year got offers (I'm not 100% sure in this though) do you know if it happens for 2013 entry as well?

Interviews are too bad.
A huge issue is with over preparing.
Doing some light reading would benefit you then overdoing it.
Read up on ethical issues, current research and perhaps something unique about St. G so that you can quote it in your interview.
A vast majority of people on the waiting list were given in offer from what I gathered online and in the uni itself.
If you want to know the statistics you can always contact St. G through https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/
I'm sure the trend would continue on into 2015 entry. Good luck :smile:
Original post by beansontoast92
Hey, how does SGUL decide who to give offer to after interview? Is it purely dependent on the interview score?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Post-interview the offers are placed primarily on Interview score. If you are lucky enough to receive an offer that's great.
However if not you either get rejected or be put on the waiting list. That too is determined by the interview score.
But if you do get on the waiting list you are ranked according to UKCAT score.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Layontheland
Post-interview the offers are placed primarily on Interview score. If you are lucky enough to receive an offer that's great.
However if not you either get rejected or be put on the waiting list. That too is determined by the interview score.
But if you do get on the waiting list you are ranked according to UKCAT score.

Hope this helps :smile:

Ok thanks for your help:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interviews are too bad.
Read up on ethical issues, current research and perhaps something unique about St. G so that you can quote it in your interview.
A vast majority of people on the waiting list were given in offer from what I gathered online and in the uni itself.
If you want to know the statistics you can always contact St. G through https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/

Did u mean to say that the interview is not too bad (in the first line)?! Or is it really bad lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beansontoast92
Did u mean to say that the interview is not too bad (in the first line)?! Or is it really bad lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry typing error.
The interview's are not too bad.
It's only the style of the interview (MMI) that might throw a few people off. Most people actually say they enjoyed their interview.
It's definitely much more proactive then your standard interviews.
Sorry typing error.
The interview's are not too bad.
It's only the style of the interview (MMI) that might throw a few people off. Most people actually say they enjoyed their interview.
It's definitely much more proactive then your standard interviews.

Ahaha, that's good to hear!! Im just hoping for the best now:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey there,

I'm an international applicant applying from Canada to the International Medicine Program. Does anyone know if interviews for this program or even the A100 program are given out later to international applicants?

Thanks,
Interviews are too bad.

Hey!

What are the questions at the individual stations like from your experience and are there any group tasks?

Many thanks! :smile:
hearing that some people have rejections is scary - did they simply just not meet the academic/ukcat cut-offs or was there other reason? ie not in the top 600?
Original post by blissfully
hearing that some people have rejections is scary - did they simply just not meet the academic/ukcat cut-offs or was there other reason? ie not in the top 600?

People have rejections??!
Original post by georgiahinch
People have rejections??!

yeah someone earlier on the thread was saying how people they knew had rejections

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending