The Student Room Group

Who is smarter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zeetingman
Just because we have nothing to revise, it doesn't give you an excuse to reply to something that you have already replied to :tongue:

I was just saying.
i did standard grades not GSCE's so wont comment too much on individual subjects but seriously
Me and my friends were all at the top end of our subjects and there was a fair amount of competition between us and even more so during our Highers and even more now that we are all doing advanced highers, highers
while we all enjoy ribbing each other about test results and winding each other up about grades at the end of the day we don't really care we just do it for the sake of winding each other up because we are friends and thats what we do

conversely what you are doing behind this persons back (not even your friend) is just wrong and an example of someone relying on others to validate their own self worth.
if you feel that what you did was good for you then thats good
if you think you should have done better then you now know what you slipped up on/ what to revise for your final exam to get a better grade

don't base your own opinion of your own results on the results of others
and really i think you should idolize this other guy as he clearly worked hard to improve his grades (for himself not for what anyone else might think of him)
Grades don't define intelligence.
Original post by Lochender
i did standard grades not GSCE's so wont comment too much on individual subjects but seriously
Me and my friends were all at the top end of our subjects and there was a fair amount of competition between us and even more so during our Highers and even more now that we are all doing advanced highers, highers
while we all enjoy ribbing each other about test results and winding each other up about grades at the end of the day we don't really care we just do it for the sake of winding each other up because we are friends and thats what we do

conversely what you are doing behind this persons back (not even your friend) is just wrong and an example of someone relying on others to validate their own self worth.
if you feel that what you did was good for you then thats good
if you think you should have done better then you now know what you slipped up on/ what to revise for your final exam to get a better grade

don't base your own opinion of your own results on the results of others
and really i think you should idolize this other guy as he clearly worked hard to improve his grades (for himself not for what anyone else might think of him)

To begin with the guy and I are not friends. We just talk from time to time. Here is one fact about him, he isn't smart. Since he has been in top set he has been acting really cocky. In addition there are about 30 other people who are in middle set who are smarter than him. I'm not the only one who is angry at this guy being in top set. But we'll just have to wait and see. We are getting our full results and new sets next week. My plans are that he drops a set and he cries boy he will cry. I know that he will drop, from personal experience I stayed in top set twice. Do you know why?
Because I thought I was smarter than everybody else. That is what is happening to him now. Let me tell you another thing, ive worked way harder than him. Recently my name appeared on the newsletter because I was frequently asking my teachers for help. Ive never seen this guy ask for help, he flukes his way through. Every time I see him I feel like the school is saying "Yeah, he is smarter than you because he is in a higher set", but that clearly isn't the case when we compare our grades. I'm trying to move on but it's very hard to accept that he is apparently "smarter" than me.
Sorry but he hasn't achieved anything. Ive said this many times and i'm going to have to say it again.
Firstly, he fluked his way into top set English. Back in KS3 the highest level he could attain was probably a 6c or a 6b. I got a 7c back in KS3. Secondly, again in core science the highest he probably achieved was a C, the highest ive ever acheieved is a B+, I did once get an A- but it was on a mini progress checker test. Thirdly, we both do different humanties but i'm pretty sure i'd still get higher than him even if I did his humanity. Finally religious studies the highest he has probably got is a B+. The highest ive ever got is an A-. Don't say B+ and A- are the same they're not. In a real GCSE the paper would just say A or B. I think the reason why he is in a higher set than me is because he got higher grades on rubbish subjects such as Drama, Art and Music which I did poorly in, in KS3 or course.

Drama, Music and Art are not rubbish. Every subject is unique in its own way.
Original post by German123
Drama, Music and Art are not rubbish. Every subject is unique in its own way.

Many of my friends said that these subjects aren't really important so they don't count to your overall rank. So I didn't revise these subjects very often.
Many of my friends said that these subjects aren't really important so they don't count to your overall rank. So I didn't revise these subjects very often.

Well that was not smart of you to listen to your friends. At the end of the day every subjects count irrespective of what you think. I do agree with you in the sense that some subjects are classed as more important than Music, Art or Drama such as Maths and English but like i said before subjects are subjects and you have to do well in all in order to proceed to your next stage of education.

This is not a good excuse btw
This is not a good excuse btw

Besides, why would I need a Music GCSE in my life???
I mean who choose that anyway...lucky I didn't choose it as an option.
Who do you think is smarter after looking at both of the peoples results.
Science
Me: B
Other guy: D+
Maths
Me: C-
Other guy: C
Religious Education
Me: B+
Other guy: B-
English
Me: B
Other guy: C+
French
Me: D-
Other guy: D+

who cares?
Besides, why would I need a Music GCSE in my life???
I mean who choose that anyway...lucky I didn't choose it as an option.

Well...you may think that you do not need it in life but you may do for example when applying to uni they will like to see that you are a well rounder person and not just academic focused. Now this is where subjects like Music, Drama and Art come in as they show that you are a creative person that likes to think outside the box.

I did not pick music either but wished i picked drama.
To begin with the guy and I are not friends. We just talk from time to time. Here is one fact about him, he isn't smart. Since he has been in top set he has been acting really cocky. In addition there are about 30 other people who are in middle set who are smarter than him. I'm not the only one who is angry at this guy being in top set. But we'll just have to wait and see. We are getting our full results and new sets next week. My plans are that he drops a set and he cries boy he will cry. I know that he will drop, from personal experience I stayed in top set twice. Do you know why?
Because I thought I was smarter than everybody else. That is what is happening to him now. Let me tell you another thing, ive worked way harder than him. Recently my name appeared on the newsletter because I was frequently asking my teachers for help. Ive never seen this guy ask for help, he flukes his way through. Every time I see him I feel like the school is saying "Yeah, he is smarter than you because he is in a higher set", but that clearly isn't the case when we compare our grades. I'm trying to move on but it's very hard to accept that he is apparently "smarter" than me.

I think you should focus on yourself rather than what he is doing and what set everyone is at. That is not imporatnt as from personal experience the people that were in the bottom set in my school occasionally got the same grades as the people at the top sets and even the middle sets. Schools use the sets system to divide students apart because everyone is different and has different abilities. I do know how you feel but if i were you i will try not to be bothered about that and focus on my work to improve those grades.
Well...you may think that you do not need it in life but you may do for example when applying to uni they will like to see that you are a well rounder person and not just academic focused. Now this is where subjects like Music, Drama and Art come in as they show that you are a creative person that likes to think outside the box.

I did not pick music either but wished i picked drama.

Then what did you pick?

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
Then what did you pick?

German, History and health and social(2 GCSEs)

Firstly, Lochender wasn't implying that you and 'the guy' (how rude?) are friends, he was merely explaining to you that rivalry is normal (to a certain extent) but what you are doing is just vicious.

Secondly, "he isn't smart?"... wait, you're saying you are? :congrats:

Thirdly, if you're getting your grades and new sets next week why do you feel the need to burden people on TSR, who are actually revising, of the story of your lovelife? It's seriously not interesting, pathetic more like. I pity 'the guy', he has to go to school with you.

Fourthly, what the hell? You wish someone will cry? Why, because he got more or less the same grades as you but is still 'stupid'?

'I stayed in top set twice'. :daydreaming: Please tell me more. I really want to know. I'm sure colleges will love hearing about this. So would universities and unlucky employers. Would it hurt your ego if I told you I have been in the top set my entire life? (Sorry guys, I don't normally brag or sound like I'm bragging but boy is this guy annoying me). :facepalm:

Are you sure that you and this guy haven't dated? You sound like a jealous ex. Just saying :hump2:

Your name appeared in the school newspaper? Bravo, bravo. Wait, so you ask for help, he doesn't and that automatically makes you more clever than him? It can't have been because he actually understood the work? No, that would be silly!:lol:

He flukes his way through? It's been my experience that people who 'fluke' their way through exams and still achieve more or less pass grades are more clever than those who *cough* 'revise' and achieve the same grades. Has that ever occurred to you? That someone is more clever than you? Or were you just too preoccupied with hatching a plan to ruin this kid's life? I don't see this 'other guy' complaining or whining. It just shows who has self worth and who doesn't. I'm sure you can get that checked, they might give you pills to make you feel wanted.

Is it really that hard to get to terms with the fact that you and him are on par with each other, with him excelling possibly (drama being one subject he excels in)?

Let me give you a reality check. In my school, the top sets have kids who are achieving A* in every subject. I mean every. Most are not what you might call naturally clever and some are just downright stupid (seriously try talking to them). Some of these people were getting level 4a's and 5c's in KS3. GET OVER KS3! NOBODY CARES ABOUT IT! The simple truth is that these guys realised that instead of focusing on other people, they needed to invest their time and passion into themselves and their education. From D and E grades, they have pushed up to A* grades. Trust me, GCSEs are not hard to do. At all. The fact that you are calling this 'guy' dumb/stupid (which you have no right to do, because in the great scheme of things, you are totally imbecilic) shows your raw, unchanneled passion which if you could just harness and actually put to some good use, would see you achieving and excelling your forecast and target grades.

I know some teenagers who were in set 4/5- SEN students. Instead of whining about people in higher sets than them, they revised long and hard. They received all As and a few Bs. Better grades than you. You want their home addresses? I'll need your full name though so I can give an accurate statement to the police when they catch you.

That's it for now. Please reply, I'm waiting in anticipation for your response. Go on, it will make my day.

(Zeetingman, your B grade in English might mean you need the assistance of a dictionary so I decided to be kind and caring. Here is a link... http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/. I also invite you to read this link in order to understand how to use dictionaries http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Dictionary)

See how caring I am? If you try being this campassionate don't you think life would be easier? :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zebby1999
Firstly, Lochender wasn't implying that you and 'the guy' (how rude?) are friends, he was merely explaining to you that rivalry is normal (to a certain extent) but what you are doing is just vicious.

Secondly, "he isn't smart?"... wait, you're saying you are? :congrats:

Thirdly, if you're getting your grades and new sets next week why do you feel the need to burden people on TSR, who are actually revising, of the story of your lovelife? It's seriously not interesting, pathetic more like. I pity 'the guy', he has to go to school with you.

Fourthly, what the hell? You wish someone will cry? Why, because he got more or less the same grades as you but is still 'stupid'?

'I stayed in top set twice'. :daydreaming: Please tell me more. I really want to know. I'm sure colleges will love hearing about this. So would universities and unlucky employers. Would it hurt your ego if I told you I have been in the top set my entire life? (Sorry guys, I don't normally brag or sound like I'm bragging but boy is this guy annoying me). :facepalm:

Are you sure that you and this guy haven't dated? You sound like a jealous ex. Just saying :hump2:

Your name appeared in the school newspaper? Bravo, bravo. Wait, so you ask for help, he doesn't and that automatically makes you more clever than him? It can't have been because he actually understood the work? No, that would be silly!:lol:

He flukes his way through? It's been my experience that people who 'fluke' their way through exams and still achieve more or less pass grades are more clever than those who *cough* 'revise' and achieve the same grades. Has that ever occurred to you? That someone is more clever than you? Or were you just too preoccupied with hatching a plan to ruin this kid's life? I don't see this 'other guy' complaining or whining. It just shows who has self worth and who doesn't. I'm sure you can get that checked, they might give you pills to make you feel wanted.

Is it really that hard to get to terms with the fact that you and him are on par with each other, with him excelling possibly (drama being one subject he excels in)?

Let me give you a reality check. In my school, the top sets have kids who are achieving A* in every subject. I mean every. Most are not what you might call naturally clever and some are just downright stupid (seriously try talking to them). Some of these people were getting level 4a's and 5c's in KS3. GET OVER KS3! NOBODY CARES ABOUT IT! The simple truth is that these guys realised that instead of focusing on other people, they needed to invest their time and passion into themselves and their education. From D and E grades, they have pushed up to A* grades. Trust me, GCSEs are not hard to do. At all. The fact that you are calling this 'guy' dumb/stupid (which you have no right to do, because in the great scheme of things, you are totally imbecilic) shows your raw, unchanneled passion which if you could just harness and actually put to some good use, would see you achieving and excelling your forecast and target grades.

I know some teenagers who were in set 4/5- SEN students. Instead of whining about people in higher sets than them, they revised long and hard. They received all As and a few Bs. Better grades than you. You want their home addresses? I'll need your full name though so I can give an accurate statement to the police when they catch you.

That's it for now. Please reply, I'm waiting in anticipation for your response. Go on, it will make my day.

(Zeetingman, your B grade in English might mean you need the assistance of a dictionary so I decided to be kind and caring. Here is a link... http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/. I also invite you to read this link in order to understand how to use dictionaries http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Dictionary)

See how caring I am? If you try being this campassionate don't you think life would be easier? :biggrin:

hear hear
Original post by Lochender
hear hear

I skipped his post after reading the first paragraph.
perhaps he works harder than you
Reply 79
Doesn't matter who's smarter mate when you're both distinctly average.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending