The Student Room Group

Minimum rest between shifts in retail

I work in a shop and just wondered what the minimum rest is, on one day im in 12.30-9.30 then the day after 7-1.30
Reply 1
Oh yeah i know that but this one im wondering is minimum rest between shifts?
Original post by phil2
Oh yeah i know that but this one im wondering is minimum rest between shifts?

I think it's 11 hours, but don't quote me on that.
I thought it was 8 hours but according to this it's 11
https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/overview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
So if im working till 9.30 one evening then im in at 7 the day after, not 11 hours, thats illegal? Always do it at work, most work till 8.30 and are in at 6!
Reply 5
not that i can remember, i may menchen it just to see in a nice way, dont volunteer
Original post by phil2
I work in a shop and just wondered what the minimum rest is, on one day im in 12.30-9.30 then the day after 7-1.30

Yea I was looking into this for my boyfriend as often he works til 10pm then starts at 7am the next day at Morrisons but he's too worried he won't get shifts if he doesn't just work it.
Reply 7
yes i am bothered its tiring all days long 5 days in a row mixture of early and lates some extra hours in bed would help
you CANNOT opt out of the daily rest requirements

even if you have signed a EWTD ' opt -out' all that covers is the 48 hours average working week .
Original post by J-SP
Apologies - I didnt know that, I thought it was one and the same.

Strange how a major retailer is allowed to have shift patterns where everyone is not getting their 11 hours then.

lack of effective Union presence combined with a lack of roles where fatigue is a safety issue ( as the transport side is often contracted out and comes under driver's hours anyway e.g. all the Knowhow Artics and a l the M+S dry goods trucks are DHL supply chains ( M+S food trucks are GIST)
Original post by J-SP
If it's a legal requirement without a loophole though, I'm still surprised. A lot of industries are not Unionised but are still subject to employment laws and regulations. The employers must think the risk of being taken to a tribunal is very low.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's one of these elephant in the room topics, combined with the casualisation of labour in the 'normal shop assistant' type roles...
Original post by phil2

If you are under 18 then its 12 hours.
If you are over 18 then its 11 hours.
Reply 12
Pain how they get away with it ha
Original post by lyrical_lie
Yea I was looking into this for my boyfriend as often he works til 10pm then starts at 7am the next day at Morrisons but he's too worried he won't get shifts if he doesn't just work it.

He should ask the store manager about that because at my work we have 6 am - 2 pm / 12 midday - 8 pm shift patterns and if someone does 12 to 8 pm, and the next day they have 6 am shift, they can leave home at 7 pm but this was not mentioned in our contracts. I don't work for Morrisons but for another major retailer in their warehouse :smile:
For sales, stocktakes, VM etc I always finished at 9/10pm and had to be in again at 5/6am the next day.

Like many things in retail, it's just exploiting people. They know that they'll never get called out on it.
I used to work Fridays 6-10 pm and then again on Saturday 7-1 am, but they said they would change my shift, however I asked them not to as it suited me and meant I could travel the 30 miles to make my football games which kicked off at 3.

It can be tiring but I find once your up after half an hour you are fine. I also used to sleep at about 2 and wake up for 5 am. We underestimate the strength of our resolve a lot of the time
Same here i worked till 10 pm then in again at 7 am next day. but have to get up at 6 am to travel to work and tired at work
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending