The Student Room Group

Best way to revise for English GCSE?

I find most subjects such as science, business, maths easy to make notes or revision cards and do practise questions
but I don't really know how to revise for my english mocks that are coming up, or my gcse next year..

Ideas?

Also, has anyone ever used the York notes books to revise? Is it worth it?
Reply 1
I just read over my notes again, personally I don't think there's that much revision that can be done for English. Have your teachers given you any practise questions? do those and have your teacher mark them.
Reply 2
Original post by laur8
I just read over my notes again, personally I don't think there's that much revision that can be done for English. Have your teachers given you any practise questions? do those and have your teacher mark them.

Yes, we get given 30 or 40 mark essay questions on the books we're studying but I don't really find that helpful, I don't think i'd be able to write a a* grade one in exam conditions
Reply 3
I didn't revise for English lul.
Watched OMAM and The Crucible 2 weeks before the exam.
For English Language, i just used PEE.

But obviously, you should not do that :biggrin:
Hmm, you should watch MrBruffs YT videos, they help a lot.
Make sure you know how to answer the question, and what to look for.
Learn some sophisticated language, so instead of using boring, dull words, use something better! :3
PEE your paragraphs!
Hmm, make sure you answer a load of past paper questions because timing is a problem for most. When you know how to answer the question, and what the examiner wants, you'll ace this. D
Don't waffle :3
Make your teacher mark your Paper paper answers, and learn from your mistakes!
Don't repeat yourself.

Relax :biggrin:

(That was probably not helpful, but oh wells) :3
Reply 4
Original post by Dinaa
I didn't revise for English lul.
Watched OMAM and The Crucible 2 weeks before the exam.
For English Language, i just used PEE.

But obviously, you should not do that :biggrin:
Hmm, you should watch MrBruffs YT videos, they help a lot.
Make sure you know how to answer the question, and what to look for.
Learn some sophisticated language, so instead of using boring, dull words, use something better! :3
PEE your paragraphs!
Hmm, make sure you answer a load of past paper questions because timing is a problem for most. When you know how to answer the question, and what the examiner wants, you'll ace this. D
Don't waffle :3
Make your teacher mark your Paper paper answers, and learn from your mistakes!
Don't repeat yourself.

Relax :biggrin:

(That was probably not helpful, but oh wells) :3

It was helpful! Thank you
Original post by froa98
I find most subjects such as science, business, maths easy to make notes or revision cards and do practise questions
but I don't really know how to revise for my english mocks that are coming up, or my gcse next year..

Ideas?

Also, has anyone ever used the York notes books to revise? Is it worth it?

What I did...
Watched English Youtube videos like tutorials of writing paragraphs and stuff.
Or just read your book and summarise it.
I got A* in English Literature and English Language GCSE.
Main thing is make sure you are completely aware that they could ask anything! (particularly in english lit)
Main very good notes and just read through/add to them thoughout.

I didn't have a revision text book for English, just used my notes alongside watching Youtube videos of people who helped. Mr Bruff is very good.

For english lit, make sure you know ALL your texts very well, so you can write about any of them depending the question.
Hi

I have done gcse english 3 times and at every attempt i have failed now i am at college and i am retaking it and failed and now i am doing it again. I am so worried if i do not pass this year then what if uni does not take me in for nursing or midwifery. I am doing it this year and the exams are at may i am so stuck i done all of the past papers on cie i gcse english web. but i still think it is not enough how do i get a c or above in the real exam do you have any tips of how i can answer the questions in real exam and what i need to keep in mind and how to revise at home. By the way when i done it at school i ended with grade D and when i did it at college my grade slipped to a E do not know how that happened even though school exam was harder.

Thanks
I think the best way to revise for English is to:
1) write lots of practice essays - start by doing them untimed and do this until you get to what you consider a good mark. When you've got a couple good marks in untimed essays, try to replicate this under exam conditions. Since they are now times they'll probably get worse so just do them over and over and they will improve.
2) READ!!! Reading anything and everything really helps develop your own writing , reading and analytical skills.
3) know your texts inside out. Read them, watch them - even see the plays. You can never do enough reading of the text.
4) set targets. After every piece of work look at what you did good and bad an highlight three things you want to continue to do week in your next essay and three things you should improve. Be specific with your quotes - don't just say "improve essay", try and be as specific as possible.
I think this works well: I got 397/400 on English language and 194/200 in English lit so it does work!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest