The Student Room Group

Rejecting firm offer, applying through clearing

I know results day is quite far away, however can someone walk me through the process of rejecting my firm/insurance choice then applying through clearing? Would I need to reject my choices BEFORE I apply do clearing and if this is the case would there be a chance I could miss the spot in my preferred uni at clearing? I've had a change in heart and wanted to apply elsewhere however the date has already past and want to look into how the clearing process works incase I make a mistake on results day
Original post by chrischriston
I know results day is quite far away, however can someone walk me through the process of rejecting my firm/insurance choice then applying through clearing? Would I need to reject my choices BEFORE I apply do clearing and if this is the case would there be a chance I could miss the spot in my preferred uni at clearing? I've had a change in heart and wanted to apply elsewhere however the date has already past and want to look into how the clearing process works incase I make a mistake on results day

You can't formally apply via Clearing whilst holding an existing offer or place. So to apply, you'd need to first decline the place offered by your firm or insurance choice. There is the risk of not getting the Clearing place you were hoping for.

You can call unis informally and ask, "If I were to apply via Clearing, you'd you be likely to offer me a place?". However, some unis will not entertain such speculative conversations, and anything they say informally wouldn't be binding anyway.

Is the course you’re interested in available in Extra?
Just remember that Clearing is a total gamble - always.

The course and Uni you want may not be available - or you may not get the grades they still want.
Clearing applicants are always at the back of the queue for accommodation. This makes 'going to Uni' uncertain and at best a bit of a scramble to get it all organised and get everything in place in time. Drop-outs from Clearing applicants is high - that tells its own story.

I would always advise anyone withut a place to take a gap year and reapply for 2025 entry. This gives you much more time to think carefully about what you want to do, and why, and to be able to visit Unis and make a much safer decision.
Original post by PQ
Is the course you’re interested in available in Extra?

How am I able to see whether it is? Sorry I can't seem to find it
How am I able to see whether it is? Sorry I can't seem to find it

Search for courses on UCAS then adjust the results filter to only show courses with vacancies
Original post by PQ
Search for courses on UCAS then adjust the results filter to only show courses with vacancies

Yep found it and yes it is, sorry for the confusion.
Yep found it and yes it is, sorry for the confusion.

In that case ring them up tomorrow and explain the situation and ask if they are accepting applications through Extra (sometimes universities forget to remove courses when they’re full) and see what they say about applying.

No need to wait until clearing (and there’s no point in hanging onto offers for a course you don’t want to do anymore).

Worst case scenario is they don’t make you an offer so you can apply elsewhere in extra or wait and try again in clearing and if that doesn’t work then take a year out to reapply. Extra gives you an opportunity to have your place sorted out before clearing (and doesn’t stop you using clearing too!)
Original post by PQ
In that case ring them up tomorrow and explain the situation and ask if they are accepting applications through Extra (sometimes universities forget to remove courses when they’re full) and see what they say about applying.
No need to wait until clearing (and there’s no point in hanging onto offers for a course you don’t want to do anymore).
Worst case scenario is they don’t make you an offer so you can apply elsewhere in extra or wait and try again in clearing and if that doesn’t work then take a year out to reapply. Extra gives you an opportunity to have your place sorted out before clearing (and doesn’t stop you using clearing too!)
Thank you for your help, this is really helpful. I'll give them a call later this week.

Another question (thank you for your patience with me) but as the course is available through extra, could it then be likely that the course would therefore be available at clearing. Assuming that they haven't forgot to remove it, and I understand that it is still less likely to get an offer if I wait till then. This is a hypothetical question but I'd just like your opinion on it.

Thanks again for the help and sorry for all the hassle.
Thank you for your help, this is really helpful. I'll give them a call later this week.
Another question (thank you for your patience with me) but as the course is available through extra, could it then be likely that the course would therefore be available at clearing. Assuming that they haven't forgot to remove it, and I understand that it is still less likely to get an offer if I wait till then. This is a hypothetical question but I'd just like your opinion on it.
Thanks again for the help and sorry for all the hassle.

If a course isnt full now there is a chance it will be available through clearing. That will depend on the numbers applying before then and the numbers meeting their offer. It would make far more sense to apply now rather than risking clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending