The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

unconditional... but still not sure

i received an unconditional offer for Law on Friday at Bournemouth and i was ecstatic because i LOVE bournemouth.... However, i have had a conditional offer from Southampton (a Russell group).... which is best for law, does anyone know? Even though Bmouth offers a year in industry, is a Russell Group status worth it?

please help!!!!!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yasminkarabasic
Even though Bmouth offers a year in industry, is a Russell Group status worth it?

Yes. Go to Southampton.
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Original post by UpInTheMorning
Yes. Go to Southampton.

Any particular reason for this? :smile:
I'm at Bournemouth and it's amazing and has a really friendly atmosphere!
Any particular reason for this? :smile:

Job prospects, the course will be of higher standard, you will generally have a better time at Southampton.

At least that's just my opinion.
i received an unconditional offer for Law on Friday at Bournemouth and i was ecstatic because i LOVE bournemouth.... However, i have had a conditional offer from Southampton (a Russell group).... which is best for law, does anyone know? Even though Bmouth offers a year in industry, is a Russell Group status worth it?

please help!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion Southampton is a better university, but it's important to consider you might not get the grades required for it on results day, where as if you firm Bournemouth then you'll definitely get in.
Original post by 2007PSanHa
I'm at Bournemouth and it's amazing and has a really friendly atmosphere!

Do you know anyone who studies law? I absolutely love it as a place, but i need to think about the course and what it offers me
Original post by Buxtonwater
In my opinion Southampton is a better university, but it's important to consider you might not get the grades required for it on results day, where as if you firm Bournemouth then you'll definitely get in.

Could always just go with Soton as firm and Bournemouth as insurance.

what does that mean? does it mean i could still pick bournemouth even if i get into southampton... or does it mean i have to go to southampton if i get in.... .

the thing i am most undecided about is what the course will offer me, because I prefer bournemouth as a place to live

Yes, you could do that but, surely if you made it your insurance choice the offer would no longer be unconditional? It's up to you anyway, good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Job prospects, the course will be of higher standard, you will generally have a better time at Southampton.

At least that's just my opinion.

will the job prospects at soton be better even if theres a year in industry in bmouth?
Original post by Buxtonwater
Yes, you could do that but you would lose surely if you put it as insurance it wont be unconditional? It's up to you anyway, good luck.

thank you :frown: decisions decisions
It's not about which university you go to, it's all about the degree you get, if you get a 2.1 from Southampton and a 1st from Bournemouth, clearly employers will prefer the 1st.
However saying that, Southampton uni are in the top 20 (I think) and it can get you far, if you are able to.
Think of it both ways- If you know you've got a place at Bournemouth it doesn't really matter what grades you get for your A2, but with Southampton it does- Base your decision on location, university fees, loans.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 13
For law, it's important to go to a well respected university- at least my mum would say that and she's been a solicitor/is now a judge.
Original post by andrewm12012
It's not about which university you go to, it's all about the degree you get, if you get a 2.1 from Southampton and a 1st from Bournemouth, clearly employers will prefer the 1st.
However saying that, Southampton uni are in the top 20 (I think) and it can get you far, if you are able to.
Think of it both ways- If you know you've got a place at Bournemouth it doesn't really matter what grades you get for your A2, but with Southampton it does- Base your decision on location, university fees, loans.
Hope this helps :smile:

thank you, that is helpful. I am so undecided. Thank you very much
Original post by andrewm12012

This is, to use a technical term, ****ing *******s. A Southampton 2:1 >> a Bournemouth 1st in reputation terms.

Ultimately though, go wherever you will be happiest.
Original post by falling
For law, it's important to go to a well respected university- at least my mum would say that and she's been a solicitor/is now a judge.

so you think southampton over bournemouth?
all i care about, is good job prospects afterwards, do you guys not think that the placement year in bmouth will provide me with that?
Someone from my tutor group a while back does law here but I haven't really spoken to her. I think she's enjoying it though.
Do you know anyone who studies law? I absolutely love it as a place, but i need to think about the course and what it offers me
Reply 19
so you think southampton over bournemouth?

Are you wanting to practice law? If you are then Southampton will have greater job prospects. Although admittedly, I don't know much about law degrees/the bar exam etc, so have look into law firms/target uni's and do your research to see if the year in industry will be worthwhile, though again, my mum would say law is one of those degrees where university reputation is important if you're wanting to practice law (as opposed to studying it because it's a good degree that will open a lot of other doors for you).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending