The Student Room Group

Applying through extra

It's probably early to ask about extra right now, but has anyone applied through extra and really happy with their course?
I already have one offer but I don't think the course is really for me, is it worth rejecting this offer and apply through extra instead? And if it's for a different course, will I need to submit a different personal statement?
Original post by Nina77
It's probably early to ask about extra right now, but has anyone applied through extra and really happy with their course?
I already have one offer but I don't think the course is really for me, is it worth rejecting this offer and apply through extra instead? And if it's for a different course, will I need to submit a different personal statement?

I haven't applied through extra, but I do think the majority of people who do so end up happy with their course.

As Extra doesn't open for a while, I would first wait and see if you get any other offers, and see what courses are in Extra before you reject any offers you have. Some unis don't withdraw courses from Extra very efficiently, so it might be a good idea to check with the uni that there are still spaces before you reject the offers you hold.

You cannot change the personal statement (or the reference) on your UCAS application, but many unis will allow you to submit a supplementary personal statement for your new course. This can be a disadvantage, in some cases, but most universities accept that people change their mind.
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I haven't applied through extra, but I do think the majority of people who do so end up happy with their course.

As Extra doesn't open for a while, I would first wait and see if you get any other offers, and see what courses are in Extra before you reject any offers you have. Some unis don't withdraw courses from Extra very efficiently, so it might be a good idea to check with the uni that there are still spaces before you reject the offers you hold.

You cannot change the personal statement (or the reference) on your UCAS application, but many unis will allow you to submit a supplementary personal statement for your new course. This can be a disadvantage, in some cases, but most universities accept that people change their mind.

Thanks for the info and advice. Do you think I can ring the uni to see if they have any places in their course before I reject my offer so that it's not too risky?
And for people who applied through extra, was the subject really different to their original choice?
Original post by Nina77
Thanks for the info and advice. Do you think I can ring the uni to see if they have any places in their course before I reject my offer so that it's not too risky?
And for people who applied through extra, was the subject really different to their original choice?

Can't comment on the happiness or otherwise of people who go through Extra, but it is vital that you check with a university which advertises a course in Extra that the places really exist before doing anything else. Ucas places all courses into Extra as its default mode and it's up to the university to remove those which aren't, which is not something they often see as a priority.
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Can't comment on the happiness or otherwise of people who go through Extra, but it is vital that you check with a university which advertises a course in Extra that the places really exist before doing anything else. Ucas places all courses into Extra as its default mode and it's up to the university to remove those which aren't, which is not something they often see as a priority.

I'm really surprised to hear that they put all courses as default.

Do you know if southampton, bath, cardiff or the london unis have put up their science courses on extra?
Original post by Nina77
I'm really surprised to hear that they put all courses as default.

Do you know if southampton, bath, cardiff or the london unis have put up their science courses on extra?

I (and no one else, either) will know this as Extra doesn't open until February, after the deadline has passed.
Reply 6
I (and no one else, either) will know this as Extra doesn't open until February, after the deadline has passed.

I was supposed to say in previous years, should have made this clearer sorry
Original post by Nina77
I was supposed to say in previous years, should have made this clearer sorry

I'm not aware that this information is available anywhere other than anecdotally, and as I say, the lists aren't accurate. Also, 'science' is such a hugely broad term there will certainly have been something in that category.
Reply 8
I'm not aware that this information is available anywhere other than anecdotally, and as I say, the lists aren't accurate. Also, 'science' is such a hugely broad term there will certainly have been something in that category.

Okay, thanks. I was hoping somewhere along health and science like pharmacy
Original post by Nina77

It's a good idea to phone the uni in question first- but of course having spaces doesn't mean that they will accept you. You also need to be sure you can achieve the grades for the course you want, as you don't get an insurance choice applying via Extra.
Reply 10
It's a good idea to phone the uni in question first- but of course having spaces doesn't mean that they will accept you. You also need to be sure you can achieve the grades for the course you want, as you don't get an insurance choice applying via Extra.

Okay thanks. Also, will I have to reject the offer that I got already?
Original post by Nina77

Yes, Extra is only for people who hold no offers, either because they didn't get any in the first place or because the rejected those they did have. It's a case of not being able to have your cake and eat it too.
Original post by Nina77

You will have to ask the uni to release you from the offer you hold, yes. This shouldn't be a problem and is normally done in 24-48 hours at this time of year. When applying through extra, you can also only apply to one course at a time.
Reply 13
You will have to ask the uni to release you from the offer you hold, yes. This shouldn't be a problem and is normally done in 24-48 hours at this time of year. When applying through extra, you can also only apply to one course at a time.

How do I release this offer? can't I just reject my offer via ucas? Do they look at my personal statement that I've submitted on ucas?
Original post by Nina77
How do I release this offer? can't I just reject my offer via ucas? Do they look at my personal statement that I've submitted on ucas?

You need to contact the university where you hold an offer and ask to be released. Once you've firmed/insured a place, you can't just reject universities via the UCAS system.

They will be able to see your personal statement that you've submitted on UCAS, but it's unlikely that this will be read in any great depth if you've submitted another one more relevant to the course.
Original post by Nina77

I have applied through extra to do Adult Nursing at Hull University, I applied 5 weeks ago. It is very nervous as I had previously held 5 offers in doing a Maths degree and I had to reject them all. I submitted an extra personal statement to the university and they were fine with it. Even though it has been a nervous time for me, I feel it has been worth applying through extra I feel so much more comfortable with my course now. If anyone has applied through extra at hull please let me know how you get on as I am still waiting for a reply.
Reply 16
Original post by courteney1996
I have applied through extra to do Adult Nursing at Hull University, I applied 5 weeks ago. It is very nervous as I had previously held 5 offers in doing a Maths degree and I had to reject them all. I submitted an extra personal statement to the university and they were fine with it. Even though it has been a nervous time for me, I feel it has been worth applying through extra I feel so much more comfortable with my course now. If anyone has applied through extra at hull please let me know how you get on as I am still waiting for a reply.

Why don't you apply elsewhere because you can change your choice after 21 days. 5 weeks is an awful amount of time to be waiting as I applied through extra twice and received a reply both around 5 working days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending