The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am going to try collect it in a moment from the police. Here's hoping they don't start formally questioning me otherwise my dad says I will have to decline and say wait for me to get my lawyer (dads friend) sorted out as he needs to be present.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by flutterby-x303
But what I am thinking is that the police might after some time (if they don't destroy it) contact me from the address given on it. They will ask if I knew it was taken in by the bar and then the whole lying process starts again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never happened to me. My sisters friend used my ID and got it confiscated and sent to the police around November last year. I genuinely didn't know about it but I never heard anything from the police.
Original post by Tw1x
Never happened to me. My sisters friend used my ID and got it confiscated and sent to the police around November last year. I genuinely didn't know about it but I never heard anything from the police.

Maybe you were lucky... I don't want to take the risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Incase anyone wants an update:

The bar said the id was sent to the police on Tuesday and that it takes 2-3 days before the police process them.

However my mum then phoned the police and they said they don't actually receive any id in these situations. I don't know why the policeman didn't tell me this when I personally visited the station on Wednesday...

Anyway so my dad thinks the bar have just destroyed my id. But why would they do that? That's completely wrong of them and they have no right to destroy something that is legally mine. But I suppose it's an inconvenience to ensure nothing like this happens again. At least the police seem not to have taken it further.

Anyway the bar manager said he will look for it again and phone back because he didn't actually say it was destroyed. If it is lost or destroyed I will obviously have to apply for a new one and my friend understands that due to the pressure put upon me to give it to her in the first place, she has offered to pay whatever the cost is. Does anyone know how much it costs to get a new id?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Incase anyone wants an update:

The bar said the id was sent to the police on Tuesday and that it takes 2-3 days before the police process them.

However my mum then phoned the police and they said they don't actually receive any id in these situations. I don't know why the policeman didn't tell me this when I personally visited the station on Wednesday...

Anyway so my dad thinks the bar have just destroyed my id. But why would they do that? That's completely wrong of them and they have no right to destroy something that is legally mine. But I suppose it's an inconvenience to ensure nothing like this happens again. At least the police seem not to have taken it further.

Anyway the bar manager said he will look for it again and phone back because he didn't actually say it was destroyed. If it is lost or destroyed I will obviously have to apply for a new one and my friend understands that due to the pressure put upon me to give it to her in the first place, she has offered to pay whatever the cost is. Does anyone know how much it costs to get a new id?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Driving license? It was £20 last time I replaced mine
My mum says it's £70 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mum says it's £70 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's definitely not 70 if it's a drivers licence I think it's 70 if it's a passport.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lyrical_lie
It's definitely not 70 if it's a drivers licence I think it's 70 if it's a passport.

You are correct it's is £20. I have applied for a new licence. It says it will take two weeks, but then I have to get my photo on it don't I? So it will take longer than two weeks for the whole thing to be completed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty sure it'll have your photo on it as its a replacement however it's been a few years since I bought mine.
You are correct it's is £20. I have applied for a new licence. It says it will take two weeks, but then I have to get my photo on it don't I? So it will take longer than two weeks for the whole thing to be completed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lyrical_lie
I'm pretty sure it'll have your photo on it as its a replacement however it's been a few years since I bought mine.

Ok, I did have to re register though. I don't mind obviously it would be quicker is the photo is already there but I wouldn't mind changing it because I didn't look great in my original one ahah :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So on Wednesday evening I stupidly gave my licence to my underage friend. She looks fairly similar to me, it works most of the time in shops but strict clubs and pubs can vary..

Anyway she got into one pub then didn't get into the second which was more of a bar/club. The bouncer looked at the photo, said he didn't think it was her but asked for a second proof to double check. She didn't have another but for some stupid reason she got out her credit card (with her proper name on it ie different to my id) and said it was her mums. Anyway the bouncer took the id and my friend asked how to get it back and he said go to the local police station.

I feel like I want to wait for the police to contact me first. If they do will I get a criminal record or something that future employers can see? And will my friend get equal or less consequences? Bearing in mind although she is underage she was the one who actually used the id. (But I still gave it to her after she pressurised me).

Is it best to be totally honest in this situation, if the police do contact me (how likely is this?)? The other option I thought is this:

Pretend I was out in that area a couple of days before and make out that I lost my id. If I do this, do I let the police (or dvla?) know I "lost" it - as that is what one would realistically do if they lost id, or do I just wait and see if the police contact me and then act shocked that it's lost? The only problem is if the bouncer remembered my friends actual name from her card, told the police this and they track her down and go to her house to ask questions. If they do, this the "lost" idea wouldn't work as my friend would surely tell the truth and say I let her have it to get into a club. I mean she wouldn't want to admit she licked up my id off the streets AND used it at a club because that's stealing and fraud.

My friend says it may not definitely be with the police yet and that if no one comes to claim it they destroy it. But surely that's just if the id is lost not if it's handed in by a bouncer who writes a note saying it was used in a fraud attempt....? Police surely wouldn't destroy potential evidence.

I am confused what to do, my friend is saying don't contact the police and just let the dvla know I need a new license. But the police are probably already involved because the bouncer mentioned the id would be at the station.

I guess my main problem is I don't want to get a caution which according to my dad means employers can see I have committed fraud.? Has anyone else been in a similar situation or knows anyone who has been in a similar situation?

Another option was to go back to the club, lie and say look it was me that night, give my passport as back up and they may give my id back to me? Or if I say this to the police that it was actually me at the club... I then I don't want CCTV to get involved, or for the police to contact the bouncer to check if it was me there or not.

This is such a bad situation and my dad is making it out to be an awful situation. I am not a bad girl and I don't want to have any record. Help please!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've committed a crime, so it's best to stick your hands up to it before the police track you down using your ID. What you did was foolish, and I highly suspect that you may be convicted given how many police forces are cracking down on underage drinking. If you held your hands up though, it could be see as a mitigating factor and you could be let off with a caution or recieve a smaller fine should this be taken before a magistrate.
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
You've committed a crime, so it's best to stick your hands up to it before the police track you down using your ID. What you did was foolish, and I highly suspect that you may be convicted given how many police forces are cracking down on underage drinking. If you held your hands up though, it could be see as a mitigating factor and you could be let off with a caution or recieve a smaller fine should this be taken before a magistrate.

The police know what has happened and one policewoman admitted to doing this when she was younger. She says they don't convict anyone for doing it but the hassle of collecting the id normally means people don't do it again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey i was wondering if tis issue got resolved and how?

Latest

Trending

Trending