The Student Room Group

Applying for the Royal Navy Reserves while at University

Hello,

I am currently in my first year at university. I have always had an interest in joining the armed forces and I thought this would be a good opportunity to do so.

Is there anyone who has joined the RNR while at university? If so is it manageable? And any other information on your experience of it would be helpful
:smile:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Join the URNU, that's what it's there for.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
Join the URNU, that's what it's there for.

I've had a look, but what's the difference? (Besides obviously one fits around university life)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LewiTheTree
I've had a look, but what's the difference? (Besides obviously one fits around university life)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are committed to less training days per year with the URNU than the Navy Reserves, although in all likelihood you'll end up doing as many training days with the URNU as you would be required to with the reserves.

The URNU are more forgiving if you have to miss a training evening or weekend, as long as you go through the correct channels to excuse yourself and you have a valid reason, however the vast majority of Navy Reserve units will have no problem with you excusing yourself from training if you have a valid reason either.

While the URNU are officially part of the Royal Navy there is not even the possibility of active service, so you wouldn't ever have to worry about being called up. However I know that with the Army Reserves (and I would assume the Navy is the same), being a full time student grants you exemption from being called up anyway, so if you joined the Navy Reserves while you were at University then you would not have to serve while you were still at University.

In short while the URNU is targeted as the Student alternative to the Reserves there are very few actual differences. The main difference between the two really will be who you are training with, obviously with the URNU it'll be entirely students around your own age whereas with the reserves you'll have a much greater range of people around you.

Ah yeah, and you'd likely have a harder time getting in to the URNU than you would the Navy Reserves. The URNU, much like the UAS and UOTC (the RAF and Army equivalents), have a very limited number of places and usually turn away a lot of people, so while with the actual reserves if you meet the entry requirements then you'll be in, with the University services even if you meet the requirements there's still a good chance that other people will be selected over you.
Reply 4
Original post by mackemforever
You are committed to less training days per year with the URNU than the Navy Reserves, although in all likelihood you'll end up doing as many training days with the URNU as you would be required to with the reserves.

The URNU are more forgiving if you have to miss a training evening or weekend, as long as you go through the correct channels to excuse yourself and you have a valid reason, however the vast majority of Navy Reserve units will have no problem with you excusing yourself from training if you have a valid reason either.

While the URNU are officially part of the Royal Navy there is not even the possibility of active service, so you wouldn't ever have to worry about being called up. However I know that with the Army Reserves (and I would assume the Navy is the same), being a full time student grants you exemption from being called up anyway, so if you joined the Navy Reserves while you were at University then you would not have to serve while you were still at University.

In short while the URNU is targeted as the Student alternative to the Reserves there are very few actual differences. The main difference between the two really will be who you are training with, obviously with the URNU it'll be entirely students around your own age whereas with the reserves you'll have a much greater range of people around you.

Ah yeah, and you'd likely have a harder time getting in to the URNU than you would the Navy Reserves. The URNU, much like the UAS and UOTC (the RAF and Army equivalents), have a very limited number of places and usually turn away a lot of people, so while with the actual reserves if you meet the entry requirements then you'll be in, with the University services even if you meet the requirements there's still a good chance that other people will be selected over you.

Thank you! You put a lot of detail and information into your answer and I appreciate your time. I'm going to apply for the Navy Reserves but I'll ask what they think is best about the URNU.

I would still appreciate if anybody had any other information about past experiences with either?

Thanks,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting your degree is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing about being at uni. The RN made the URNU to fit around doing that, so you can do both. You haven't given any reasons why you think the RNR would suit you better.
Reply 6
Original post by ProStacker
Getting your degree is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing about being at uni. The RN made the URNU to fit around doing that, so you can do both. You haven't given any reasons why you think the RNR would suit you better.

Yes I know that...but I didn't state myself clearly. I meant I would enquire about both, considering it would be more difficult to get Into the URNU.

Do you know if the application process/fitness requirements are the same for the UNRU?

Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yes I know that...but I didn't state myself clearly. I meant I would enquire about both, considering it would be more difficult to get Into the URNU.

Do you know if the application process/fitness requirements are the same for the UNRU?

Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They will be essentially a scaled down version of the RN's application system. But with the obvious caveat that only people at those specific universities can apply for it, so you have a much smaller pool of competitors.

The only disadvantage the URNU would present would be that they only recruit during Freshers.

Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never actually been in the URNU, however I have been part of two different UOTCs and I know a few people within the URNU and every one operates differently.

For example with Liverpool UOTC they had a very large number of places to start with and so everybody got in provided that you passed a very basic fitness test (something like 20 pressups in a minute, 20 situps in a minute and a 1 mile run in under 15 minutes) but once you were in they whittled down the numbers quite quickly, getting rid of people who were not improving or who weren't putting in enough effort during training. Exeter UOTC on the other hand had a much more stringent testing day as they had far more applicants and less spaces available, so while the fitness tests had no required performance level you were essentially competing against every other applicant and then there were command tasks, a group debate, interviews and a medical.

So your best bet would be to look on facebook for whichever URNU you would be applying to join, most of them will have a page, and post up a question on there and you'll get a relevant answer for that particular unit.
Reply 9
If you have an URNU unit near you, apply for that! It's a lot more student orientated and would suit most students better than the Reserves. You'd get to go on their P2000 patrol boats, go on exercises etc whereas in the RNR, you'd spend the first period (can't remember the exact time scale but over 12 weeks) in a classroom going through the task-book. After that, you'd then have to complete basic training and then continue your branch training at the unit. So if you actually want to be hands on etc, I'd go for the URNU!
Reply 10
Original post by Harpoon
If you have an URNU unit near you, apply for that! It's a lot more student orientated and would suit most students better than the Reserves. You'd get to go on their P2000 patrol boats, go on exercises etc whereas in the RNR, you'd spend the first period (can't remember the exact time scale but over 12 weeks) in a classroom going through the task-book. After that, you'd then have to complete basic training and then continue your branch training at the unit. So if you actually want to be hands on etc, I'd go for the URNU!

Thanks! If I go to my recruitment office will they give advise on the UNRU? Or would I have to contact them another way?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! If I go to my recruitment office will they give advise on the UNRU? Or would I have to contact them another way?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, the AFCO should have information or you might be better finding out which is your local URNU and contacting them directly.
Reply 12
Original post by Harpoon
Yeah, the AFCO should have information or you might be better finding out which is your local URNU and contacting them directly.

Thanks for your help!

I will let you know how my application goes. I've just booked the initial presentation for the 6th January.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest